home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #21
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

If you like staying in the larger units then the guaranteed week contracts start getting to be rather big which could be more difficult to sell down the road if you wanted to.

I believe there's been a VGF Thanksgiving 2BR listed for sale for several weeks with one of the brokers.
I saw that contract. 532 points, $84K
I feel for those owners. Since they are selling it so soon, obviously it wasn't right for them. Now they have this expensive purchase that is going to be hard to sell.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #22
kdzgon
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeofFlight View Post
....Week 52 is pretty special in that you are guaranteed either NYE( most of the time) or Christmas. In some cases both( i.e 2016 ). Week 51 includes Christmas most of the time.

IMO- I paraphrase Sal on this-guaranteed weeks are worth it if you are in the market for buying a set number of points that would also allow you to purchase a guaranteed week. I would closely look at contract that fit you vacation style and straddle high variant point seasons.
The problem with weeks such as #52 in 2016 is unless you have enough points and manage to snag the reservation for extra days, you will check in AND check out in the middle of holiday days, so essentially you don't really get either holiday (Christmas or New Year's; you do get NYE) in that year. Of course, with the built in flexibility in the DVC system, this is less of a problem than with standard fixed week timeshares.

I do agree this is a good option for certain styles of vacationing.
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #23
GrumpyInPhilly
Studio

Lurking & learning on MO for a little over a year. 1st post. We have been DVC menbers since 2013 and own at BCV. Stayed there during F&W last year and loved it. Now considering purchasing at VGF as well. Toured the VGF grounds & lobby in October and got a good vibe. Stayed at GF 20+ years ago and have good memories. We like a 1-BR for the space & w/d. We are thinking of purchasing enough points to stay for a week at VGF in a standard 1-BR during Adventure or Choice seasons every other year. This works out to needing a maximum of 268 points. Wed probably purchase 135 or 140 points (banking every other year) to allow for a slight point adjustment by DVD. We never considered a fixed week for a 1-BR since it would be too expensive but in looking at the fixed weeks points chart I noticed that a standard STUDIO during a number of the weeks throughout the year is 138 points. So were contemplating buying a fixed week studio. Now, wed probably never stay in a studio and wed almost certainly opt out of it each year and just use or bank the points. Were thinking that if we purchased one of the 138-point weeks and ever wanted to sell the membership wed get a good price since wed have a fixed week in a standard studio to offer to the buyer. Does this make any sense? Any downsides to doing it? Have others done this? WWYD?
GrumpyInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #24
DVC Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyInPhilly View Post
Lurking & learning on MO for a little over a year. 1st post. We have been DVC menbers since 2013 and own at BCV.
Thanks for joining in!
DVC Information is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #25
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post
The problem with weeks such as #52 in 2016 is unless you have enough points and manage to snag the reservation for extra days, you will check in AND check out in the middle of holiday days, so essentially you don't really get either holiday (Christmas or New Year's; you do get NYE) in that year. Of course, with the built in flexibility in the DVC system, this is less of a problem than with standard fixed week timeshares.

I do agree this is a good option for certain styles of vacationing.
I would think a fixed week Spring or first week in Dec would be good for rentals or resale. Can you adjust your fixed week in any way? If one year you only wanted 5 days would you have to let the week go and chance getting those days at 11 months out?
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #26
DVC Information

Wow, over 50% of you said Yes, you would consider purchasing a guaranteed week.
DVC Information is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #27
coastak
Grand Villa

How they consider a fixed week is my problem. I would consider christmas to New Years the last week of the year every year but if it starts on a certain day..ie Saturday or Sunday as the "week 52" then you get vastly different weeks sometimes. One year could be christmas to New Years. Another could be New Years to jan 6. That is very very different for my work schedule and not something I would want to be stuck with.

I would be interested if I could guarantee Christmas to New Years..if that ever happens

But maybe I don't understand fixed week well enough.
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #28
poster44
One Bedroom

I knew we wanted PVB, but had no idea how the Fixed Week option worked when we made the initial call the first day of availability. THANKFULLY, I read about the FW option here, researched it, had some great input by posters (ty Sal!) and was able to alter one of our two small contracts from 75 to 130 points (the smallest option available, and still easily sellable, imo.) My poor Guide knew nothing about the Fixed Week option and it required Quality Assurance via a three-way phone call to explain the procedure to him. I doubt if we will use the option, even though the week we have Guaranteed is when we visit (one of our 3-4 trips a year). Currently, we want to use the points for a LV rather than Standard and only 5 days, rather than 7. But, I have the peace of mind of knowing that if it ever does get insanely difficult to book that week, it's mine. I see no down-side for me.
poster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #29
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyInPhilly View Post
Lurking & learning on MO for a little over a year. 1st post. We have been DVC menbers since 2013 and own at BCV. Stayed there during F&W last year and loved it. Now considering purchasing at VGF as well. Toured the VGF grounds & lobby in October and got a good vibe. Stayed at GF 20+ years ago and have good memories. We like a 1-BR for the space & w/d. We are thinking of purchasing enough points to stay for a week at VGF in a standard 1-BR during Adventure or Choice seasons every other year. This works out to needing a maximum of 268 points. Wed probably purchase 135 or 140 points (banking every other year) to allow for a slight point adjustment by DVD. We never considered a fixed week for a 1-BR since it would be too expensive but in looking at the fixed weeks points chart I noticed that a standard STUDIO during a number of the weeks throughout the year is 138 points. So were contemplating buying a fixed week studio. Now, wed probably never stay in a studio and wed almost certainly opt out of it each year and just use or bank the points. Were thinking that if we purchased one of the 138-point weeks and ever wanted to sell the membership wed get a good price since wed have a fixed week in a standard studio to offer to the buyer. Does this make any sense? Any downsides to doing it? Have others done this? WWYD?
IMO there really isn't enough history to determine if a fixed week would have any more value over plain old points. DVC is one of the timeshares that bucks the trend with holding value and we know that small point contracts do that so no real need to worry about that being worse. I'll bet that small point contracts at VGF will retain a very good price and I think a fixed week will be fine too so probably just a toss up since you don't really intend to stay in the studio. Now if you thought it would be a good backup and you can get a week that interests you then why not but I think you're ok either way.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #30
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Wondering if you would consider a purchase if you COULD guarantee the HA option you prefer.

Even if you can't be sure you'd go the same week every year, you'd still be able to opt out and use the points. Would be a moot point for the Poly if you want or need a 1 bedroom, though.

Just curious and you obviously can choose to ignore the question.
I doubt it though it would be more tempting to me personally. My dad would resist. He hates to commit to any particular schedule year after year.

But yeah it is tempting if I knew I could guarantee a Poly bungalow with a good view and roll-in shower for NYE week. That is one holiday I know I like to return to Disney year after year. I'm not interested in going up north to NYC, nor am I keen on NYE parties at home that make me have to deal with drunk drivers on the way home. And it's one time when I know everyone will have a few days off from school and work. I could always skip a year and use my points for stays elsewhere, or even cruises.

But then I'd look at the cost (around $211k) and think to myself for that price I could just buy a condo in Orlando and have use of it all year round. My family already owns a beach vacation condo which has both gained in value over the years, is a source of rental income, is available to us any time of the year and is a place we can hang a picture or otherwise make our own. The money spent on a fixed week at Disney begins to approach the money you'd have to spend to buy a condo somewhere. And you get far fewer "ownership" rights. I would not buy a fixed week for a studio. If I'm gonna pay extra for a fixed week, I absolutely insist on getting a kitchen and in-room laundry. So in the end, it would be a very poor use of my money.

Then there's the issue of resale. Those fixed week contracts will be a lot harder to resell, I think. That's little to no return on my investment.

Currently: Heading home by autotrain ()
Current Disney Trip: October 1-28, 2017

Last edited by broganmc; 02-02-2015 at 07:24 AM.
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote