home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #41
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

We have eaten twice now at Skipper Canteen. I enjoyed it, but won't stress about an ADR there going forward. Our favorites in the MK are hot dogs at Caseys and The Plaza. I could eat at the Plaza every trip--great club sandwich, nice to sit down and have someone take my order in the air conditioning. I just wish it held more people.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #42
TinyTGO
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

we tried it once and really enjoyed the food.

We ate Shiriki Noodle Salad, Trader Lamb, and the Fried Chicken. All were delicious.

I think $30 for a couple lamb chops is quite expensive though, and I don't think that this restaurant would survive outside of the park at rate. As the prices for in park TS restaurants are all pretty much the same, it's pretty good if you are thinking about eating in the park.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #43
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Funny.....We "rarely" ever eat in MK. We EAT AT rystal Palace about once a year, for the characters. And Columbia Harbor House about once every 2 years. If anything, Mk is more of a "snacking" park for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
I ate there when they first opened and did not like the food. I should probably give it another shot. But why bother when the egg roll cart and a Dole whip are so close.
If we rope drop, we generally eat an early lunch at CHH or PB/CR and then do a couple of more things before heading out. Often, we'll park hop to another park after a break. If we come back, we snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We ate there our first day to avoid loud and crazy. Sadly it was exactly the opposite location for us our last MK day. So we left the park and went to Contemporary to eat instead. Really do like CH though but sad that there aren't better options.
There are some decent snacking options in MK, but even that's not great. Disneyland dining is so, so, so much better than MK - whether it's snacking, interesting QS, or a decent variety of TS options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
We have eaten twice now at Skipper Canteen. I enjoyed it, but won't stress about an ADR there going forward. Our favorites in the MK are hot dogs at Caseys and The Plaza. I could eat at the Plaza every trip--great club sandwich, nice to sit down and have someone take my order in the air conditioning. I just wish it held more people.
We like The Plaza but often don't think of it until it's too late to get an ADR. Really enjoy it, actually.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #44
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
There are some decent snacking options in MK, but even that's not great. Disneyland dining is so, so, so much better than MK - whether it's snacking, interesting QS, or a decent variety of TS options.

Dirk
Agreed on DL! Problem for us is we can only take so much junk/snack foods so when it's time for a real meal, we want something beyond just fried foods. We left because a lot of the sides for the kids were just fries and yogurt and yucky baby like apple sauce (no grapes, carrots, or apples). Just seemed short sighted compared to most places. CHH at least has those kind of options. The rest of MK doesn't Don't undesrtand why it's so lacking there.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #45
OldHalfElf
Studio

Default De gustibus non est disputandum

In sequence, we have had one lunch (excellent) and two dinners (one excellent and then one good) at Skipper Canteen.

What separated the excellent meals from the good one at Skipper Canteen seemed to me to be the relative attitudes of the servers as much as anything. I think heavy theming is a two-edged sword for servers: it makes their exuberance more pleasurable and their lack of exuberance more deadly, especially when earlier exuberant experiences provide a basis for comparison. The server on our third visit was a mature and slightly formal individual who would have fit in well at Mama Melrose's.

As WDW restaurants seem to become more similar in their offerings, servers really matter. Further to that general point, our last meal at Hollywood Brown Derby was *stellar*, due in great measure to the outstandingly good server. [For example: when I commented on the shrinking size of the Cobb salads, she gave a polite, pleasant, and substantive response, and also volunteered to pass the comment on to her superior. She took the entire dinner order for six adults by memory, with zero mistakes. Et cetera.]

I any event, at this time of year I offer family members an e-mail opportunity for Christmas season ADR recommendations, and I received one last week for Skipper Canteen from DD (29).

OldHalfElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #46
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I could eat at the Plaza every trip--great club sandwich, nice to sit down and have someone take my order in the air conditioning. I just wish it held more people.
The Plaza is one of our favorites. Good food, nice atmosphere, and reasonable price for Disney. At least I don't feel that Mickey was reaching into my wallet.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #47
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Havenít tried the Skipper Canteen, and likely wonít. Iím definitely not an adventurous eater, and their menu scares me. It sounds like a fun place to walk through, but not really interested in eating there.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #48
Mox147
One Bedroom

I have eaten there twice. Both times I throughly enjoyed my meal. I had the spicy noodle dish, shu mai app and chicken. I never could make it to dessert.