home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Default Thanksgiving (2021) - Talk me into or out of it!

Our schedule and planning is such that we have an opportunity to spend Thanksgiving at WDW in 2021 - something we've never before considered. It would mean travelling on the peak days (Tuesday and Sunday), which we've never done by air (we've traveled by car plenty of times at Thanksgiving). We will have already spent 8 days at Fort Wilderness in July, so ride highlights would be ok (we don't need to 'do it all'), but I'm just not sure how crazy it is at that time.

For those who have traveled in general around Thanksgiving, and those who have done Thanksgiving at WDW, what say you?
Old 09-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
Maximus
One Bedroom

FYI You cannot get a park pass to Hollywood Studios that week. They are all gone. Unless you luck out and more get released?

Oops you mean next year
IMO up until Wednesday it is great. We have gone many times that week and leave on Thanksgiving day. I have read Christmas and Easter weeks are worse. We see crowds building on Tuesday and Wednesday and plan to be in Animal Kingdom on Thanksgiving day.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

My family has gone during Thanksgiving week several times.
We love it. The Christmas decorations are beautiful.
Crowds are okay. No real difference from summer crowds.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Thanksgiving is busy, but its not Christmas- NYE busy. I say go for it and have a great time. By next Thanksgiving, we will be back to normal as far as traveling restrictions. Overall, WDW crowds and travel will still be down by then from previous years. The only real negative I see is flying on that Sunday after Thanksgiving......and not because of covid, just because that is traditionally and busy travel day.

Bottom line.....Do it!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
John2247
Grand Villa

Thanksgiving week is normally very busy or at least when we have been there at that time. But the weather is great and the Christmas decorations are beautiful.
I would think that because of the pandemic and economic recovery being slow, that it would not be as crowded as in years past. So go for it!
Old 09-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Absolutely you should go! Things have to be more normal by then... one would think.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #7
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Well, of course go. If you haven't done it before, then you need to do it!

I find it much busier than summer, as summers the last couple years (ignoring this year) have been pretty tame. It's a beautiful time to get both holidays - thanksgiving and Christmas - in one visit. It's really a great time. Weather is usually fantastic as well.

Shoo, go. It's a great time.
March 2021 - Old Key West
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

We have made many Thanksgiving Disney/Universal trips. lately:
2018-Universal, 2019, Disney, and 2020 will also be Disney. woohoo.
The weather was GREAT last Thanksgiving. Sometimes warm in the middle of a sunny day, but mostly comfortable, chilly after dark,
This year is SO different than other years, so i don't know what to expect.
In recent years, we've found it to be quite busy. Used to be, we'd get a few days like from Sat-Tues where it wasnt' too bad, but last trips, we found those days busy too. Wed, Thurs, Friday were very busy, but manageable.
We usually were rope dropping, and very early. Common to get to parks at least 1 hr or longer before opening. Now that rope drop is late, I don't know how much it will help to be early risers, because now, all the late sleepers are there too. I'd still plan on getting there as early as possible, and hitting the rides you want to do the most.

Fantasyland/MK was PACKED, when we went but it was later in the afternoon/evening. i mean like shuffling along, kinda holding onto kids so we wouldn't get separated, but mostly just in Fantasyland. we don't do much there now w kids older, so we were just passing through.

We enjoy going at Thanksgiving. Kids are out of school for the week, weather is good, etc. BUT it was crowded. Just prepare for that.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Since you are asking about 2021, I say just book it when the window opens. You don't have to decide right now. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of members trying to book that week as soon as the 11 month window opens. Don't miss the opportunity to decide, LOL.

We're planning to go back in October 2021 and probably December 2021, too. Really hoping the vaccines are available and effective by then. I will be booking as soon as the 11 month window opens, knowing that I will have a lot of time to cancel if things don't work out.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
lcras
Studio

Default Following

Planning on a Thanksgiving 2021 trip also, as our daughter in law is a teacher so it is the only time in the fall she can go. I have been wondering to myself if next year will require walking a reservation or can I trust that the rooms will be there when we go to book

Home Resorts: AKV, BLT, BWV, VGF
lcras is offline   Reply With Quote