home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #21
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I use Autoslash to track rates and can set it up to track any of the Big Six (I think there are six). I've had fine experiences, in general, with all of them. And save a bunch usually with Autoslash while having a fine experience.

Cheers.
Let's see...
Hertz, Avis, Alamo, what's that green one? Enterprise?, I give up (searches), Budget, National, Thrifty... OK, which one gets the boot?
Old 01-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #22
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Let's see...
Hertz, Avis, Alamo, what's that green one? Enterprise?, I give up (searches), Budget, National, Thrifty... OK, which one gets the boot?
Thanks for the research. Can always count on a fellow academic for data

Enterprise is also in Autoslash's top tier, but I always removed them (hence six) as I'd never used them. nrs. brp has used them ans said they're fine, so now I just leave the whole top tier and knock out the lower tier.

So, it's six for large values of six.

Cheers.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:37 PM   #23
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Thanks for the research. Can always count on a fellow academic for data

Enterprise is also in Autoslash's top tier, but I always removed them (hence six) as I'd never used them. nrs. brp has used them ans said they're fine, so now I just leave the whole top tier and knock out the lower tier.

So, it's six for large values of six.

Cheers.
Worth pointing out that half these guys are owned by the same parent companies. I find the experience virtually identical with all of them in the same ownership family.

Enterprise Holdings
National Car Rental is an American rental car agency based in Clayton, Missouri, United States. National is owned by Enterprise Holdings, along with other agencies including Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and Alamo Rent a Car.

Avis Budget Group, Inc. is the American parent company of Avis Car Rental, Budget Car Rental, Budget Truck Rental, and Zipcar, consisting of its global brands. Its local brands include: Payless Car Rental, Apex Car Rentals, Maggiore Group, and France Cars.

Hertz owns Dollar and Thrifty.

From Google:
"Together, these three companies account for 95 percent of the domestic car rental industry, according to Neil Abrams, president of the Abrams Consulting Group, a leading car rental consulting firm."

Never tried Fox or any second tier ones. I avoid companies with bad press, and the reviews of these companies is always shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
I've had two miserable experiences with Fox... NEVER again.
Tire with a slow air leak, good grief. I don't think you would get something like that from the big 3 - at least, and then have them do nothing about it.
----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 01-13-2021 at 10:49 PM.
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #24
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Worth pointing out that half these guys are owned by the same parent companies. I find the experience virtually identical with all of them in the same ownership family.
Oh, I know. But I've actually found them to be a little different. Even within a family there seems to be service tiers. But yeah. In the end, they're probably all owned by FAANG anyway.

One thing everyone who may use multiple companies (like us) should do is join them all. it's free and allows one to bypass the counter in most cases. Worth the price of membership

Cheers.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #25
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

We had a rental agreement with Fox at either MCO or LAX a few years back, and the service at the counter was so terrible that we walked away and rented from Hertz.
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #26
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Oh, I know. But I've actually found them to be a little different. Even within a family there seems to be service tiers. But yeah. In the end, they're probably all owned by FAANG anyway.

One thing everyone who may use multiple companies (like us) should do is join them all. it's free and allows one to bypass the counter in most cases. Worth the price of membership

Cheers.
Interesting. You have more travel time than I, so I am sure you would know better. In my minute and anecdotal experience I haven't really noticed big differences. Especially at the airports. I used to go through JFK, MCO and IAD 4-5 times a year. Used all the different vendors over several years, they all provided a car and they always worked. Service was always polite and prompt. I am price driven. We have a good discount program with the company, thus I always use that. Budget has been winning out fairly regularly at MCO for the last 2-3 years by large margins. $100-200 less in most cases for a week. We DME in for a week, then spend a few days in Orlando with family after our Disney fix.

Agree, I join them all as well, mostly to help keep track of last visits. I haven't been able to take advantage of points because I am incredibly disloyal and follow the low fare vs. possible promise of some future freebie. I will take my discount now thank you.
----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 01-14-2021 at 10:19 PM.
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote