home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Today, 05:09 PM   #361
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

With the news on guidance I was trying to cancel my thanksgiving weekend reservation (4th cancelled trip) to move further out but I kept getting the Dwarves online so I decided to call in. I also cancelled one night in April to put my remaining eggs in a 2 bedroom on July 4th. I now have 4 nights in June and the one night in July, with an August use year its as far as I can go with these banked points that expire at the end of July.

While I was on the phone I asked about the 6 points that had expired due to the July 2020 reservation I had to cancel in March so that I could bank the points. Those 6 points were banked so they expired. After being put on hold for some quite a bit of time he said they would be moved into my current use year and that they would follow up with an email once they were in my account. I could then call to have them put into another reservation. Maybe it wasn't a big deal because it was only 6 points but it does give me a glimmer of hope for extensions and if anyone else lost points I'd highly recommend calling and giving it a try.

I am hoping for a summer 2021 opening at best.

Check out my Disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/believeinthemagic/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:19 PM   #362
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

To comment on others posts, someone mentioned the opportunity to purchase hotels on Harbor. I think that's a very strong possibility as some of those will unfortunately not make it

I'm local and would use my points if just the hotel was open. DTD has restaurants and there are many grocery stores close by for the bigger villas. They could open the pool even if the restaurants remained closed.

I agree with others who think most non locals wouldn't come without parks. It's hard to justify expensive flights and such just for the room and too expensive to open up the entire hotel just for members.

I'd love for them to open up Main Street USA and rope it off right before the Walt statue. You could open up Carnation Cafe ( a lot of outdoor seating), move the Corn dog cart closer within the area and a lot of shopping with specialty shops and of course Star Bucks with the Disney themed cups.

DCA could open up the booths used for Food and Wine and Festival of holidays similar to what Knotts is doing.

This may not attract "out of towners" but it absulutely attract locals and could be a way to make some money, open up some jobs for CMs, provide people with some of the magic they're missing, and could even be just for AP's so it could reduce some of the refunds and extensions.

Check out my Disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/believeinthemagic/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:22 PM   #363
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post

This is what I said a few weeks ago when the sizeable layoffs were announced. I think you said that I was in Fantasyland... I was just ahead of the thought curve, apparently.

Looking at it from the WDCo point of view - it is certainly feasible that they'd consider at least exploring cutting losses and conceivably taking some beneficial write-off with either shuttering DL for a while or giving it up for another location and either expanding WDW or going to a new greenfield location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yep. I totally thought the idea of DL closing our leaving or TWDC leaving (maybe leaving DL there for an eventual reopening) was hogwash. I can see the scenario now. I'm a little surprised at just how sharp DL and TWDC officials are on the guidelines right now. They seem ready for war.

I don't think it will happen, but I think I have to realize that with the Pandemic, there is absolutely *nothing* that can be considered beyond the pale.

Dirk

Yeah, I can see them moving much of their operations and offices out of CA now. It makes a lot of sense. Honestly, it made sense to do before with how expensive it is to have such a presence in that State. When they are feasibly able to reopen DL, I'm sure they will though.

I do not know California law on it, but I know there are ways in NY to attain some nice tax advantages on a closed property in addition to potentially taking write-offs. I'm sure their accountants will guide them on that one.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote