home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
glamdring269
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

One of the points I find interesting about BCV has to do with the pool and children. That is definitely one benefit. But it seems to me that having walkable access to MK, monorail access, and 20 years of additional contract would make a BLT purchase over a BCV purchase much more sensible to a family buying in today.

What do you guys think?
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #22
flypwm
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
One of the points I find interesting about BCV has to do with the pool and children. That is definitely one benefit. But it seems to me that having walkable access to MK, monorail access, and 20 years of additional contract would make a BLT purchase over a BCV purchase much more sensible to a family buying in today.

What do you guys think?
It depends on what your family likes. I have a 5 year old who has always been lukewarm at best on MK, and us adults feel the same. Her favorite park has always been AK (which is a bus ride from anywhere), and she also loves the pool. On a 7 night trip, we'll visit MK 2x, with the 2nd visit generally being for the Chrismas party.

I would like the additional 20 years of contract, and we almost went that route, until we started talking about it and it became clear we were planning to try to book BCV at the 7 month mark with those points. Did a little research and that's challenging during the times that we typically go, so we just bought the resort we wanted to stay at.

On one hand you can look at it as leaving some value on the table, but in our case, our resort stays pre-DVC have nearly all been Beach Club (with the Dolphin in there a bit as well), so to us it represents a substantial discount on the resort we were already booking.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #23
pdude81
Two Bedroom

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Lots of factors but BCV having walkable access to two parks and can monorail to the other one is pretty impressive for someone with a young family, especially given that now Disney is pumping a ton of money into Epcot and DHS. Also I will say that while there are good pools at all the resorts, if you find an area your kids love to play at it is worth whatever you have to pay to get that peace. Certainly a longer contract would be preferable, but for the time being you don't have an option for a longer contract in the Boardwalk area
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #24
Cjkmiller
One Bedroom

Quote:

What do you guys think?
This is exactly why we bought at both. I can alternate which resort to stay in each year and rent out the other... that is the other plus of both of these, they are easy to rent. So far we have tended to stay at BLT more that BCV as I have a 7yo DD. I still prefer the proximity to MK over a "better" pool. She still just cares that pool exists. We are doing BCV in February as it is a "no park" trip. I like the relaxation of BCV and the proximity to 5 resorts within walking distance.
Cjkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
glamdring269

How many folks actually make the DHS walk from BCV? We're marathoners and made that walk a couple of times from BWV and honestly assumed not many people will end up doing that a second time. It's a lot further than we expected and as I recall we only encountered a handful of people either time (in both directions). I think it's one of those situations where you could do it but for most people I doubt it's a situation where you should do it. Definitely agree on the Epcot proximity though!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #26
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Aside from SSR, BLT seems to be the best value of the resorts. The cost isn't as high as the other monorail resorts and the contract is longer than the Epcot resorts. If you're buying today, you'll generally pay a good amount less to spend a week at BLT compared to BCV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Lots of factors but BCV having walkable access to two parks and can monorail to the other one is pretty impressive for someone with a young family, especially given that now Disney is pumping a ton of money into Epcot and DHS. Also I will say that while there are good pools at all the resorts, if you find an area your kids love to play at it is worth whatever you have to pay to get that peace. Certainly a longer contract would be preferable, but for the time being you don't have an option for a longer contract in the Boardwalk area
We'd thought about that (the monorail to MK), but heard that the schedule is such that you probably won't get to MK very early. Also, I think you'd have to walk through the park to get there, which is a trek (and could be an issue if depending on your tickets). I really liked the BWV point chart, though.

I can see the value in a few years for the proximity to those parks, but on the whole I see them as less desirable than MK or AK. By 2021 when Toy Story, Star Wars, and the new stuff at Epcot is open it'd be much more appealing. Of course, then you'd be looking at even fewer years. Maybe by that point Riviera will have some "affordable" resale prices. I know everyone is different, though, and walking to the festivals has a lot of appeal to people.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #27
pdude81
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
We'd thought about that (the monorail to MK), but heard that the schedule is such that you probably won't get to MK very early. Also, I think you'd have to walk through the park to get there, which is a trek (and could be an issue if depending on your tickets). I really liked the BWV point chart, though.

I can see the value in a few years for the proximity to those parks, but on the whole I see them as less desirable than MK or AK. By 2021 when Toy Story, Star Wars, and the new stuff at Epcot is open it'd be much more appealing. Of course, then you'd be looking at even fewer years. Maybe by that point Riviera will have some "affordable" resale prices. I know everyone is different, though, and walking to the festivals has a lot of appeal to people.
Yes, getting to the BCV from the monorail is ugly, but theoretically possible if your kid is passed out and you don't have it in you to pack up the stroller. I shouldn't even mention that as a benefit since it's may be as much a PITA as taking the bus back on a crowded night

In 2021 Riviera might still be actively for sale, although I expect that there will be high volume there if the economy holds steady. We started with PVB and considered switching to BCV for our add on instead of AKV, but the uncertainty of IG traffic with the gondolas pushed that right out.

Quote:
How many folks actually make the DHS walk from BCV? We're marathoners and made that walk a couple of times from BWV and honestly assumed not many people will end up doing that a second time. It's a lot further than we expected and as I recall we only encountered a handful of people either time (in both directions). I think it's one of those situations where you could do it but for most people I doubt it's a situation where you should do it. Definitely agree on the Epcot proximity though!
There is the walk and the boat depending on crowding, but this option provides the best incentive at the end of the day when fireworks let out and it looks like you'll be waiting a half hour or more for a bus. Agreed it is a long walk
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #28
Nickys
One Bedroom

Quote:
It's not a long walk for us in the morning, 20/25 minutes. A little more than the boys would walk to school or me walking home from work. But after a day at DHS, I would prefer to get the boat. That said, I have walked back after Fantasmic rather than wait for three boat loads

I love just having the choice. Some choose to take the boat to Epcot - that is a step too far in my book, I'd never let the boys live it down if the did that
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #29
glamdring269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
I love just having the choice. Some choose to take the boat to Epcot - that is a step too far in my book, I'd never let the boys live it down if the did that

Hah Never waver from this!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #30
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Yes, getting to the BCV from the monorail is ugly, but theoretically possible if your kid is passed out and you don't have it in you to pack up the stroller. I shouldn't even mention that as a benefit since it's may be as much a PITA as taking the bus back on a crowded night

In 2021 Riviera might still be actively for sale, although I expect that there will be high volume there if the economy holds steady. We started with PVB and considered switching to BCV for our add on instead of AKV, but the uncertainty of IG traffic with the gondolas pushed that right out.
Yeah, I was thinking more in the morning, but if you don't mind the walk it could be an option. Either way, I agree about the monorail; it is wonderful for our double stroller.

I'm not sure about the timeline of Riviera; you're probably right. BWV was a consideration, but we thought PVB would be a better fit for us. BCV just wasn't as appealing, as the point chart at BWV is a bit more friendly.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote