home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaMike View Post
In your opinion, what is the fastest and most efficient way to get to the Polynesian for an Ohanas dinner reservation, from Saratoga Springs? We’ll be requesting the Paddock (most distant bldg from Congress Park), so a quick walk to Disney Springs to catch a direct bus to the poly probably won’t work.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any and all help.

LouisianaMike
Fastest and most efficient will be Uber or Minnie Van if the finances and capacity work.

Most direct would be bus to MK. And then you have three options of varying benefits:
  • Ferry to TTC - and a nice 5 minute stroll through Polyneisan grounds to Great Ceremonial House. Lovely in the evening.
  • MK ferry to Polynesian. This will take the longest of the three options. It can also be quite lovely, especially as the sun gets lower. you will be dorpped off at the Poly dock by the volcano pool, and then a quick stroll to the Great Ceremonial House.
  • Monorail to Polynesian. Probably the 2nd fastest after ferry to TTC. You will have quite a hike from Buses to Monorail, and I think it's inside the security bubble, so you will have to be searched. In fact, same may be true for all three modes of transporation.

If time is of the essence, just pay the car fare . . .

Dirk
Old 05-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
wdwnomad
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I take Uber alot when staying at OKW. The drivers have always picked me up at my building. Just text them your building number and they will pull up.
wdwnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Disney has made Resort to Resort transportation difficult on purpose. It never use to be this way......not until Disney realized that it made them more money by offering only resort to park transportation.

If time was a factor and not money, I would take Uber......which is my preferred method. If I had a large group and small kids, I would use Minnie Van service.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
One of the alleged drawbacks of staying at SSR are the buses.

All the resorts have issues when trying to get ot other resorts. None of them are immune. Disney did this on purpose.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Wonderdog4
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaMike View Post
Thanks for the breakdown. It definitely looks as though taking a cab/Uber/Minnie van is the way to go. We’ve used the minnie vans several times from BWV when still in the test phase and loved the service. Do the Minnie vans pick you up at your building at SSR or is there a central pick up location. That’ll be the deal maker or breaker for us. Thanks again!!

LouisianaMike
When we were at SSR in February we saw Minnie Vans picking people up in front of their buildings.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Fastest and most efficient will be Uber or Minnie Van if the finances and capacity work.

Most direct would be bus to MK. And then you have three options of varying benefits:
  • Ferry to TTC - and a nice 5 minute stroll through Polyneisan grounds to Great Ceremonial House. Lovely in the evening.
  • MK ferry to Polynesian. This will take the longest of the three options. It can also be quite lovely, especially as the sun gets lower. you will be dorpped off at the Poly dock by the volcano pool, and then a quick stroll to the Great Ceremonial House.
  • Monorail to Polynesian. Probably the 2nd fastest after ferry to TTC. You will have quite a hike from Buses to Monorail, and I think it's inside the security bubble, so you will have to be searched. In fact, same may be true for all three modes of transportation.

If time is of the essence, just pay the car fare . . .

Dirk
We always ride the mono or boat from MK. My DD absolutely must have her Tanga toast. So we go for breakfast at least once usually twice at Kona.

It is absolutely in the security bubble and it very fast from the buses to either option. We notice a longer delay waiting for the boat than the monorail, so we always choose the mono.

We do the same when visiting Grand Floridian Cafe, DW loves the eggs Benedict.

Nevertheless, it does take about an hour depending on when you catch your stops. Busses to MK run every 10-15 minutes from SSR. Then you have to walk over to the boat\mono. Then ride that. it does take time, which we are thrilled to take. We love even traveling on the bus at Disney. The monorail is almost like a ride, and with nice weather the boats are great.

Fastest: drive or uber by a LONG shot.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
MickeyChris
Studio

Default Another route

I'll throw out another route just for fun. You could take the water taxi from Saratoga Boat Launch (behind Carriage House) over to the Cirque Du Solei/Disney Springs West and walk to the new bus/transfer station at Disney Springs West. Then get on a bus to Polynesian. The Minnie Van would be quicker, but its fun to consider all options :-) We used the boat launch between Saratoga and Disney Springs frequently on our last trip as it saves a lot of walking. The boats shuttle around every 15 minutes.
MickeyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
When we were at SSR in February we saw Minnie Vans picking people up in front of their buildings.
Minnie Van dropped us off at our building at SSR, and Lyft picked us up at our building. Lyft driver was also an Uber driver. We just hailed him on the Lyft app.

We were frustrated waiting for an AK bus that kept getting delayed, so while waiting for the bus, we called for Lyft, got picked up in the parking lot at Congress Park and made it to AK before the bus came. (Others we knew, waited).

Great feature!

Dirk
Old 05-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
dvcfan937
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

[quote=ocean702;1459188]Now that they’ve moved the buses at DS, in my opinion the walkway no longer makes sense (we used to use that system all the time).

I would bus to MK or Epcot and monorail from there, bu someone else might chime in with a better option

That's what I did on NYE the year before last for my dinner reservation in Ohana.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote