home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

If you want to take planned shots of the parks, then a dSLR or Mirrorless is better. If you want snapshots, then an iPhone is great, and MemoryMarker has fun stuff so it's generally worth it, IMO - though it comes with the Gold AP, so that's how we utilize it.

At Disneyland in 2016, I just didn't feel like lugging my Full Frame dSLR so I used my iPhone and got great shots. I since switched to Mirrorless and am very happy with how light the camera is, so I'm back to a camera instead of a phone, but I'm happy with a phone in a pinch.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
jpc1073
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

As a novice photographer, I shoot a crop sensor DSLR, which I believe produces better pictures than most phone cameras. However, I think I will leave my Nikon at home and enjoy the parks unencumbered. I am confident between the iPhones and Photopass, I will get plenty of great shots and not miss much.

Wow! After having made that decision, I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Literally and figuratively.

Thanks for the responses.
jpc1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1073 View Post
As a novice photographer, I shoot a crop sensor DSLR, which I believe produces better pictures than most phone cameras. However, I think I will leave my Nikon at home and enjoy the parks unencumbered. I am confident between the iPhones and Photopass, I will get plenty of great shots and not miss much.

Wow! After having made that decision, I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Literally and figuratively.

Thanks for the responses.
Because of the sensor size and lens options, a dSLR or mirrorless, crop or otherwise, will almost always take a better photo than a phone. However, for snapshots, it generally doesn't matter, and a phone works very well.

I make my choice based on what I want to do with my pictures. For night photography, a dSLR is much more of a must.

But those days when I don't take the camera, wow - freedom!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I use to take my Nikon with me on every trip to WDW. A few years back, I stopped and have not looked back. I primarily use my phone for all my picture taking. We have our Christmas trip in a week and thought about taking my camera.......that thought only lasted a moment.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

We have also stopped taking cameras. We used to carry two (one point and shoot for the incidental stuff and an SLR for posed shots). Since they added MM to the Gold AP, that and a cell phone is all we ever use - and we love it!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
Trooper
Two Bedroom

Sometimes, I bring my camera (mirrorless) and sometimes I don't (and rely on iPhone). I'm not much of a Photopass person.

When I bring my camera, usually it's because I'm in a small group and we're not trying to hit every ride. I really enjoy taking impactful/aesthetically pleasing photos of the park. An iPhone (and Photopass) is certainly more than sufficient for snapshots.

I guess it depends on one's goal.

Last edited by Trooper; 12-18-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post

No more spending precious vacation time taking hundreds of photos and hours of video.
Yup. No Photopass, no pictures...unless something unique happens that is an interesting photo and-and-of-itself and not specific to a "seen it a million times' Disney thing. And there are some every now and again if one is observant.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #18
jfinke
Studio

I selectively carry my Sony a6000 or Canon DSLR deepening on what kind of mood I am in and what parks we are going to.

I don't take pictures of us. That is what photo pass is for. I take fun and interesting pictures. I used to carry the whole kit all the time. But now I limit the amount of equipment I am will to schlep around.

Living Colour by Jeremy Finke, on Flickr

Walt Disney World by Jeremy Finke, on Flickr

Walt Disney World by Jeremy Finke, on Flickr

MNSSHP by Jeremy Finke, on Flickr
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
susieh
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I like having a viewfinder so I use my Canon G15 which is like a small DSLR.

DH uses his phone for selfies and we have gold APs so we get photopass included and use that too.

I'm happy with that mix
susieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

So my 2 cents.
Photo pass rocks. We have it with our gold pass.
Cell phones rock. Always at hand and nice pics.
But, if traveling with family, there is always the one person in a family that is not in the pics. Usually that is Me.
I will sacrifice that for the images that I have captured over the years that others Iím sure will appreciate later.

Photos are a memory in time. I have learned to see beyond the lens as to not miss the moment. A win for me and it is captured in time.

A carry a small Panasonic ZS100 with a great zoom and video.
Fits in my purse or pocket of travel vest.
It is a win win in my opinion to carry a small camera.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote