home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
Minnie-n-Me
Studio

Default CHANGES TO GENIE+...if it was up to me ;)

I have used Genie+ on 3 trips to WDW since it was introduced last October. We don't like it because it takes too much planning on the morning we will be using it. And if things don’t work out, because of the park reservation system, you are SOL. Beginning June 8, WDW is requiring EVERYONE who wants to use Genie+ to purchase it at midnight or later and then at 7:00AM, make your Genie+ and ILL selections. This will create Midnight Madness, followed by a short night’s sleep to rush to make morning Genie+ and ILL selections. This is INSANE!

So, below is how WDW can keep the Genie system that took quite a while to develop, and make MOST guests a lot happier and still allow WDW to monetize the system…
* Rename Genie+ to GeniePass
* Allow guests to purchase up to 3 GeniePasses per person per day for $5 per attraction in one park.
* After a guest uses the last pre-purchased pass or its window expires, additional passes may be purchased one at a time for $5 per attraction at any park that day, provided the guest has park hopping privileges. After that pass is used or the window expires, another pass may be purchased, etc.
* If the attraction is down, the guest may select an alternate attraction that is not fully booked.
* Guests staying in deluxe resorts, DVC members, and AP holders can purchase and select attractions beginning at 60 days in advance of their trip
* All other guests can purchase and select attractions beginning at 30 days in advance of their trip
* Remove the park hopping before 2:00PM restriction
* Remove the park reservation requirement. The advanced purchases of the GeniePasses are essentially a reservation and will give an indication to WDW of the attendance in each park per day so that CM’s can be adjusted if needed.
* Individual Lightning Lane can stay as it is for new attractions for a specified period of time while demand is extreme.

Yes, this does mean that 30-60 days before your trip, you will be spending a little bit of time one day planning your trip. But it will remove the DAILY headache while you are on your vacation.

Our crew DH DW DS24 DD20
44 DVC vacations and counting!

Last edited by Minnie-n-Me; 05-23-2022 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added provision if attraction is down
Minnie-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

I really have nothing constructive to add besides that I have a different name than you have for Genie+.

Completely agree to remove park reservations and 2 pm hopping.

I’m in a different phase with the parks so Genie+ annoys me, but I just don’t ride rides as often unless we rope drop. I can get on Soarin’ usually so I’m happy most days.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
I really have nothing constructive to add besides that I have a different name than you have for Genie+.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Minnie-n-Me
Studio

Quote:
Yes, that is my PG rated name for it too!

Our crew DH DW DS24 DD20
Old 05-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Old 05-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Basically amounts to allowing FP reservations at 30-60 days out like they used to, and just adding a fee. I agree and have seen this basic idea suggested here many times. Really, it just makes sense. I'm even OK paying the small fee. But not for a same-day sort of thing.

Given that, I would not care (and do not now) about park reservations. We know where we're going, so making a reservation is not a burden at all.

2PM hopping, though, is a burden. I'd gladly keep reservations to lose this.

Cheers.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
Minnie-n-Me
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Basically amounts to allowing FP reservations at 30-60 days out like they used to, and just adding a fee. I agree and have seen this basic idea suggested here many times. Really, it just makes sense. I'm even OK paying the small fee.
Exactly! Hence the combined name GeniePass. I am not looking forward to the additional headache at our next trip in June of having some of us with APs and others with ParkHoppers and Pre-purchased Genie+. Another thread has some suggestions that we will check with the front desk when we arrive to try to reduce the stress of our AP guests purchasing Genie+ prior to 7:00AM when we have mixed ticket media.

Our crew DH DW DS24 DD20
Old 05-23-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie-n-Me View Post
Exactly! Hence the combined name GeniePass. I am not looking forward to the additional headache at our next trip in June of having some of us with APs and others with ParkHoppers and Pre-purchased Genie+. Another thread has some suggestions that we will check with the front desk when we arrive to try to reduce the [I]stress[/I] of our AP guests purchasing Genie+ prior to 7:00AM when we have mixed ticket media.
These are the key words associated with Genie+. The fact that it happens everyday of your trip is unacceptable.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
These are the key words associated with Genie+. The fact that it happens everyday of your trip is unacceptable.
The easy solution is not to use it until they make it more user-friendly. Worked for us last trip. No headache, no stress. Will continue to work for us until they fix it.

Cheers.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:12 PM   #10
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I think if I knew I was guaranteed three rides of my choice, I would be more likely to buy. I hate the idea of paying for something that used to be free, but I definitely like the idea of having a "park plan" so-to-speak. We'll be at Disney next week and have no plans to buy Genie+ or ILL.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote