home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
taccol
One Bedroom

We were looking to add on a small Epcot are contract and thought I had found one yesterday. BWV- 25 point contract. Had advance notice that contract was coming so I had checked other resale BWV RS prices. This contract came in $35 over what had estimated. $135 per point for BWV on resale.

THIS IS ME AGAIN...Kicking myself for not buying an Epcot area resale years ago!
So...is it me...or is this on the high end for a resale contract. Last resale contracts were in 2012/2013. I experienced a bit of sticker shock. Looking like a 25 point add on Direct might be a better option with the pricing as it is becoming. Thoughts? I'm looking at this one more as an advantage to booking early during F & W for personal and rental.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #22
mustinjourney
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccol View Post
We were looking to add on a small Epcot are contract and thought I had found one yesterday. BWV- 25 point contract. Had advance notice that contract was coming so I had checked other resale BWV RS prices. This contract came in $35 over what had estimated. $135 per point for BWV on resale.

THIS IS ME AGAIN...Kicking myself for not buying an Epcot area resale years ago!
So...is it me...or is this on the high end for a resale contract. Last resale contracts were in 2012/2013. I experienced a bit of sticker shock. Looking like a 25 point add on Direct might be a better option with the pricing as it is becoming. Thoughts? I'm looking at this one more as an advantage to booking early during F & W for personal and rental.
the small contracts at BCV and BWV are both going for very high amounts. Honestly, I would just go direct. Even if you save $30 a point, you're only talking about $750 in savings...and that doesn't take into account stripped vs loaded, member benefits (if you don't already have them), and the time involved in both finding a contract and going through ROFR/closing. To me, waiting 4 months to get access to the points wouldn't be worth the potential savings.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #23
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Epcot resorts are high right now, possibly due to Star Wars at DHS but mainly because all prices are high. Plus there are a finite number of Boardwalk area resorts, and you are looking for a small contract.

Some prices may be coming down though; my nightly email from one of the DVC brokers had some sub-115 BLT contracts, and they had some points too.

You really have to ask yourself if buying now is worth it, or if you can afford to wait. I wanted BWV but knew I wasn't paying >=$100/point for it, but I also knew I didn't wait to wait for it to drop to the 80's.

The way I see it is how long do you think you can wait, and do you plan on using the points between now and then? If you think prices will drop more in a year+ than the cost to rent the points now then it may not make sense to wait (even if you are overpaying today).

While I know that paying $95/point for BWV was high compared to last year, I need the points so paying a premium now is no different than waiting for prices to drop and temporarily renting points from a broker as I'm out the same amount of money. If I didn't need the points I would have waited it out a year and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccol View Post

DVC properties I've tried: BRV (owner), AUL (owner), BWV (owner), VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Waiting to close on: VGC
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #24
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
the small contracts at BCV and BWV are both going for very high amounts. Honestly, I would just go direct. Even if you save $30 a point, you're only talking about $750 in savings...and that doesn't take into account stripped vs loaded, member benefits (if you don't already have them), and the time involved in both finding a contract and going through ROFR/closing. To me, waiting 4 months to get access to the points wouldn't be worth the potential savings.
Totally agree. For BCV/BWV right now, I would just buy direct. Less hassle, instant access to points, and not really much more money.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #25
taccol
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Totally agree. For BCV/BWV right now, I would just buy direct. Less hassle, instant access to points, and not really much more money.
Thanks everyone...exactly why I hesitated to pounce on it. Was going to give it 24 hours of thought but it sold. So, I think my hesitation was a good thing. We do own one direct contract at VGF. I'm not regretting that decision and after buying 3 previous resale contracts, adding VGF was a BREEZE!!

Thanks for making me feel a bit better about hesitating on that contract price last night.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #26
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

I think the reason those higher prices small sell so fast is because they are often folks looking to get into dvc for not much $ or want a separate uy to take on transfer points. Since DVD won't let you add second master for only 25 with a different uy and won't let new buyers in for only 25 it makes the pricing on a 25 point contract higher. You looking at 50 should be a little less resale but those contracts sell for top $ too. I guess people figure saving a couple hundred is better than nothing. You would think the bigger point contracts would be priced higher just because the savings is so much greater but I guess even at almost direct price the extra $ isn't all that much on the small contracts.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #27
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Personally, I only buy resale if it is a major savings off of direct. It is not worth the extra hassle to me unless I am saving at least $40 per point off of what I would pay direct. I have acquired two contracts resale that way. However the time difference, the ROFR, the research into finding the right contract, and the sometimes lack of not having the previous years points, dont make realse worth it to me otherwise.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #28
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I think bcv and bwv are becaue of food and wine. Also the point charts are more desirable than the newer resorts. We would like to add on at blt and akv for the standards view rooms and value at akl. I think the value rooms at akv is what is driving up the cost there along with the expansion at akl.
It seems for most of the resorts a small contact is a direct purchase.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #29
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
I think bcv and bwv are becaue of food and wine. Also the point charts are more desirable than the newer resorts. We would like to add on at blt and akv for the standards view rooms and value at akl. I think the value rooms at akv is what is driving up the cost there along with the expansion at akl.
It seems for most of the resorts a small contact is a direct purchase.
And because of the concierge rooms. We added on at AKV for the purpose of being able to book concierge. We are hooked!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
And because of the concierge rooms. We added on at AKV for the purpose of being able to book concierge. We are hooked!
I bought when AKV first came out, just to book the Club Level Rooms. We have stayed 4 times Club Level over the years, but not the past 5 years.

I still have my gift for buying AKV when it was first offered......and I show everyone our family name on the Founders Tapestry hanging in the resort. I did not like when DVC eliminated recognition of members whole bought presale at the resorts. And I also did not like when they stopped sending members gifts.