home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
rontkelly
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default DVC Board Members

Does anyone know if there are any non Disney employees on the DVC Board?
I often wondered about the one person who "votes" for us members at the annual meeting? Like how many owners were polled to agree to increases? Or, who agreed to upgrades/restorations in 18 years instead of 24 years?

Also, does the Board ever have a goal to lower maintenance fees?

Instead of "trying" to keep increases down?
rontkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Is the annual member meeting only for relaying information, or do those in attendance get to vote as well?

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
rontkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Is the annual member meeting only for relaying information, or do those in attendance get to vote as well?
To reply to your question , the annual meeting is somewhat of a "staged and scripted" show but, no DVC members get to vote its all done by the "Board" people.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

You know that scene in Empire Strikes back where Vaderís says, ďIím altering our deal, pray I donít alter it further.Ē Thatís a good visualization of our relationship with Disney. And in case you werenít sure, we are Lando, not Vader.

Simplified version of the legal situation. Thereís a condo association that represents our interests in negotiations with Disney. He condo association has decided to turn over management of the condos to Disney. Weíve also turned our votes over to Disney via proxy. While technically these are all handled by different arms of Disney acting independently, HA.

We have the right to undo these relationships with Disney with something like 60% votes of all members, but thatís never ever going to happen.

The condo association meetings where our proxies vote for us. While technically the one arm of Disney could veto the proposed budgets from another arm of Disney, but double HA.

They do serve free snacks if you want to show up and witness the show, but no booze (Boooo). Some years they even allow us to ask questions and you get to hear some amazing corporate doublespeak.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
You know that scene in Empire Strikes back where Vader’s says, “I’m altering our deal, pray I don’t alter it further.” That’s a good visualization of our relationship with Disney. And in case you weren’t sure, we are Lando, not Vader.

Simplified version of the legal situation. There’s a condo association that represents our interests in negotiations with Disney. He condo association has decided to turn over management of the condos to Disney. We’ve also turned our votes over to Disney via proxy. While technically these are all handled by different arms of Disney acting independently, HA.

We have the right to undo these relationships with Disney with something like 60% votes of all members, but that’s never ever going to happen.

The condo association meetings where our proxies vote for us. While technically the one arm of Disney could veto the proposed budgets from another arm of Disney, but double HA.

They do serve free snacks if you want to show up and witness the show, but no booze (Boooo). Some years they even allow us to ask questions and you get to hear some amazing corporate doublespeak.
Awesome and expected. Thanks for the low-down!
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
You know that scene in Empire Strikes back where Vaderís says, ďIím altering our deal, pray I donít alter it further.Ē Thatís a good visualization of our relationship with Disney. And in case you werenít sure, we are Lando, not Vader.

Simplified version of the legal situation. Thereís a condo association that represents our interests in negotiations with Disney. He condo association has decided to turn over management of the condos to Disney. Weíve also turned our votes over to Disney via proxy. While technically these are all handled by different arms of Disney acting independently, HA.

We have the right to undo these relationships with Disney with something like 60% votes of all members, but thatís never ever going to happen.

You forgot to add that this is all done based upon feedack of the guests and for the enhancement of our visits.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:

Perfect explaination!👍
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
FessParker1
One Bedroom

OMG free snacks!!! No wonder why MF's keep going up.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
rontkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
You forgot to add that this is all done based upon feedack of the guests and for the enhancement of our visits.
Are you saying you were able to give feedback to a Board member that actually made something happen?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Actually I'm bummed we're missing the 'dog & pony' this year. For some reason it's been moved to the 2nd week in December - wondering if it's too well attended

Anyhoo - I like to drag the better half because he understands and retains more of what is said. Personally the only time I've seen a governance hold down costs was when then was a significant sell-off of owned property (never see any reduction). Costs rise but what surprises me is the rises in the properties that don't seem to have as much to maintan (like Bay Lake).