home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Jotunheim
Studio

Default Howdy!

Hi all!

I joined the forum a few days ago after getting an accepted offer on my first DVC contract this week. I think I am probably in the minority here, as I am a single guy, but I love visiting Disney! My long term GF does as well, but I don't think quite to the same extent, which is also a little unusual.

Anyway, I was more on the pragmatic side of where I chose my first resort. I love BCV and BWV, but I ruled them out with the 2042 expiration dates and the relatively high prices. I wanted a longer term contract but also one that was walkable (or on the Monorail) to one of the resorts. BLT was a strong consideration, but I am not a big fan of modernist design (though I know this is popular with A LOT of people and there is no question the location is fantastic). Poly was ruled out with the lack of 1 BR options.

Sooo - this did not leave me with a huge number of options that were ideal in for the criteria I was looking for. Originally, I was going to get a WDW home resort. BUT, I love both DL and WDW and both are a great destination coming from WI in winter, but after thinking about it some more, I really like how DL/DCA is kind of the "greatest hits" of Disney with several attractions considered to be better at DL. I also love the theming of Cars Land. For these reasons, and the fact that VGC is hard to get into and has a relatively long term, I chose to have VGC as my home resort!

The contract is at Disney right now and hope that it passes ROFR without any issues, though it seems that they don't seem to be picking up VGC at all. (?). At some point, I will probably pick up a direct WDW contract with Disney, so I can get all of the perks and also get a home resort at WDW at the 11 month window.

This forum has been great for a resource and thank you! I am super excited to be a DVC member and have been waiting since 2009!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Kakabel
Two Bedroom

and now I am envious of your VGC points. I do love that place. But I went for BLT instead, because I'm one of those oddballs who love the modernist design.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome to Mouseowners! Good luck with ROFR - I hope you hear quickly.

Your choice in home resort is not a bad one at all. As long as you are flexible (location and/or days) 7 month booking isn't bad. Oh and my husband of nearly 17 years (together more than half of our lives) isn't a huge Disney fan either, but it works
Old 08-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Disneynut4sure
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotunhiem View Post
Hi all!

I joined the forum a few days ago after getting an accepted offer on my first DVC contract this week. I think I am probably in the minority here, as I am a single guy, but I love visiting Disney! My long term GF does as well, but I don't think quite to the same extent, which is also a little unusual.

Anyway, I was more on the pragmatic side of where I chose my first resort. I love BCV and BWV, but I ruled them out with the 2042 expiration dates and the relatively high prices. I wanted a longer term contract but also one that was walkable (or on the Monorail) to one of the resorts. BLT was a strong consideration, but I am not a big fan of modernist design (though I know this is popular with A LOT of people and there is no question the location is fantastic). Poly was ruled out with the lack of 1 BR options.

Sooo - this did not leave me with a huge number of options that were ideal in for the criteria I was looking for. Originally, I was going to get a WDW home resort. BUT, I love both DL and WDW and both are a great destination coming from WI in winter, but after thinking about it some more, I really like how DL/DCA is kind of the "greatest hits" of Disney with several attractions considered to be better at DL. I also love the theming of Cars Land. For these reasons, and the fact that VGC is hard to get into and has a relatively long term, I chose to have VGC as my home resort

The contract is at Disney right now and hope that it passes ROFR without any issues, though it seems that they don't seem to be picking up VGC at all. (?). At some point, I will probably pick up a direct WDW contract with Disney, so I can get all of the perks and also get a home resort at WDW at the 11 month window.

This forum has been great for a resource and thank you! I am super excited to be a DVC member and have been waiting since 2009!

Good luck on ROFR ...

VGC is gorgeous and Welcome Home :

Disneynut4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakabel View Post

and now I am envious of your VGC points. I do love that place. But I went for BLT instead, because I'm one of those oddballs who love the modernist design.
Thanks! BLT is a fantastic option and is still a finalist for me when I do eventually get a WDW home resort. Just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone by doing a small direct contract though. Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
BugsDad
Grand Villa

Congratulations!

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Welcome to Mouseowners! Good luck with ROFR - I hope you hear quickly.

Your choice in home resort is not a bad one at all. As long as you are flexible (location and/or days) 7 month booking isn't bad. Oh and my husband of nearly 17 years (together more than half of our lives) isn't a huge Disney fan either, but it works
Thanks helenabear! As best I can tell, and of course there are no guarantees, Disney does not seem much interested in the VGC resales. My guess is the point spread is too low, but maybe you or someone else can offer to shed light on this.

My GF likes Disney, but she is a very frugal person and I think it bothers her a little to spend a lot of money on "entertainment". (The beach would be her first pick.) Of course, we always have a terrific time together once we are on property though.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Disney54us
Grand Villa

and congrats! Hoping it will be official soon.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome aboard, and best of luck with ROFR!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotunhiem View Post
Thanks helenabear! As best I can tell, and of course there are no guarantees, Disney does not seem much interested in the VGC resales. My guess is the point spread is too low, but maybe you or someone else can offer to shed light on this.

My GF likes Disney, but she is a very frugal person and I think it bothers her a little to spend a lot of money on "entertainment". (The beach would be her first pick.) Of course, we always have a terrific time together once we are on property though.
Admittedly I was lucky. I met my husband when he was 18 and I was 19. He sort of got stuck with the idea of going. I'm actually quite frugal in many ways and he was impressed with my shopping ability to get a hotel stay as nice as we could for the price.

Well at least compared to our honeymoon when I finally told him how much I paid each night for the room LOL

We've been together more than half of our lives and while he doesn't love it, he loves the idea of it. Just remind your girlfriend that Vero and Hilton Head are options too