home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
PSULion22
Grand Villa

The full time Orlando residents I know don't go near the parks if they can help it. You're not going to Splitsville or the AMC for entertainment. There will be better options closer to where you live. That goes for dining and shopping also.
Yes there are a lot of options in a very concentrated area. But that abundance also comes with increased traffic, crowds, and hassle.

The novelty wears off. Just like so many people you hear that want to move to Florida to be close to the beach, after a while you don't want to drive the 20 minutes and deal with cleaning up the sand. Sure, it's there if you want to go. But when it's there all the time, you don't feel the need to go as often. Don't get me wrong, you can still go much easier than you can now. So from that standpoint it's great. But, you'll be living there, not vacationing. Your habits will be different.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
M

I have always wanted to move, my wife will not have that heat, and she really isn't into Disney that much. But for the restaurant and bars, not just wdw but Orlando area it's worth it. Since that is really our day off activities.

Quick drive to either coast. Little longer drive and your in the keys...Cruse ship ports.
You get used to the heat in a year or two. Your body adapts and you learn to manage it.

The Keys are closer than you are right now, but I wouldn't call that a "little longer" drive. It's 4 hours minimum just to Key Largo, and could be 7-8 to Key West.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
chunter
Two Bedroom

very interesting posts. Good info!

Pappasitos is great! Tex-Mex in Houston is definitely fantastic. Actually, all kinds of great restaurants in Houston. And of course, NASA, Moody Gardens, Galveston, museums and affordable housing and lots of good jobs. But I definitely long for Disney world. Hopefully our trip in Jan. will help with that.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #14
Princess Amy
Grand Villa

We LOVE living in Orlando.....particularly 1 mile from the top entrance of WDW! We have AP’s to WDW and Universal.....we definitely do things different from when we vacationed here......but I honestly like it better.....the only time we spend an entire day in the park is when someone comes to visit.....most visits now for us is about 2 hours average.....we go in for 3 FP’s maybe get a snack and go home. We can watch the MK fireworks from our backyard which was a must if we were going to live in the area!

We use it for our excercise too! We try to go in 2-3 times a week...on average we walk 3-4 miles each trip. My folks moved here too and it’s been great for them to stay in shape!

Our favorite is all the dining options.....we have Table in Wonderland.....and use it multiple times a month.

AMC at Disney Springs is our go to theater......we joined the rewards program and enjoy free stuff all the time.

We moved from the West coast.....so we love all our new options to travel around the East Coast......there are super cheap flights to Europe and the Caribbean....last minute cruises.....and we have just found our new favorite places to explore....Florida Springs....there are hundreds. We love the weather pretty much all year except for July/Aug.....at the same time it’s the rainy season which keeps everything so green and beautiful. And the frequent rain drops the temp 10 degrees which keeps it humid but doable. This will be our 3rd summer in Florida....we already are more used to the humidity.....we don’t notice it near as much.

We also reach out and make friends with Disney CM’s....we have had many over for dinner! In fact one of our favorites that was here for a college internship last year....is coming back to visit us in a few weeks. We have met some amazing people here!

It’s not for everyone.....but I feel so blessed and lucky that we live here!

1993 Euro DIsney, 1996 Disneyland Hotel, 2001 Disney Grand CA, 2002 Grand Floridian, 2002 The Swan Resort, 2007 Disney Paradise Pier, 2009 SSR, 2009 Disney Grand CA, 2010 Animal Kingdom, 2010 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Disney Grand CA, 2012 Disneyland Hotel, 2012 BCV and OKW, 2013 Art of Animation and Beach Club Villas, 2014 Disney Grand CA, 2015 Beach Club Villas, Fort Wilderness, 2016 Fort Wilderness, BCV

Trip Reports and Other Posts:
Panama Cruise
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30303
WDW Picture Trip Report
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47299
Mickey Tye Dye Shirts
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32848
Matching Family Shirts
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=14
Princess Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Amy View Post
We LOVE living in Orlando.....particularly 1 mile from the top entrance of WDW! We have APís to WDW and Universal.....we definitely do things different from when we vacationed here......but I honestly like it better.....the only time we spend an entire day in the park is when someone comes to visit.....most visits now for us is about 2 hours average.....we go in for 3 FPís maybe get a snack and go home. We can watch the MK fireworks from our backyard which was a must if we were going to live in the area!

We use it for our excercise too! We try to go in 2-3 times a week...on average we walk 3-4 miles each trip. My folks moved here too and itís been great for them to stay in shape!

Our favorite is all the dining options.....we have Table in Wonderland.....and use it multiple times a month.

AMC at Disney Springs is our go to theater......we joined the rewards program and enjoy free stuff all the time.

We moved from the West coast.....so we love all our new options to travel around the East Coast......there are super cheap flights to Europe and the Caribbean....last minute cruises.....and we have just found our new favorite places to explore....Florida Springs....there are hundreds. We love the weather pretty much all year except for July/Aug.....at the same time itís the rainy season which keeps everything so green and beautiful. And the frequent rain drops the temp 10 degrees which keeps it humid but doable. This will be our 3rd summer in Florida....we already are more used to the humidity.....we donít notice it near as much.

We also reach out and make friends with Disney CMís....we have had many over for dinner! In fact one of our favorites that was here for a college internship last year....is coming back to visit us in a few weeks. We have met some amazing people here!

Itís not for everyone.....but I feel so blessed and lucky that we live here!

you make it sound amazing!
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
you make it sound amazing!
Right?!?!

Soon as I read her post, I had visions of my snow birding future.........
Old 05-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
Doug Disney
Studio

I have friends that moved from the Northeast to Celebration a few years back.

When they first moved, they were at WDW a couple times a week. They got the AP's with water parks.

Fast forward 3 years, they still get the AP, but they don't go in the summer at all, except water parks. They don't do whole days unless we're in town (like someone above said), and try to avoid weekends too. They pop in for a few hours, maybe 2 times a month.

Ironically, I was able to get them 7DMT, and FoP fast passes, which living there you can almost never get, as well as other popular rides. So there is that downside.
Doug Disney is offline   Reply With Quote