home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Default Igers income takes a hit

Don’t worry - it’s not his pay from Disney.

http://https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/13/bob-iger-resigns-from-apple-board.html

Effective Sept 10th Bob Iger resigned from the Apple Corp board of directors. It coincides with the date that Apple announced its new streaming service and pricing.

At the time of the Apple announcement I had thought how coincidental that Disney and Apple both had a similar service and pricing coming out at approx the same time while completely forgetting that Iger was on the Apple board. Personally I think it should have occurred once they were well on their way towards the service as I personally find it doubtful that there couldn’t have been some conflict of interest, no matter how minor, beginning at that time.

I guess Apple Watch owners will not get their wish for their watch working in place of a magic band.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Not sure if this is necessarily legally required, but it is certainly the right move ethically given that they are now sort of competitors in this area.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Not sure if this is necessarily legally required, but it is certainly the right move ethically given that they are now sort of competitors in this area.

Cheers.
No, not legally but his own board likely would have wanted it. Way to easy to think there's no conflict and suddenly run into competition of something or even just involved in a conversation that evolves a direction that makes it difficult.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Well, since I'm retired now I guess I could fill in. But all those plane flights to California, I don't know.....

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

I guess Apple Watch owners will not get their wish for their watch working in place of a magic band.
But it does! Using it for Apple Pay is about the same and avoids all the absurd Credit Card issues created by the resort desk.

More seriously, I wonder if there are any tech issues to prevent the watch from being your MB? I know for airline stuff, it read the QR code so it's a visual scan, but I think hotel doors are RFID, so presumably tap stiles and FP+ points could be, too.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:06 AM   #6
MMC1
Grand Villa

Why would DIsney need to create this using Apple when they could just create their own version ? I mean what’s another billion dollar investment here or there?
The announcement of the arrival of the new digital assistant for late 2020 called Disney Genie could include this.

Last edited by MMC1; 09-15-2019 at 01:35 AM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote