home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
WiggleWorm
Studio

Default Hilton Head vs. Vero Beach

We went this summer for the first time to Hilton Head. It was also our first time at a non-WDW Disney resort. We loved it! The kids liked it better than WDW. They loved the pool and slide, the arts and crafts projects, the nature walks, renting bikes, and all the games spread out on the resort grounds (shuffle board, horseshoes, etc). We also liked the marina across from the resort and some of the restaurants in town. We only went to the beach one day and they didn’t hate it, but it was crowded and they couldn’t really swim because of the waves. They liked the pool better because of the slide and that they could really swim and despite the resort being sold out for the week we were there, it never seemed crowded.

Now that we’ve done an off property resort, I’m wondering about trying Vero Beach next, but the kids really want to go back to Hilton Head. For those of you who have been to both, which would you pick and why? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages you see?

Thanks so much!
WiggleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
melk
Grand Villa

We’ve done both and I prefer Hilton Head.

Both resorts are very nice, exactly what you expect from Disney accommodations. But I think Hilton Head has more to do outside of the resort, more shopping, more restaurants, etc. I also like the beach better at HH than Vero.

We enjoyed Vero this past April as a three day rest after WDW. For that, it is perfect. But for a stand alone vacation I pick Hilton Head.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
IslaTurbine
One Bedroom

We did Vero for the first time in April and really enjoyed it, though we only stayed for two nights. We are going to HHI for the first time next month so I'm interested to see the replies that you get.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

We have done both as well. Several times to HHI, sure you have more options to do at HHI but if you really want to enjoy beach, VB will be my choice.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
AnnaS
Grand Villa

It's a tough one even though we have been to HH more than Vero. (just closer to home).

Vero - on the beach - but nothing within walking distance. Feels like a beach vacation.

HH - beach is a mile a way but it's not that bad (car, bike/shuttle) and there is so much more within walking distance. Feels like you are in the country with a beach close by. I think of it the lay out like OKW (on a much smaller scale) with a Boulder Creek type theme. You do need a car though to experience all the (other) great restaurants, shops, etc.

Curious what others think too.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
It's a tough one even though we have been to HH more than Vero. (just closer to home).

Vero - on the beach - but nothing within walking distance. Feels like a beach vacation.

HH - beach is a mile a way but it's not that bad (car, bike/shuttle) and there is so much more within walking distance. Feels like you are in the country with a beach close by. I think of it the lay out like OKW (on a much smaller scale) with a Boulder Creek type theme. You do need a car though to experience all the (other) great restaurants, shops, etc.

Curious what others think too.
That's interesting. We've been to HHI about 15 times and LOVE it. We were thinking of trying Vero, but it sounds as if Vero's not for us. For one thing, DH has had too many encounters with various skin cancers, so at this point, baking in the sun does NOT appeal to him. HHI=Nature, not just beach.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
WiggleWorm
Studio

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and insights!
WiggleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
RodriguezDVC
Studio

A couple of years ago I did my 50th birthday at VBR. We rented the 3 Bedroom Cottage for a 3 day weekend, which sits between the Beach and the Resort. There was nothing like having breakfast on the balcony overlooking the beach, then later having lunch on the other balcony overlooking the pool, watching my Grand Kids playing. That was VERY cool. We were thinking about doing the same for my wife's 50th at HH, but now she's not so sure because we found out the 3 Bedroom cottage doesn't sit on the beach, like it does at VBR

RodriguezDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We've done both and also prefer HHI. Although VB is right on the ocean you cannot see the ocean from the villas due to a high greenery wall they have between the villas and the beach. We requested top floor and got it but still had to stand on tip toes right at railing just to glimpse the ocean (still couldn't really see beach). The ocean view inn rooms do have a view but they are standard hotel rooms.

Also the resort is ALL there is for miles and miles. You have to drive down A1A to catch bridge over to mainland for any shopping, groceries, restaurants. About 12-15 minutes drive to any of that.

I think the waves are rougher at Vero too and the sun is hotter. My DS burned his nose really good. It all bubbled up. So bring strong sunblock and aloe (maybe even zinc for the nose, sunhats and long sleeve sun shirts are a plus too).

They close the beach at night due to turtle nests. And keep lights off all over resort. The resort has activities and such for the kids but they shut down pretty early.

We just find more to do on HHI. We were at VB for 4 nights and then went over to Universal for 2 nights. That was a nice way to do Vero but if we did again 2-3 nights would be plenty at Vero. It would also be a nice add to a cruise. But we would go bonkers if we did a whole week at Vero...we were stir crazy with the 4 nights.

In full disclosure, we own HHI points and go there often. Are even looking into buying something there so we can go several weeks out of the year.

Edit to add: forgot to mention our tag-a-long friend we picked up at Vero. It was a Huntsman spider the size of my hand (I am NOT exaggerating either...man I wish I got a picture but we were all panicked at the time). He was on our sliding minivan door that someone opened without seeing him and he then went into door and we were trying to swat him off and spray him with bugspray for humans. He disappeared into crevices of door and we then had to get in and drive to Universal. We hoped the bug spray and sitting in sun at Hard Rock Hotel for 3 days would hill him. We never did see him again. Vero is like the untamed tropics, man. Eeek...really opened my eyes to where we'll snowbird to and it won't be untamed tropics!

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection

Last edited by Lamima; 09-23-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
beachclubmum
One Bedroom

I keep meaning to check out VB but always end up in HH instead. Our friends with HH points thoroughly enjoy VB though and love it for their family vacations.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote