home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Default First time to Disneyland Planning Advice

I am in the process of planning a southern California trip and would like to incorporate a stay at the Grand Californian and visit to both Disneyland and California Adventure. I will not have a lot of time and am wondering if 2 days will be enough to be satisfied and to get a good taste of both parks.

We would be arriving late morning on the first day and I'm thinking that first day we would go to CA (not planning to park hop). Then the entire second day would be focused on Disneyland (as that park seems to have more rides and is bigger, am I right?). I'd love any recommendations for plan of attack to maximize our days. We like doing the rides, but we also like taking time to enjoy sit down meals. Restaurant suggestions greatly appreciated as well.

Has anyone had experience with G+ and ILL at the California parks? Thoughts and tips on how to best use those at those parks. We will definitely take advantage of both since we won't travel to the CA parks often.

Really any tips or advice welcome!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Some recent threads that should help...

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ght=disneyland

As far as dining, definitely Napa Rose.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #3
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Some recent threads that should help...

As far as dining, definitely Napa Rose.
Thank you, Brian! I did a search for "Disneyland" on MO before posting but didn't see either of these threads. I wonder if I typed something incorrectly. I will read over these. Thanks! I was starting to think no one cared for DL too much.

I have heard the name Napa Rose before but did not remember it was a DL or CA restaurant. I'm going to look at that menu as well. Looks like DL has the same 60 day ADR timing.

Last edited by JCinWonderland; 02-24-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelled Brian with a Y. Like DH!
Old 02-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
Thank you, Bryan! I did a search for "Disneyland" on MO before posting but didn't see either of these threads. I wonder if I typed something incorrectly. I will read over these. Thanks! I was starting to think no one cared for DL too much.

I have heard the name Napa Rose before but did not remember it was a DL or CA restaurant. I'm going to look at that menu as well. Looks like DL has the same 60 day ADR timing.

No problem, just remembered reading them recently and managed to find the links.

Napa Rose is in the Grand Californian. Definitely a fancier meal but well worth a visit.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
No problem, just remembered reading them recently and managed to find the links.

Napa Rose is in the Grand Californian. Definitely a fancier meal but well worth a visit.
Well the first thread I am reading through has already answered a lot of my questions and makes me realize I need to try to find more time to spend in the parks and also probably get the park hoppers.

Flying out of SNA instead of LAX is a great suggestion in the other thread too! We'll be flying into SAN and then traveling up the coast, but were planning to fly out of LAX. Still might stay in Manhattan/Hermosa area after DL, but if not, SNA is the way to go!
Old 02-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
Well the first thread I am reading through has already answered a lot of my questions and makes me realize I need to try to find more time to spend in the parks and also probably get the park hoppers.

Flying out of SNA instead of LAX is a great suggestion in the other thread too! We'll be flying into SAN and then traveling up the coast, but were planning to fly out of LAX. Still might stay in Manhattan/Hermosa area after DL, but if not, SNA is the way to go!

Indeed! SNA is great if you can make it work with your schedule.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #7
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

We visited in July 2011 and stayed at the Grand Californian. We had an amazing trip. The park entrance is amazing.

Make sure there is no one in your group that can get you into Club 33. Itís painful to know that DH had access and we didnít go. I shouldnít forgive my friend who didnít tell me either, but I donít think she knew we were going.

I donít have much to offer, but hope you have a great trip. Highlights for us were the resort, World of Color, DL fireworks and Fantasmic!
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #8
Joel0917
Grand Villa

I just returned from two days. Two days was enough to do it all or lost all but it was ropedrop 715am to 9pm each day. Pretty exhausting actually.

Iíd say buy genie plus and all the LL so plan that way.

Also be online to get your dining as soon as it opens and book a couple and cancel as you get close. Blue bayou at lunch is a must.

I was terribly disappointed in how lame trader Samís was compared to Polynesian. I was so disappointed we went and waisted our money to basically go to a tiki bar. So id say skip that.

VGC is the way to go if you can get it otherwise Iíd still pay to stay there. Nothing like it.
Stayed: SSR, AKV, AKL, THV, All star music, sprots and movies, , Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR, Coronado, CCV and BRV, Poly, VGF, Port Orleans, Swan & Dolphin
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 5x Magic 1x, Dream 1x
Upcoming:
Riviera Aug 2020
Boardwalk Oct 2020
Aulauni Dec 2020 for NYE
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

This may not be helpful for this trip, but DL related.
For those that cannot get VGC points reservations, Concierge collection at DL resorts waives the $95 exchange fee and Paradise Pier can be booked as low 40 reservation points per night depending on time of year.
WDW Concierge collection does not waive this fee so that is a significant difference in booking CL.
I did not know this and may utilize this option in the future to extend a VGC stay.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #10
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
We visited in July 2011 and stayed at the Grand Californian. We had an amazing trip. The park entrance is amazing.

Make sure there is no one in your group that can get you into Club 33. Itís painful to know that DH had access and we didnít go. I shouldnít forgive my friend who didnít tell me either, but I donít think she knew we were going.

I donít have much to offer, but hope you have a great trip. Highlights for us were the resort, World of Color, DL fireworks and Fantasmic!
Thank you! It's just me and my immediate family going and we will not have access to Club 33 unfortunately. I made sure to ask my husband if he has ever even heard of Club 33 just in case and no luck.