home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #41
capeokw56
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Draves View Post
Agreed! When I'm not at Disney, I crunch numbers for fun! Out of curiosity, please tell me about resale...I've not delved into that yet. How does it work?
It doesn't seem that anyone has responded to your question yet. I'd suggest that you read the Vacation Club Resources portion of the forums. There are a bunch of stickies that explain re-sale vs. direct purchasing. You can also go to our board sponsor's website as there is a lot of helpful information there too.
The bottom line is that re-sale saves you a LOT of money over direct purchase.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #42
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Following up on resale question as well - - yes, certainly read the sticky. There is a ton of good information there.

In short, resale is current owners selling their points privately through a broker, much like other real estate transactions. These are typically priced significantly less than buying direct from Disney. They also come with some restrictions, such as not being used for Disney cruises, not qualifying for all DVC discounts, etc. While it is a huge topic with a fair bit of nuance, if you are a numbers person, try checking out this site: https://www.disneydvcresale.com/ which shows current listings from different brokers. It will give a sense of potential savings.

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #43
ajc
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Following up on resale question as well - - yes, certainly read the sticky. There is a ton of good information there.

In short, resale is current owners selling their points privately through a broker, much like other real estate transactions. These are typically priced significantly less than buying direct from Disney. They also come with some restrictions, such as not being used for Disney cruises, not qualifying for all DVC discounts, etc. While it is a huge topic with a fair bit of nuance, if you are a numbers person, try checking out this site: https://www.disneydvcresale.com/ which shows current listings from different brokers. It will give a sense of potential savings.
Best plan is buy a small contract direct from Disney for the ownership perks (say 50 points) and do add-ons from resale market at ~25 to 35% savings.
If you have the same use year (starting use month) the contracts are under one membership number which makes it easy to utilize different contract points at the 7 month mark.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #44
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Best plan is buy a small contract direct from Disney for the ownership perks (say 50 points) and do add-ons from resale market at ~25 to 35% savings.
If you have the same use year (starting use month) the contracts are under one membership number which makes it easy to utilize different contract points at the 7 month mark.
I would reverse the order on this. My suggestion would be to purchase the resale contract first, then add on direct with Disney.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #45
taccol
One Bedroom

Welcome to Mouseowners!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #46
capeokw56
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
I would reverse the order on this. My suggestion would be to purchase the resale contract first, then add on direct with Disney.
I agree. Buy your larger contract first through resale then buy the small contract direct. If you already own a contract Disney will allow you to buy a direct contract as low as 25 points which gives you all of the benefits while keeping the cost down.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #47
Anne_Draves
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
It doesn't seem that anyone has responded to your question yet. I'd suggest that you read the Vacation Club Resources portion of the forums. There are a bunch of stickies that explain re-sale vs. direct purchasing. You can also go to our board sponsor's website as there is a lot of helpful information there too.
The bottom line is that re-sale saves you a LOT of money over direct purchase.
Thank you, capeokw56. I'll take a look!
Anne_Draves is offline   Reply With Quote