home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #11
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oufpat View Post
Sounds like me and my DH. We retired from healthcare in 2019, had so many travel plans and then COVID hit. So we decided to sell one of our DVC contracts, did a Royal Caribbean cruise in February, going to Alaska on a Princess cruise end of May, and then we'll finish it off with a British Isles Cruise on Disney this September. Time to start planning for 2023!
Wow - such similar plans! 2022 is going to be an awesome year.

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:19 AM   #12
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
You may (or may not) find some useful info (or at least entertainment) in my Alaska cruise post from several years ago.

Unfortunately the photos are missing, but all the info is still there.

Mine was an "out and back" cruise while yours is apparently an "out and keep going" one.
I will check it out for sure - thank you!

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
F
Yes please to tips on the Scotland ports!
I'm sure you'll have a day in Edinburgh (properly pronounced "edd'-in-burra"). What can I say? DO EVERYTHING you can there. It's a great city for visitors. No theme parks or any such nonsense, just explore!

A visit to "Edinburgh Castle" is worthwhile, including the Scottish crown jewels. There is some hill you can climb and see the entire harbor from the top -- I've forgotten where it is but shouldn't be too hard to find!

"Hendersons Salad Table Restaurant" is a traditional lunch stop for visitors.

PS: NEVER use the word "Scotch" to refer to anything other than tape or whiskey!! The proper term is "Scots" for people and their heritage.

Last edited by erikthewise; 04-29-2022 at 12:41 PM.
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #14
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I'm sure you'll have a day in Edinburgh (properly pronounced "edd'-in-burra"). What can I say? DO EVERYTHING you can there. It's a great city for visitors. No theme parks or any such nonsense, just explore!

A visit to "Edinburgh Castle" is worthwhile, including the Scottish crown jewels. There is some hill you can climb and see the entire harbor from the top -- I've forgotten where it is but shouldn't be too hard to find!

"Hendersons Salad Table Restaurant" is a traditional lunch stop for visitors.

PS: NEVER use the word "Scotch" to refer to anything other than tape or whiskey!! The proper term is "Scots" for people and their heritage.
Never, ever pronounce it Edin-burra. Ever!

Edin-bruh is the correct pronunciation! .

The Castle could easily take half a day. And you need to be aware it isn’t really suitable for wheelchairs or those with mobility issues. And also you need to book ahead at the moment, you can’t just turn up and buy a ticket.

The Royal Mile has around 2 dozen museums from top to bottom.

The Palace of Holyrood is at the bottom of the Royal Mile and you can visit unless the Queen is in residence. More of a Stately House feel and a mix of historic and current Royal connections.

The Royal Yacht Britannia is consistently voted the best Tourist Attraction in Scotland and shows more of the 20th century Royal traditions.

The hill is Arthur’s Seat. That’s a long climb and if it’s foggy, Misty or wet (more than likely) you won’t see much! I’d skip that as an option.

My suggestion would be a hop-on hop-off bus tour, with a visit to one of three Royal locations, unless you prefer museums or churches or just a walk around the historic centre.

There are plenty of other options though. Including a visit to Blackness Castle for fans of Highlander.

But I’ll look at the excursion options to see what they have. I know the Tattoo is usually done from Glasgow because of timing, but I hesitate to recommend it only because it means leaving before the end of the performance, and if you mis-time it you won’t be able to get off the Esplanade which would be slightly panic inducing for the return coach trip.

Oh and Henderson’s was a victim of the pandemic. Closed for good.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote