home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #21
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I love both very much, but I think Star Trek is deeper, more creative, and more adaptable. For tl;dr - Star Wars is Saturday afternoon. Star Trek is my favorite class in school.

There was something very empowering about the A New Hope, which I saw at age 12. I suspect it was my first "coming of age" movie since I strongly identified with Luke. I don't think any of the other movies could match that, as enjoyable as they were in immersing you in the continued story and evolution of those characters.

Star Trek has this amazing ability to take the theme "to explore new worlds and civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before" and look at it from so many different angles, perspectives, and timelines.

While it had its very cheesy moments, I also think Star Trek TOS was deep and provocative for its time - the first interracial kiss, gender identity, inclusivity, nature of evil - were all explored in interesting ways. Just the very idea of a United Federation of Planets and an Earth that learned the futility of war was provocative at the height of the Viet Nam War, Civil Rights era, communist fears, and hopes/suspicions about the concept of a UN.

Right now, I'm loving Discovery (which is CBS's #1 online series). This season is tackling the question of faith head-on from different perspectives, and it's not insulting or trite.

Given the reach of Star Trek across half a century and the way it has reinvented itself for each new generation while being true to itself, I think it is actually more culturally successful than Star Wars, too.

Star Wars will stand the test of time and I really love it, but it's just not the same, IMO.

That said, I'm not sure you really could make a Star Trek Land in a theme park! It's more about discovery and character than battle. I'm not sure how many attractions you could get beyond a "Star Trek Mission Experience," so maybe a "Star Trek World Showcase" at best.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #22
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That said, I'm not sure you really could make a Star Trek Land in a theme park! It's more about discovery and character than battle. I'm not sure how many attractions you could get beyond a "Star Trek Mission Experience," so maybe a "Star Trek World Showcase" at best.

Dirk
A Star Trek Holodeck experience would be amazing! And you could have some really cool character meets!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #23
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
A Star Trek Holodeck experience would be amazing! And you could have some really cool character meets!

Any Princesses? Or similar...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Have you seen the "uniforms" the women wore on the original?

We enjoy seeing the things that seemed so futuristic but now are part of our lives: the communicators like cell phones; the desktop computer monitor; and the talking (although kind of cheesy mechanical) computer reminiscent of Siri or Alexa. Fortunately no phasers
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #25
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Uniforms from the original series...

Seven of Nine from Voyager...

Go ahead and start the series, Brian. “Resistance is futile”
Old 09-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #26
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
Have you seen the "uniforms" the women wore on the original?

We enjoy seeing the things that seemed so futuristic but now are part of our lives: the communicators like cell phones; the desktop computer monitor; and the talking (although kind of cheesy mechanical) computer reminiscent of Siri or Alexa. Fortunately no phasers

I haven’t, but now have to check...

Quote:
Uniforms from the original series...

Seven of Nine from Voyager...

Go ahead and start the series, Brian. “Resistance is futile”

I like. I like a lot. Hooray for character meets.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #27
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
But that's what it is - a fancy character meet and greet!

Still - an attraction with an option to choose your own holodeck experience out of a menu could be really cool. Cue the VR glasses . . .

Dirk

Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
FessParker1
Grand Villa

I think you all need to watch the Battlestar Galactica series with Edward James Olmos as Commander Adama.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #29
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
I think you all need to watch the Battlestar Galactica series with Edward James Olmos as Commander Adama.
Brian will explode . . .

Dirk

Old 09-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #30
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Brian will explode . . .

Dirk

Hey now, perhaps we should not provide too much information for the more innocent amongst us... But pleased, indeed. Quite pleased.