home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #21
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
MK? You mean DL?

Earl of Sandwich will be closing this summer to make way for the new hotel. I haven't heard if it will reopen in a new location.
To me -- Disneyland is the place (like WDW is the place) and the two parks are the Magic Kingdom and California Adventure. BUT... yes the park is called Disneyland, since it is the original.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #22
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I also forgot about Trader Sam's. We like to go there too.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
Presley
Grand Villa

I would ask at Blue bayou if it still has the dark bayou scenery. If it does, the ride being closed won't make any difference.

Carthay Circle is very good. The menu changes seasonally. There's an appetizer called fried biscuits that is very popular and always available. I'd describe it as a deep fried cheese ball moreso than a biscuit. It is amazingly good. They are actually quite filling, so if you order them, don't eat all of them before your entree comes out.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #24
Lovetheboardwalk
Two Bedroom

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Will be writing them down

My daughter was a CP at WDW - she is graduating from m university so we are celebrating ... no more tuition/rent payments!! lol Oh... and her commencement. So she picked Napa Rose for her celebratory dinner.

Not really a foodie...What is the Chef's Counter?

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

Disneyland ~ VGC May 2018
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly. & VCC
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
heathpack
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheboardwalk View Post

My daughter was a CP at WDW - she is graduating from m university so we are celebrating ... no more tuition/rent payments!! lol Oh... and her commencement. So she picked Napa Rose for her celebratory dinner.

The chefs counter is a 4 course meal that costs $100.

You are seated at one of two counters facing into the kitchen. One is at the pastry chefs station and the other counter looks into th main kitchen. The idea is that you get to watch the kitchen team do their thing. They are an impressive, well oiled machine. When we were there last, the line cook working right in front of us was continuously quadruple tasking, working at a stove/oven and at an opposite work table. Hed be doing something with one hand at the stove and something else with the other hand at the work table, and using on foot to shut the oven door. The dude was awesome.

But the executive chef was in the kitchen that night too, we got to see exactly how you deep fry a whole fish such that you pluck it from the fryer and plate it up and it appears to be swimming on the plate.

To us, it was really fascinating to see how complicated it was and how well orchestrated everything has to be to get all the orders right and done at the same time.

Before you start your meal, one of the chefs (in our case, the sous chef) will come over and ask your food preferences and then each person at the counter gets a unique 4 course meal. Everything we had (weve done this twice) was excellent.

We got the wine pairings for another $100 per head, I think. Be forewarned, the pours are generous. You might not want an intense Park day the next day, lol.

Our waiter was great, very engaging. The other couple at the counter were nice people, she was a Disney castmember who got a free meal certificate for something positive shed done at work. Her birthday, and her husband organized to have her birthday gift (a ring) hidden in her dessert.

Sous chef was very personable. Executive chef came by too to say hi.

Two solids thumbs up from us on the whole experience.

Member DVC Hilton Head Island & Villas at Grand Californian
Member Hyatt Vacation Club
Member Starwood Vacation Network
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #26
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

My Disneyland TR from my signature includes a segment on the chefs counter at Napa Rose if you want to see an example of it. (Jump to page 15)
luaulei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #27
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:

Ooooooooh, a very special celebration. Yes, NP is a good place to recognize such an important accomplishment. Congrats to your daughter and to the entire family. Well done, team!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #28
legenza99
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Then after your celebration dinner, definitely head over to Trader Sam's for drinks. Very fun if you can find a spot inside for all of the antics when certain drinks are ordered. The mugs that come with certain drinks are collectible and there is an entire market for buying and selling Trader Sam's mugs.
legenza99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
The.disney.couple
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenza99 View Post
Then after your celebration dinner, definitely head over to Trader Sam's for drinks. Very fun if you can find a spot inside for all of the antics when certain drinks are ordered. The mugs that come with certain drinks are collectible and there is an entire market for buying and selling Trader Sam's mugs.
Yesss! Forgot yo mention Trader Sams! Also forgot to mention Napolini for pizza and Jazz Kitchen is great as well.
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Renting a cabana and having lunch poolside is fun. Even the poolside offerings are wonderful at VGC, especially with a good glass of wine or beer.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...

5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib