home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I would consider it. (especially resale )
We have no need for one right now, but 6-7 years from now it might be nice to have that as an option.
I like the way DVC does the fixed week and for the right week in the right resort I can see the benefit.
At the direct price per point right now, and considering you have to buy enough points for a whole week + the fixed week premium, I just don't know how likely it is that we would ever get one. If it becomes a popular option and they eventually start showing up on the resale market, maybe.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

I voted yes, but it would only be if the points were less, like they appear to be at the Poly.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
I would consider it. (especially resale )
We have no need for one right now, but 6-7 years from now it might be nice to have that as an option.
I like the way DVC does the fixed week and for the right week in the right resort I can see the benefit.
At the direct price per point right now, and considering you have to buy enough points for a whole week + the fixed week premium, I just don't know how likely it is that we would ever get one. If it becomes a popular option and they eventually start showing up on the resale market, maybe.
I don't think the guaranteed week transfers with ownership.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
I don't think the guaranteed week transfers with ownership.
I think it does.
We had someone post on here a few months back that they did buy guaranteed week resale and that it was in the contract that the guaranteed week did convey. It was also on the deed. Right now, there are 2 contracts on the resale market listed as Guaranteed Week. I don't think the resale agents would/could advertise them that way if the guaranteed week was not going to convey to the new owner.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Djohn06
Grand Villa

Personally I love the fixed with flexibility option. I have the same option on my Starwood resort. I can book my fixed week #24 2 years in advance and if I want a different week, I can request it one year in advance. Easy peezy.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
TimeofFlight
Studio

Default Thanks Mike!

Thanks Mike for the very interesting polls and great commentary associated with them.

I purchased a fix week after reviewing a guaranteed week contract and speaking with senior selling agent for reasons below.

DVC calculated the point buy-in for guaranteed week by taking the average point cost for the reserved week spread over the 50 year contract and adding 10%.

As you pointed out, an owner can opt out of the fixed week anytime before 30 days of arrival and receive a full credit back of the points for the same UY. MS has to be called to get the full point credit as canceling outline will usually result in less than full point reimbursement in most cases because of 10% premium( but not always see conditions below). An owner can also borrow points from the next UY by releasing the guaranteed week.

Once released from the guaranteed week, the points are the same as a floating point contract. You do not pay a 10% premium to rebook.

You also pointed out that the fixed week is immune to point reallocation that may affect that fix week. It is more than likely the benefit would be very little if DVC has a point reallocation for particular days of the week or within point seasons if the change is less that the 10% premium payed but could be additive to the situation below.

Where I do see an advantage is when a guaranteed week typically straddles two different point seasons from year to year. Those contracts could cost more or less point wise in a given year compare to the point chart. This is especially true of those weeks that straddle premier and adventure seasons such as week 52. If you look at next year 2016, week 52 fall entirely in the premier season. Since you are paying a point average over 50 years plus 10% for guaranteed week 52 , in that year the total point cost on the chart is more than the points for the fixed week. This reoccurs periodically during the life of the contract. Similar situations occurs with other contracts that straddle different point seasons but the variance and hence potential point saving are less dramatic.

Owner always has the option to release guaranteed week in those years that the points in the contract cost more than in the charts.

I have notice that DVC has lumped guaranteed week 51 and 52 together with average point calculation weighted to week 51. This cuts down on the week 52 variance and potential point saving for the guaranteed week. The weeks and point requirement at VGF are separated.

Week 52 is pretty special in that you are guaranteed either NYE( most of the time) or Christmas. In some cases both( i.e 2016 ). Week 51 includes Christmas most of the time.

IMO- I paraphrase Sal on this-guaranteed weeks are worth it if you are in the market for buying a set number of points that would also allow you to purchase a guaranteed week. I would closely look at contract that fit you vacation style and straddle high variant point seasons.
TimeofFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
Jenifurby
Two Bedroom

Eventually I would consider it, when we are finally settled down. DH is in the military and we move about every 2 years. We never know how the school calendar/location will work out.

What the toys do when I'm not home
@Jenifurby
Jenifurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #18
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
There are two reasons I don't buy a guaranteed week.

First, I don't go at times when it's difficult to book what I want. I always get the room I want at 11-months (so why pay more for a guarantee?).

Second, I'd rather purchase multiple smaller contracts for the flexibility of being able to sell some points without having to sell all of them.

If you like staying in the larger units then the guaranteed week contracts start getting to be rather big which could be more difficult to sell down the road if you wanted to.

I believe there's been a VGF Thanksgiving 2BR listed for sale for several weeks with one of the brokers.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #19
Hi from RI
Two Bedroom

Didn't even know they did that originally? When did they start to have they always done that? First bought in 2010. But we don't go the same week so do not think it would be worth the money for us. We usually can get what we want...

ME ,DH , DS22 , DD20 , DD12

Stayed at : BLT, AKL, BWV, VGF, HHI, VERO, PVB,
DCL 2016
Before DVC Member: POR, ASM, PVR, OKW
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
kdzgon
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
There are two reasons I don't buy a guaranteed week.

First, I don't go at times when it's difficult to book what I want. I always get the room I want at 11-months (so why pay more for a guarantee?).

Second, I'd rather purchase multiple smaller contracts for the flexibility of being able to sell some points without having to sell all of them.
I'd add a third reason for us: I'm not sure what the resale market would be like if we decided to sell. Most of our contracts are smaller points so the potential market of buyers would likely be larger than for a fixed week.

If we were younger with young children I would be much more likely to purchase a guaranteed week DVC at a resort we loved.
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote