home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #21
jmark
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Beach, bar (sometimes combined), scuba/snorkeling.......that about sums it up for me.
We love Turks but that sums it up. The snorkeling is great and its nice walking around without having someone come up to you asking "smokie, smokie". We vaguely talked about getting a retirement home there (but that is a conversation for a different thread). Heard great things about Aruba and is on our list to visit.

Like others we are on hold till there is some semblance of normal and I doubt we'll do tons in 2021 other than OBX and a trip to Disney (got to use those points). We were going to do an Italy/ Greece cruise this summer but obviously that didn't pan out. I imagine we may look into that again at some point. A return to Hawaii is also on our minds.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #22
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Yes....

Turks and Caicos, like all of Bahama, Cayman, etc are virtually flat and don't offer much more then the above.

Islands like Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cuba, USVI, etc are mountainous and offer a varied terrain and activities to go with them.

Some islands like Cuba and Puerto Rico have a deep history going back hundreds of years and have charming Port Cities to match.

A lot of islands have a very distinct vibe and culture. Of course, a lot of islands just cater to tourists that want a beach, bar and snorkel.
I really want to visit Cuba - we were so close to doing a cruise before the crackdown on tourism happened. Maybe in the next four years.

Yeah - many of the islands have interesting geography for hiking, rafting, etc., or some good towns/villages to hang out in, too. I really like St. Martin and want to go back sometime and the VI are beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Aruba has a very interesting National Park on the "back side." Oh, and some nice beaches, bars, diving and kayaking

Cheers.
Aruba's another place on "the list."

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #23
Nickys
Grand Villa

Thought I’d have a look and see what people are planning.

Egypt was where we went for our honeymoon. Not exactly a typical honeymoon lol!

For a start the river boat didn’t have any double beds, we had to push the two singles together each evening. Then it was up at 4am every day so we could set off on the excursions before sunrise, so as to be back on the boat by mid-day (except at Aswan) and avoid the sun.

When we finished the river cruise a week later, it was off to Cairo for a few days. Luckily we were warned that we would have problems because my passport was still in my maiden name, so we had to carry our actual marriage certificate to show at reception before being allowed to share a room.

We ended with a few days back in Luxor where I managed to pick up a cold. the hotel concierge drove DH to a pharmacy where he was given some tablets for me to take. Since I really wasn’t well (streaming eyes, blocked sinuses) I decided to take a couple. And they did work. However when packing to go home we left them in the room. With the info all in Arabic, there was no way we were taking them!

We timed it to perfection, July 1991. Virtually no boats on the Nile so very few tour groups. They had been badly hit tourism wise so everyone was delighted to have tourists, from Europe at least, back. Sadly a year later there were attacks on tourists in Cairo and in the Valley of the Kings.

As for our plans, we pretty much agreed just tonight that I’ll book what I can with our points for the end of 2021 over New Year without borrowing for now. And see how things go. DH and I should be vaccinated by April, but not sure when the “boys” will get it. We won’t book flights until we know we will all have it in time.

If it doesn’t happen, I think we might try again for Easter 2022 rather than wait for another Christmas.

We should have arrived at MCO about now, literally. Four years to the day we were last at WDW.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #24
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
We should have arrived at MCO about now, literally. Four years to the day we were last at WDW.

Yikes!!! That is just way too long to be away from WDW!
I really am looking forward to a better 2021. Its going to be another long year, but there is an end in sight or at least a better tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #25
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Thought I’d have a look and see what people are planning.

Egypt was where we went for our honeymoon. Not exactly a typical honeymoon lol!

For a start the river boat didn’t have any double beds, we had to push the two singles together each evening. Then it was up at 4am every day so we could set off on the excursions before sunrise, so as to be back on the boat by mid-day (except at Aswan) and avoid the sun.

When we finished the river cruise a week later, it was off to Cairo for a few days. Luckily we were warned that we would have problems because my passport was still in my maiden name, so we had to carry our actual marriage certificate to show at reception before being allowed to share a room.

We ended with a few days back in Luxor where I managed to pick up a cold. the hotel concierge drove DH to a pharmacy where he was given some tablets for me to take. Since I really wasn’t well (streaming eyes, blocked sinuses) I decided to take a couple. And they did work. However when packing to go home we left them in the room. With the info all in Arabic, there was no way we were taking them!

We timed it to perfection, July 1991. Virtually no boats on the Nile so very few tour groups. They had been badly hit tourism wise so everyone was delighted to have tourists, from Europe at least, back. Sadly a year later there were attacks on tourists in Cairo and in the Valley of the Kings.

As for our plans, we pretty much agreed just tonight that I’ll book what I can with our points for the end of 2021 over New Year without borrowing for now. And see how things go. DH and I should be vaccinated by April, but not sure when the “boys” will get it. We won’t book flights until we know we will all have it in time.

If it doesn’t happen, I think we might try again for Easter 2022 rather than wait for another Christmas.

Wow! What a honeymoon and Egypt experience. I can't believe it's been four years for you. I hope you do get back next year as soon as possible.

I would say "it can only get better," but it's 2021 and I don't want to tempt fate (as we await a massive series of storms to hit tonight during Christmas service with near-huricane force winds).

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #26
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

Our April 2020 trip to the UK had been rescheduled to March 2021, and now that DD's spring break 2021 has been cancelled, we are on hold until we get around to rebooking. Everything was refunded, so we're not out any $.

Our May 2020 trip to Greece was rescheduled to April 2021, and now looks like it will be delayed to September 2021. DS and DD will not be able to join with the new timeline.

We are now hoping to have the four of us back at WDW in May 2021; that will influence any other non-Disney travel plans for summer 2021.

We are still planning to be in Cabo in December 2021.

I don't think I can take another year like 2020!
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote