home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
glamdring269
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default What is your threshold for Direct vs. Resale?

We currently own a BCV 75 point contract with Oct UY that we purchased back in 2013. Considering an add on up to 100 points but could honestly get by with a 50 point purchase.

This leads to my question: what is typically your threshold for Direct vs. Resale? For larger contracts it seems resale provides good value but I'm not seeing a lot of value in the <100 point contracts and definitely not seeing much in the 50 point range. We're primarily interested in BWV, BCV, or BLT (potentially AKV) and right now it seems like pricing for those 3 tends to push more towards just going direct.

With that said, I've considered just doing a 100 point purchase if I can find the right contract and just selling what we don't need each year. That might be the more economical way to handle this overall but just looking for feedback from anyone who may have had similar internal struggles.

(FYI - cash purchase in either scenario)
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Another scenario is doing the math on buying a larger contract in the 160 pt range and selling the 75 points.

Because of the difference in resale contracts it's hard to give a definite price - all just comes down to the math and then there's the factor of availability for those resorts direct to add more complications. In general if it would be a few hundred dollars difference then likely direct but once it gets up higher, say $800 or more difference then that becomes more significant like paying for a year of dues or airfare on a trip and would lean me towards resale.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

I would only buy direct if:
I needed full perks.
It included points that made it a better deal that current resale inventory.
I needed to close ASAP.

Otherwise I'd buy resale to save cash.

That being said I'd be hard pressed to buy any 2042 resort direct given that the prices are still very high. When you divide that figure by 24 (years) it is a bad deal on a cost per point per year basis (but I realize that 1 of 3 items I listed above may influence your choice).

DVC properties I've tried: BRV (owner), AUL (owner), BWV (owner), VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Waiting to close on: VGC
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
disney65
Grand Villa

BCV prices are sky high, direct is better option.

If you looking for BLT or BWV then I would suggest the same as earlier post, buy a larger contract to keep your overall cost low and sell the 75 pts contract you have.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
glamdring269
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

If we were to go down the path of buying a larger contract and selling the current one, I assume that means I can throw my current UY out the window if I want to, correct?

I bring that up because it seems Oct UY is somewhat rare relatively speaking. We travel primarily during Oct but doubt we would ever travel during the Feb-May time frame (first week June would be the earliest). Therefore I would think June would probably work just fine as well. Maybe even April?

FYI, we are traveling this upcoming December but mainly just to see the madness during Christmas and I expect that will be a once is enough type of experience.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
mustinjourney
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
If we were to go down the path of buying a larger contract and selling the current one, I assume that means I can throw my current UY out the window if I want to, correct?

I bring that up because it seems Oct UY is somewhat rare relatively speaking. We travel primarily during Oct but doubt we would ever travel during the Feb-May time frame (first week June would be the earliest). Therefore I would think June would probably work just fine as well. Maybe even April?

FYI, we are traveling this upcoming December but mainly just to see the madness during Christmas and I expect that will be a once is enough type of experience.
One thing to think about is that if you sell your old contract and buy a new one resale, you will lose out on your membership benefits since you would no longer be considered a full member. It might not matter to you -- but food for thought.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Yes, buying a new UY then becomes a possibility and opens up more contract options.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
I would only buy direct if:
I needed full perks.
It included points that made it a better deal that current resale inventory.
I needed to close ASAP.

Otherwise I'd buy resale to save cash.

That being said I'd be hard pressed to buy any 2042 resort direct given that the prices are still very high. When you divide that figure by 24 (years) it is a bad deal on a cost per point per year basis (but I realize that 1 of 3 items I listed above may influence your choice).
I agree, and would also state that 2042 resort resale pricing is essentially guaranteed to decline within the next 5-8 years, which compounds the negative financial outlook.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I might buy direct to add on a small contract of about 25-75 points. We did so for our 55, 25 and 25 BWV. Was considering 70 CCV points a few months back but went with 150 more BWV vía resale.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): Dec 30-Jan 4 at OKW/PVB and March 3-10 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

To answer your initial question, I would want to save an absolute minimum of $1000 to go through the hassle of resale. For the extra hassle of a small contract resale, I'd probably want to save $2000.

That includes MFs (I think DVC pro-rates the MFs if you buy part way through the UY?), the additional closing costs of resale, and the state of the points (I value missing/extra points at around $10pp in addition to MFs)

Quote:

Just my opinion, but I would be very hesitant to go this direction. I would suggest putting all the numbers down on paper. If you sell, you have to pay commission. Then when you buy, you will pay higher closing costs. Obviously it all depends on the amount of points you buy and how good of a deal that you can find, but my guess is that just to get another 25-50 points you would save very little if any (might even lose money) over just buying that small contract direct. When you combine that with the loss of the member benefits, personally, I would not do this. We tell new resale purchases on here to go buy 25 points direct to get the benefits all the time. What you are doing is the opposite, giving up a contract that already has the benefits grandfathered in to avoid buying a 50 point direct contract.

On changing UY, from what you have said, it sounds like Oct is a good UY for you ? Unless you want to go in July, Aug or Sept, no reason to change. (Though personally I would not give up AP discounts and access to the Member events to get a new UY. I'm all about having a good UY, but I wouldn't trade the member benefits for it)

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!

Last edited by tink711; 10-09-2017 at 04:30 PM.
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote