home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #1281
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Good to know Iím not the only one who uses that trick!

I actually recommend keeping the spare at home. That way if you lose everything you can just buy a new gift card and load funds from the spare to that (after having moved all lost card funds to the spare first of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
Always keep a spare on your account with no balance on it. That way, if you lose one, as soon as you realize it's gone, you can transfer the balance and help keep your money safe. While it can't help if someone has already spent money on the card, it can still help quite a bit.

Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #1282
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Last week we received a free 3 month membership to BJs discount club. They have $100 Disney gift cards for $95.69 right now. So we bought $1500 in gift cards for about $1440 and saved $60. We consolidated the cards online down to 2 cards. Every little bit counts. Arriving in 24 days.....cant wait!

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #1283
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Good to know Iím not the only one who uses that trick!

I actually recommend keeping the spare at home. That way if you lose everything you can just buy a new gift card and load funds from the spare to that (after having moved all lost card funds to the spare first of course).
I generally put everything on the magic band and then before check out, grab the gift card from the safe and pay the balance. So, in my scenario, really the only way to lose everything is between the airport and check in. I figure for someone to carry the no value gift card with them is in case they drop it, leave it somewhere, etc. We were at Abracadabar when the people next to us realized they left it somewhere a little while earlier. While trying to call the location, I just told her to log on her account, transfer the balance, and then, if they got it back, they could just transfer back.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #1284
Presley
Grand Villa

Keeping an extra card on the account is a great idea. I never thought of that.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #1285
sawickipedia
Studio

Just a heads up the 8% discount on Disney gift cards @ BJs is still (or back depending on your POV) for $25/$50/3x$50. Just placed my annual dues/annual pass/food money for next year order. Combined w/ the 2% we're getting back from our CC that's a cool 10% off for next year. I'll take it.

- Todd
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM   #1286
ColinBlair
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I saw the tip on the spare card left at home and thought I would post the tips on managing the cards that I have accumulated over the last few years.

1) Go to disneygiftcards.com and buy (at least) three different designs of gift cards. For example, buy an Aladdin card, a Jasmine card, and a Jafarr card.

Cards from disneygiftcards.com do not have scratch off sections. That means you don't have sticky areas on the backs of your cards. They are also more secure, they were never hanging on a rack in the store so no chance someone tampered with them. The printed numbers also don't have weird gaps.

2) Register the three cards on disneygiftcards.com with descriptive names Aladdin, etc.)

3) When buying cards in bulk from BJs, Sams Club, etc, the cards that you receive will have repeating numbers with an end section which is incrementing. I like to enter the numbers into a spreadsheet so that I can automatically enter up to the end of the repeating numbers. On store bought cards, that is typically everything not covered by the scratch off section.

4) Never keep funds in Ta-da Mickey (the standard red gift card with Mickey on it). If you have more than $3000, buy more custom cards in advance. This is probably just me being paranoid.

5) Designate one of the cards to be left at home as the spare. I have used a Ta-da Mickey as a spare in the past, but Jafar would seem to be a good candidate.

6) Do not scratch off the scratch off section of a Disney Gift card. The scratch off section is actually a sticker, and other disney gift cards work as excellent tools to peel the sticker off. Place one disney gift card on a table. Take a second card and place its edge at the edge of the sticker at an angle. Push that card, sort of like a chisel, under the sticker and it should roll up very easily. Note: careful using this method on non-Disney gift cards. At least some Target cards for example do not like this being done to them.

Using this method, you can get through a very large stack of gift cards quickly without having little silver specs all over the place.
ColinBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #1287
Disney dreaming
Two Bedroom

Thank You for posting I got the8% off and 5% back on discover. Buying $3000 for my dues.
Disney dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #1288
Disney dreaming
Two Bedroom

I also keep a spare on my account in case of losing my card.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #1289
Disney dreaming
Two Bedroom

I learned everything from these posts .Thank You to all that help.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #1290
Disney dreaming
Two Bedroom

Yes I use to scratch off but learned they peel right off.