home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #31
Sephorin
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
The bungalow beds were nearly the same in feel. We went from a studio to a bunglow and slept about the same.

I must be the odd duck because the PVB beds were the best we had been on in a very long time. Even the pillows weren't awful. I deal with a lot of back and neck issues and I never slept so well at Disney in my life. I wish they'd switch to beds like that everywhere LOL
I second that! All of the Disney beds I've slept in (really, ALL of the hotel beds I've slept in except for the ones at Bellagio) are so soft and squishy that I feel like my knees are touching my shoulders when I sleep. The only thing that works for me is to sleep on the very edge of the bed, on my side, and with a pillow between my legs.

I wish the PVB had something aside from studios (and bungalows). Regardless, I will definitely have to give those mattresses a try! Thank you for the information.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #32
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
I second that! All of the Disney beds I've slept in (really, ALL of the hotel beds I've slept in except for the ones at Bellagio) are so soft and squishy that I feel like my knees are touching my shoulders when I sleep. The only thing that works for me is to sleep on the very edge of the bed, on my side, and with a pillow between my legs.

I wish the PVB had something aside from studios (and bungalows). Regardless, I will definitely have to give those mattresses a try! Thank you for the information.
Our bed at BCV wasn't horrible, but I didn't love it. I know so many want soft and squishy but it's so bad for the back (which I am super sensitive to). Adding wood beneath as someone suggested to me once doesn't help the lack of support issue.

We make do with the 2 connecting studios at PVB and kind of like it really. The rooms are very large and the shower in the stand alone is my favorite. I have a hard time stomaching 2 bedroom point costs anyway in the monorail resorts so this is a good way of not spending too much too often.

Granted we don't use a full kitchen ever and laundry is nice but not a requirement. I'm not sure I'd want to pay the points for a 2 bedroom there though that isn't a bungalow (odd but true).
Old 04-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #33
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I always have at least 1 checked bag, because I take my own pillow everywhere. I can't sleep without it, so I can't comment on their pillows. If you are worried, take yours!

3 or so years ago I started traveling with my pillow most places. Too much possibility of aches and pains in the morning if I don't - just not worth it anymore.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #34
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

If the rooms have 2 beds and no sofa, they feel like any other hotel room anywhere! That's why we won't stay in a studio at OKW!

We have points at Poly and AKV. Our kids (DD25 - when she can get away from work to travel with us! and DS19 - when he's not at college!) have never complained about the sofa bed. One of them will take the Murphy twin if we don't have one of their friends along. But there's never a "fight" over who sleeps where! Also, my DH and I don't have any problems with the beds at WDW. Before we leave the room, everyone is charged with making their bed/sofa bed. We appreciate coming back to a lovely clean room each day!

I like being able to relax in the room and have a place to sit other than the bed!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #35
clhlaptop
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Agree with Poly. I only slept in the actual bed for about 5 hours. It was so uncomfortable that I pulled out the sofa bed. Much better! The actual bed was more like a concrete slab.
I felt the same way. It was the worst sleep we have ever had at a DVC resort.
clhlaptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #36
Poly2017
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay10 View Post
For the people who mainly stay in studios or like staying in them, what are your thoughts on the couch pull out beds instead of having another regular bed? This is one thing that I don't like because it is always a fight on who gets it. I'm not sure if this is the case in all studios, but I know they are in the Polynesian's and Beach Club's (maybe Boardwalk's?) studios, which is what we are looking into to buy points. Are they comfortable enough that they feel like you are sleeping in a real bed? I'm just kind of surprised that the non DVC rooms have 2 beds, but the DVC rooms get a couch bed.
I was worried about this too. Was at poly a month ago and the beds were fairly comfortable. The kids were worried because some pull out you can feel the springs, but this was better quality.
Poly2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #37
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

My kids have been sleeping on the DVC sofa beds for more than a decade without complaint. What they do "argue" about in good fun is who gets the pull down bed, since they both love that! Ironically, the tallest (nearly 6') usually wins that space and finds it extremely comfortable in spite of others who refer to it as a toddler or child's bed. Clearly, it is not
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; PVB; VGF; PVB; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #38
ajc
Two Bedroom

pros:
studios can sleep 5 with queen/double sofa bed, and pull down murphy bed.
can be comfortable for 4 with 2 in queen, 1 on sofa bed, 1 on murphy bed.
OKW sleeps 4 with two queen beds

cons:
double sofa bed is tight with two large/full sized people
NO floor space with all sleepers open

no chance I will sleep on sofa bed when the stay is on MY points (the "Queen" rules).
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #39
Jillybean315
Studio

Let me start by saying that I ruptured a disc between my L5 & S1 that resulted in my having fusion done in my lower back a few years ago, and I have absolutely no problems when sleeping on the pull outs in the villas. My best friend and her husband are also DVC, so we will often combine our points on a split stay or do a points transfer and travel together. The trips that we leave all of the children at home usually entail my hubby and me on the pull because my friend's husband is 6'4" tall and the pull out beds just are not long enough for him to sleep comfortably. They are always great about offering up the regular bed, but it really is not necessary as there are never issues with bars in your back, weird springs causing an uncomfortable lump, or sinking in the cushioning of the mattress.

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports: June, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2014
Boardwalk Villas: January, 2016
Beach Club Villas: September, 2016
POR-Riverside: October, 2016
Upcoming Trips:
Polynesian Villas:June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Bay Lake Tower: June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Old Key West: January, 2018

Upcoming: June, 2019

(Me) (DH) (DS age 13) (DD age 10)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #40
krisephillips
One Bedroom

Somehow our son always passes out after the parks on the bed (my side of course) and winds up sleeping in the bed with his mother. Rather than trying to scoop him up and dealing with the flailing/crying I windup sleeping on the sofa bed. The sofa bed is not very comfortable, I would rather just sleep on the sofa itself then the bed.

I like the fold down Murphy bed in the Poly studios though, they are very comfortable. I think Poly studios have the best layout. I wish all the DVC studios had the Poly layout (split bath/shower and pull down Murphy with sofa bed). Understand space at the smaller resorts would be an issue though.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote