home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
arma605
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Thumbs up Our first with Genie+ experience

We just used GENIE+ for the first time and thought I would share our family experience.

With most travel restrictions finally lifted we had our first family WDW vacation since 2019. Granny, Papa, kids and grandkids. We had decided on a day at Magic Kingdom and a day at Hollywood Studios. With 8 adults and 3 young children we wanted to make the best of each park day.

The immediate notable difference since 2019 was the cost increases on everything: tickets, dining, merchandise, travel costs and the once free now pay per use add one. It also didnít help that the current UK/US exchange rate sucks! :-(

So the debate was about spending another $15/person on Genie+

The sage advice that tip the decision for us was about the % relative extra cost to save potentially a few hours of queuing with small kids, which equals more fun and less stress for us adults..

So we went for Genie+ and realty glad we did.
It worked great!
Better in Magic Kingdom than Hollywood Studios but worth it in both.

Magic Kingdom we had 7 lightning lanes. Okay a few were fillers to save 10-15 min queue time but we got for rides we new have long queues: Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Winnie and Peter Pan. The two fillers were Philharmagic and MI Laugh Floor.

Hollywood Studios we used 5; smugglers run, toy story mania, alien saucers and M&M RR and a filler one for Frozen, which we didnít really need.

For the type of day we had planned, which included a break early afternoon back at the resort, no regrets.

Definitely worth it for MK..

It also convinced us that you would not need it as much in AK and potentially not EPCOT. Park crowds, the rides you want to do and your plan for the day would tip the decision.

Just sharing as it was a good experience for us.

All the best
arma605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for sharing, glad you were finally able to escape and enjoy your trip!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #3
bubster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by arma605 View Post
We just used GENIE+ for the first time and thought I would share our family experience.

it was a good experience for us.

All the best
Nice to hear a positive report about Genie+. Glad you all had a good time.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:

Wow, I'm impressed! We bought it for one day at HS during spring break, and we got exactly 2 rides. I remember one was Aliens, but I'm not sure what the other was...maybe Star Tours? Neither was a huge win. We were very disapointed. Enough that we didn't buy it for the rest of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
Nice to hear a positive report about Genie+. Glad you all had a good time.
No doubt! Very curious to hear reports after the changes coming ...
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #5
ross0354
Studio

We also really liked using Genie+ LL on our trip the first weekend of May!

MK:
Jungle cruise
Haunted Mansion
Seven Dwarf ILL
Space mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Peter Pan
Splash Mountain

HS:
Slinky dog
Toy Story Mania
Rise of the Resistance ILL
Smugglerís Run
Rocking Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror
Mikey and Minnieís runaway railroad

AK:
Safari
Flight of Passage ILL
Naívi River
Kali River Rapids

All of these were basically walk on with LL. Then filled the gaps with anything with a short line in between. Didnít wait longer than 15 min for anything (including catching Rise one last time at the very end of the day with a 12 min wait!)
ross0354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:10 AM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:

With most travel restrictions finally lifted we had our first family WDW vacation since 2019. Granny, Papa, kids and grandkids. We had decided on a day at Magic Kingdom and a day at Hollywood Studios. With 8 adults and 3 young children we wanted to make the best of each park day.

The immediate notable difference since 2019 was the cost increases on everything: tickets, dining, merchandise, travel costs and the once free now pay per use add one. It also didnít help that the current UK/US exchange rate sucks! :-(

So the debate was about spending another $15/person on Genie+

The sage advice that tip the decision for us was about the % relative extra cost to save potentially a few hours of queuing with small kids, which equals more fun and less stress for us adults..

So we went for Genie+ and realty glad we did.
It worked great!
Better in Magic Kingdom than Hollywood Studios but worth it in both.

Magic Kingdom we had 7 lightning lanes. Okay a few were fillers to save 10-15 min queue time but we got for rides we new have long queues: Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Winnie and Peter Pan. The two fillers were Philharmagic and MI Laugh Floor.

Hollywood Studios we used 5; smugglers run, toy story mania, alien saucers and M&M RR and a filler one for Frozen, which we didnít really need.

For the type of day we had planned, which included a break early afternoon back at the resort, no regrets.

Definitely worth it for MK..

It also convinced us that you would not need it as much in AK and potentially not EPCOT. Park crowds, the rides you want to do and your plan for the day would tip the decision.

All the best
I'm assuming this was two different park days, but can you confirm that? I have also done pretty well with G+ and have no major problems with it. Glad to hear some other positive experiences
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
arma605
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Yes
These were separate days.
We felt park hoping and Genie+ was another level of complications.
So we just did one park each day.
arma605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Yes
These were separate days.
We felt park hoping and Genie+ was another level of complications.
So we just did one park each day.
Believe it or not I find it even more useful when hopping. It can be hard to think through all the timing though when stacking for a later park.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote