home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
No can do.....California Grill will be closed on NYE for a private event. Ticket prices are around $450 per ticket....I think.
Last year's price was $650 per ticket plus tax!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

If you are going to Epcot on the 31st, Mexico has had a 5 course private dinner that will get you seating to watch Illuminations on NYE.

There is also a special buffet with characters at the pavilion where Party for the senses is held.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #23
taccol
Two Bedroom

I'd say Magic Kingdom if you've never done it! It's worth it for a one time experience. Our favorite NYE park is Epcot...we love how they celebrate ALLL day for the countries around the world. I also find it more expansive for locking down a view spot and hanging out during the day.

Epcot, we try to do every year. The Magic Kingdom was a one-time thing (so far)--it was a little CRAZY. We've also spent some great NYE at the resort...Bay Lake and Poly (resort side).

You'll have a blast!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #24
mitchwebb
One Bedroom

We did our second NYE and had a great time. We stay at BWV and like the easy of walking to Epcot.

Dec 30th we had three afternoon FP and then dinner at Calif Grill to see the fireworks. Left the girls at the park and they made it until 1am. Reservation for the 30th go quickly.

Dec 31st we like to sleep in have a good brunch and relax. We scheduled our Dinner at Crown Rose our first year and Tokyo Dinning this year. I like to schedule for the first firework show. Then FP Space ship earth, TT and MS. Works perfect with just enough time to walk back to France grab a drink and catch the fireworks.

https://pix.sfly.com/hFDWbY

The other thing I think to take in consideration is where you are staying. Getting around can take a long time the whole evening.
New Years BWV 12/28-1/3 (might sneak a day to potter land)
mitchwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #25
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
We got to Cali Grill on Dec 30th and watch the fireworks at MK. MK does the same fireworks on the 30th as they do on the 31st, including the countdown to midnight.

Yes, sir. An excellent way to begin the New Year’s festivities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
Is it possible to do the dessert party or use fastpass on December 30 for the fireworks?
Quote:
Yes.

We have watched them from Poly Beach, Pontoon Boat, Cali Grill, in front of Castle, back by train station.......and friends (Brian) have done the dessert party.

Without a doubt, the best was from in front of the castle. Nothing can replace seeing the fireworks in the round, from Main street.

Yup, benefit of the party is it gives you a bit more space than waiting amongs the masses. Alcoholic beverages would definitely make it better, but the sparkling cider is festive at least.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #26
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

ETA - sorry so long winded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
I have been thinking about dinner reservations at California Grill just so we can watch the fireworks from their balcony. I wonder if that applies to New Years Eve????

I have also thought about booking BLT just so we can use the TOWL lounge....if any villas at BLT are available at 7 months. For now we are booked at our home resort SSR...
See below, although I know these questions have already been addressed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
TOWL is also closed for private events 12/30-12/31
On 12/30-31, TOWL is restricted to guests staying at BLT

Quote:
Last year's price was $650 per ticket plus tax!
Yes, I agree....the ticket cost for CaliGrill last year was $650/person. I called MS at one point to discuss dining options for NYE and the representative told me CaliGrill was available....then proceeded to tell me it would be over $3900 for my party of 6.....

We have been to WDW the past 2 years for NYE:

NYE 2016 we stayed at BLT, had dinner at the Boathouse at Disney Springs and watched the amazing fireworks from ToWL.

If you aren’t planning parks for NYE, I recommend the Boathouse for a good, reasonably priced dinner. We timed it perfectly in 2016 and hit sunset time while dining just inside the dockside of the restaurant....covered, yet still outside and able to see the spectacular sunset across the lake.

NYE 2017 we spent at DHS - an impromptu decision we made only the day before! We cancelled our dinner plans for the Boathouse and bowling at Splitsville and hit DHS. I wasn’t able to secure a dining reservation at DHS, but we did get FP+ in the afternoon for RnR, ToT and Star Tours.....again, only 24 hours prior to going! We had extra FP+ from doing a DVC tour at SSR AND we got some extra pixie dust when a CM walking close to us in the park handed us a paper FP for our party of 6 for any ride that day!! We used both extra FP on TSMM that day. So, we arrived at DHS around 1:30p, rode 5 rides on FP, saw some shows and had QS dinner, but it was a fantastic day that I didn’t plan 3-6 mos in advance!!

I know we got lucky and I doubt that would be possible this year with the opening of Pixar Pier, I would assume DHS will be much busier.

And - truth be told - this year we stayed at the THV....but we were pixie dusted up to ToWL on the 30th and got to view fireworks from there! We went around 11:30p, anticipating watching fireworks from the walkway between BLT and the Contemporary. But I thought, why not just ask.....knowing the guest only situation, we approached the podium and politely asked about getting up to ToWL. The CM smiled and pointed out the sign stating that it was for guests staying at BLT only....then asked a nearby person if we were with them.... We got a wink, and approval to go up! When we got up to ToWL, there were maybe 120 people up there - no where near the 799 maximum capacity for the evening stated on the podium sign. We got a wall spot and saw NYE fireworks 15 min later. I believe the only reason it happened was because it was very cold out and they were no where near capacity 30 min prior....but it was a fantastic bit of magic for us! You never know what can happen unless you ask....

ME DH DS20 DD17

Last edited by disneymomof2; 04-17-2018 at 08:51 AM.
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #27
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

we have been twice for nye and each time i have said never again. stay away from the parks, have dinner at Cal grill or narcossess or epcot japan (can't think of name right now) if you must go into the parks.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #28
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

haha, you peeps are crazy.

No way I could ever stomach those crowds. My stress levels would be through the roof. It would not be fun for me (or anyone who is near me).

I think it is great that so many people have that level of patience.

However, a NYE in a BLT Magic View GV would make me ecstatic. Probably a bucket list item that will never get fulfilled unfortunately.

Do they do anything at DS? Wondering about a GV at CP at SSR.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #29
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Do they do anything at DS? Wondering about a GV at CP at SSR.
Disney use to have fireworks at Downtown Disney (back in the day) but stopped them around 2007-2009, I don't quite recall. When they built Saratoga Springs, they actually built a fireworks viewing terrace along the waterfront, in the Congress Park section.

There will be special dinners and parties at Disney Springs, just no fireworks.

There are NYE celebrations through-out the entire WDW resorts and parks......except Animal Kingdom.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Thanks for all the great info! I dont know if i can take the MK crowds on Dec 31. Ack!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking I may get an Epcot dinner reservation. I'd like to stay at BLT and watch if from the TOWL or from my balcony but I dont know if I can [1] stand to spend that many points for one night since I will need a 2 bedroom and [2] get lucky enough to find availability.

I was thinking of just showing up at the park at about 7 pm.....at least now I aknow to go earlier b/c of possible park closures.

This is turning out to be more work than I thought....lol

I may just stalk the RAT for a BLT opening!!!

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote