home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Default Skyliner Update???

I read this article this morning: https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/select-dis...-galaxys-edge/

It says that they are planning on opening a lot of the stations to HS on 8/28 for those of you who don't want to read it. The Epcot and Riviera stations will not be open though.

However, I know that many caution to take these articles from this site with a grain of salt. Has anyone heard anything concrete about when the Skyliner is opening other than "Fall 2019"?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

This weekend was the first time I had seen some of the changes made as result of this thing. Iím just shocked at how much vegetation they removed and how ugly it all looks now. It looks like they taken a giant utility line and run it through the middle of their resort. And itís hideously ugly. Very sad
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

I imagine the report is correct, if only because it makes perfect sense. Not having the new entrance and gondolas opened for Star Wars land seems like a really bad idea. The HS line has been ahead of Epcot for a while now too. There isn't really the need to open Epcot yet.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Yep, based on logic I trust the rumor. Based on site, I have a few grains of salt.

They've only got six weeks, and I don't know how much training with actual people in the gondolas Disney's going to want. Apparently you can get these things up and running with a new crew pretty fast, but only Disney trains to the hilt and imagines multiple scenarios to put the CMs through.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
This weekend was the first time I had seen some of the changes made as result of this thing. Iím just shocked at how much vegetation they removed and how ugly it all looks now. It looks like they taken a giant utility line and run it through the middle of their resort. And itís hideously ugly. Very sad
sadly I agree .. but you don't see them from the parks (or at least I didn't seem them). I noticed the line from the new Riveria resort to the transfer station to head to DHS. I runs towards Epcot Resort Blvd I think.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

I'd be quite surprised if they aren't open by then (those two). I'm hopeful there might be some soft open before then where we can play around but I'm fine waiting til November if need be.

If they didn't allow for a setting for doors to stay closed when passing through the Riviera station, then I can understand not wanting to open that line.

Actually now that I think about it, it's got to be that the updated bag check and entrance at the IG isn't done yet. Can't send the hordes through until it's 100% completed.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I heard that the Skyliner portion serving DHS would be open by Labor Day. The portion serving Epcot would come later, perhaps Oct-Nov. But hey....Its Disney, we woun't know until you read it online that its opened that morning.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I heard that the Skyliner portion serving DHS would be open by Labor Day. The portion serving Epcot would come later, perhaps Oct-Nov. But hey....Its Disney, we woun't know until you read it online that its opened that morning.

True, but this is kind of the rumblings I have heard as well.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
They have them all over the beautiful mountaintops at ski resorts, and no one seems to mind them. They look the exact same too except they usually have an added even more unsightly black mat around the base of them in case people ski into them. I will admit that I think they should have painted them to blend into the landscape more, but the look of them doesn't bother me as much. Maybe it was too expensive to paint and/or maintain the paint???
Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
They have them all over the beautiful mountaintops at ski resorts, and no one seems to mind them. They look the exact same too except they usually have an added even more unsightly black mat around the base of them in case people ski into them. I will admit that I think they should have painted them to blend into the landscape more, but the look of them doesn't bother me as much. Maybe it was too expensive to paint and/or maintain the paint???
The problem of blending changes from every different angle. From what I've read, to paint the galvanized steel columns would have to be something done during manufacturing as it would be tough to do on-site in the humid Florida weather outdoors. Then you'd have to try to pick the best color for each one or guess at the height of a two-tone paint-job. I think it's best to just leave them be and you will kind of forget them after a while. Some of the monorail beams look nasty but the focal point is really the trains, so you don't notice that much.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote