home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #41
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilphil View Post
If this is truly due to security concerns are they going to start rummaging thru drawers and looking in suitcases? I have SERIOUS concerns if that is the case.

If I had some nefarious plot up my sleeve I sure as hell wouldn't leave anything incriminating laying around in my room.

Seems to me this is just another "feel good" measure that doesn't really add anything to real security.
No. They are doing a visual check, very quick from what a Disney person told me today.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #42
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
No. They are doing a visual check, very quick from what a Disney person told me today.
What good can that possibly do? A person with an arsenal can keep his guns in the trunk of the car and bring in a duffel and set up his weapons in a short while. Or just leave the duffel in a closet. If they don't search belongings, they would not find an arsenal in a bag in a closet. A person with evil intent can easily find a way to bypass this quick visual check.

As a security system, it makes more sense to me to go through all bags of people checking in. And/or search all cars going through the security gates. I am not saying that I am in favor of this, but it would at least make some sense.

What exactly is Disney afraid that we are doing in those rooms, anyway.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #43
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
What good can that possibly do? A person with an arsenal can keep his guns in the trunk of the car and bring in a duffel and set up his weapons in a short while. Or just leave the duffel in a closet. If they don't search belongings, they would not find an arsenal in a bag in a closet. A person with evil intent can easily find a way to bypass this quick visual check.

As a security system, it makes more sense to me to go through all bags of people checking in. And/or search all cars going through the security gates. I am not saying that I am in favor of this, but it would at least make some sense.

First part is true. The hotel in Vegas ignored so many things that even one look would have changed things.

I'm sure the idea you suggested would be even more of a pain to implement. Truthfully I would rather be in a bubble and be checked once instead of repeatedly though

I'm not totally thrilled with this, but I know it goes beyond just DVC. I raised my concerns with DVC about the changes to our actual DVC stays. I think if you are you by this contract DVC and Disney. I'm sure there are emails out there for higher level guys as well.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #44
Crafty
Grand Villa

I have emailed all three of the addresses that you posted. If you find more, please post them. I will do the same.

I think that part of the problem is that timeshares and hotels are different. In a hotel, I expect daily housekeeping. In a timeshare, I expect to spread out and not be bothered because it is supposed to be a home away from home. I have invested considerable money in my timeshares so that I can cook, do laundry, and have a home away from home. This new policy seems to be lumping hotel rooms into the same category as timeshares.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #45
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:

The wack job in Vegas had more than a gun in a duffel. He had a Arsenal that went unchecked because.... he was a high roller. He built platforms for a perfect shooting range. Why was that able to happen? Because he had a corner suite was a high roller a DND sign and he could. What he was able to bring up to the hotel is a completely different story and will be involved in lawsuits for years to come.
Obviously there is always a way to try to circumvent security measures. Does that mean we just donít bother? It is trash removal for Godís sake not a strip search! You want to leave your crap around and be messy, go ahead. They have seen worse. Everybody is sooo put off until something happens and they would/will be the same screaming that Disney should have done something. Should have known better. You canít have it both ways. Reality, life is not always convenient! Disney will at most make it as inatrusvive, but the rest deal with 2017 or stay home.

Quote:
I have emailed all three of the addresses that you posted. If you find more, please post them. I will do the same.

I think that part of the problem is that timeshares and hotels are different. In a hotel, I expect daily housekeeping. In a timeshare, I expect to spread out and not be bothered because it is supposed to be a home away from home. I have invested considerable money in my timeshares so that I can cook, do laundry, and have a home away from home. This new policy seems to be lumping hotel rooms into the same category as timeshares.
Not that different, though you may think so. You have ownership, you do not own it except for that .00002784 blah blah that you pay for. Therefore, they can come and go as need be. If itís such a issue. Sell and buy a private condo townhome. Even with a condo or hoa development there are people who can access your home if need be.
I know they market that DVC owners are special but not really. It is a across the board resort WDW decision.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #46
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
What good can that possibly do?

Like so much of "security", it gives the appearance of actually doing something.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #47
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Sorry. I agree. If I don't want to be Disturbed in my room. I'm paying for that right.

Frankly just use the latch bolt.
If they force entry call front desk and security....tell them someone is forcing entry into your room.😀

This is another way to make the public feel safe when in reality it will do nothing of the sort. Just like magazine clip limits. "gun control". It's there to make the public feel like the government is actually trying to make it safe. It's just all bull.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #48
Dana
Grand Villa

On vacation and staying at BLT when this was first implemented, but before we had read about it, so we were confused when we got a knock on the door and a request to do a visual inspection. We had had a maintenance problem upon first arriving (a bathroom door completely off itís track, rendering it completely useless since we had guests), so first thought was it was someone following up on the fixing of that door. We had a 2 bed lock-out and had the door hinge lock on the studio door while we were gone for the day. The cast member said he was here to do a visual inspection of just that part of the room, as using that lock made them think that we wanted privacy. Didnít make sense to me, as the connecting door was left completely open. I agree with others that I donít like the invasion of privacy, but it is what it is.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #49
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
On vacation and staying at BLT when this was first implemented, but before we had read about it, so we were confused when we got a knock on the door and a request to do a visual inspection. We had had a maintenance problem upon first arriving (a bathroom door completely off it’s track, rendering it completely useless since we had guests), so first thought was it was someone following up on the fixing of that door. We had a 2 bed lock-out and had the door hinge lock on the studio door while we were gone for the day. The cast member said he was here to do a visual inspection of just that part of the room, as using that lock made them think that we wanted privacy. Didn’t make sense to me, as the connecting door was left completely open. I agree with others that I don’t like the invasion of privacy, but it is what it is.
Using the door hinge lock caused them to think that you wanted privacy? What a novel idea! Privacy is apparently a thing of the past?

Does having a lockoff mean that they will do two inspections per day? Even if the connecting door is open?

Does using the hinge lock mean that they will step up inspections on your room? We, two women alone, always use the hinge lock when we are in the room and we spend a lot of time in the room.

I believe that this visual inspection will result in rifling through drawers and suitcases, sooner rather than later. The TSA inspections get more intrusive every year. Once you start something like this, it builds and remains ineffective, and so builds again.

Last edited by Crafty; 12-25-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #50
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Not a big deal, was in the room when they did it yesterday. The guys, looked like a worker and supercvisor, apologized profusely (I didnít have the occupied sign on the door). They came in, worker guy emptied the trash cans, and they left. Less than a minute. Iím sure signs and bolts are supposed to be respected unless itís the whole day.

Stupid, yes, but as mentioned it would be the first complaint once something horrific happened. Such is the shitty world we live in.

If one is disturbed enough to sell, feel free. It isnít going to change.

I donít care for the change either, but from all appearances theyíre trying to make it as unobtrusive as possible.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote