home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Default Future WDW DVC resorts, something has to give

The last 10 years by open date:
07/2007 - AKV
08/2009 - BLT
09/2009 - VGC
08/2011 - AUL
10/2013 - VGF
04/2015 - PVB
07/2017 - CCV

Resorts we know are coming: Riviera in fall of 2019
Resorts we assume are coming: BLT II (because it would sell like hotcakes)

So every 2 years we get a new WDW resort, meaning that BLT II (if it happens) would probably open in fall of 2021.

So what happens in 2023?
While you could in theory cram another resort in the monorail space the monorail itself would have to be expanded or replaced for capacity reasons.
Perhaps build a resort NW of Epcot? There is space west of the monorail station.
South of DHS? There is space there.
Convert cash rooms to DVC and add a few super premium cabins/bungalows? (This is what I think the future of DVC is once BLT II opens)

Do all future resorts have to be resort attached in some way to justify $185+/point? I know we've talked about discount DVC but most of us (myself included) can't see it.

My totally uneducated/uninformed opinion is that WDW does not need any more large net-new resorts of any kind, as the parks simply can't accomodate it. You can keep some people out of the parks with other experiences (such as the Star Wars stuff), but the parks themselves will continue to be the draw.

DVC properties I've tried: BRV (owner), AUL (owner), BWV (owner), VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Waiting to close on: VGC
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I think it is time for Disney to go off site again; however, unlike HI, they need to look to the states. NY, DC, New England, Grand Canyon, all times shares that if done correctly could ease the park traffic and be a huge success for disney. HHI, was too soon as was VB. If disney keeps building resorts onsite, I will reassess my own points and decide whether it is worth keeping or not. thhe more inventory, the more it gets watered down imo. VGC is great because it is the only one there, and that is what drives the cost up.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
WiltonJohn
One Bedroom

Wonder if the new coming Star Wars resort will have DVC rooms?????

$1000 a point.

best,

............john
Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

i think the general objective is to downsize hotel business with dvc additions.
availability of on-site rooms has more than reached the saturation point in my mind. dvc has gotten kinda tedious recently.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
jveneskywool
One Bedroom

Default DVC future

Hi
OKW since 93
Disney would be smart to look at the demographics of the original era owners, who like myself are getting older. Another offsite DVC would allow me to use my points which I have a surplus of now since family is in 3 different states, and there are few common vacation schedules that align. I would like to see another DVC in an area with a major airport.

I like the idea of HHI and Vero, but the direct accesss via DME keeps me going to WDW. There you can go all day/night or chill out.
Just an idea.
Best wishes!
jveneskywool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

I'm just not sure they would be interested in non-park resorts because of the cash cow that is the parks. The parks (and their resorts) are the core business, and the past and future of the company. I can't see Disney committing to 50 years at a non-park resort when that money would be better spent developing (or buying) new franchises that will be needed to maintain interest in the parks when (ok "if" to be nice) Marvel and Star Wars taper off.

If Aulani had sold out in 3-5 years I might say they'd do another non-park resort, but it will probably take 10-12 years total to fully sell it out. Is DVC patient enough to open another non-park resort that could potentially take a decade to sell out? Especially given that construction costs are more now than they were in 2008 when Aulani broke ground?

I'm guessing that per-resort guest spend at the parks is much higher than that of HHI/VB/AUL. When we went to Aulani (almost a 2 week trip) we bought snacks from the snack bar (figure at least once per day), one buffet breakfast, and one trip to 'Ama'Ama. All other meals where in room or elsewhere. Divided up that was probably $13 per person per day, which is easily half that of what we spend at WDW (and we don't go crazy at WDW either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveneskywool View Post
Hi
OKW since 93
Disney would be smart to look at the demographics of the original era owners, who like myself are getting older. Another offsite DVC would allow me to use my points which I have a surplus of now since family is in 3 different states, and there are few common vacation schedules that align. I would like to see another DVC in an area with a major airport.

I like the idea of HHI and Vero, but the direct accesss via DME keeps me going to WDW. There you can go all day/night or chill out.
Just an idea.
Best wishes!

DVC properties I've tried: BRV (owner), AUL (owner), BWV (owner), VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Old 10-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Nickys
One Bedroom

Does anyone think they would consider converting some rooms at the other Disney resorts to DVC? I would love to see some availability at Paris especially.

I'm guessing not, just because about 99% of members are in the US, but you know with lower cost air travel for you guys now, it might be worth their while. Perhaps?

Last edited by Nickys; 10-08-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
bwvBound
Two Bedroom

California.

Please?
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

If only there was an easy way to add more floors to existing DL Simba/Pinocchio surface lots without closing them for months (years?) on end, thus allowing for some of that land to be reclaimed for a new resort.

There are just no easy solutions in Anaheim that don't require existing attractions/hotels/theaters/etc. to be torn down. Autopia takes up a huge chunk of land, and even has the monorail running through it, but even Disney wouldn't be cruel enough to replace a ride with a hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
California.

Please?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
mustinjourney
Two Bedroom

They could also expand the new gondola system and build another DVC over by Coronado? (Whatever moderate is by DAK and water park)

They could connect all stars, water park, new DVC, AKV, and DAK via gondola
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote