home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
BobParr
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Hope things improve for you soon! Have you thought of renting to bring in some money?
Add me to the recommendations to rent. If you do it through David's, it can happen VERY fast. I've rented through them 5 times, three of them happened within a week of posting and one the very next morning.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping we don't have to sell, but if I can't find a decent job soon I won't have a choice.
Don't rule out renting your points till you get back on your feet. You can easily rent to cover your dues and have a little extra cash back too.

Best of luck with your decision.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
richviii
One Bedroom

Hoping you don't have to sell but now is the time. I am with others, rent with David's if you can. Also, if this contract is grandfathered in to member benefits, if you go back to buy, you won't have that advantage. Here's hoping you can keep it!

2018 Apr - BCV & BLT

Recent
2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani

2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Breyean
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
Renting would give you some cash and you’d still retain ownership. Good luck on the job hunt!
I'm running into the same issues with maybe finally deciding to sell, or to try renting.

Our family situation has changed a lot the past year, and DVC has gone from something we enjoyed and used (since 1993!) to a burden. Both financially and emotionally.

I've been trying to decide whether to rent (I've rented exactly once in all those years, and done one transfer).

The issue we're coming up against, and maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it seems when we rent we are delaying the time we could sell because naturally we couldn't sell with outstanding reservations.

So I look at some rental opportunities at a couple of the rental sites, but I hesitate because then I know if I commit to that I can't sell for many many months. Plus it seems most rentals on the site I used are taken by others before I even knew people were looking for those points that I could fill.

I'm just not cut out for this. Oh, to go back a couple of years when we were always borrowing points and looking forward to our next DVC trips.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
I'm running into the same issues with maybe finally deciding to sell, or to try renting.

Our family situation has changed a lot the past year, and DVC has gone from something we enjoyed and used (since 1993!) to a burden. Both financially and emotionally.

I've been trying to decide whether to rent (I've rented exactly once in all those years, and done one transfer).

The issue we're coming up against, and maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it seems when we rent we are delaying the time we could sell because naturally we couldn't sell with outstanding reservations.

So I look at some rental opportunities at a couple of the rental sites, but I hesitate because then I know if I commit to that I can't sell for many many months. Plus it seems most rentals on the site I used are taken by others before I even knew people were looking for those points that I could fill.

I'm just not cut out for this. Oh, to go back a couple of years when we were always borrowing points and looking forward to our next DVC trips.
You have been a owner for a long time. Things change and vacation habits. If it was me, I would maybe rent and then see how you feel down the line. There is no doubt with resale prices you will make back your money and then some compared to what you paid in 93. But you may end up with sellers remorse and to buy again, well you know the prices.
Not sure what site you are on re: your mention about others. Are you looking at sites that people post what they are looking for? If so, that can be a grab bag. You are better off posting a Points for rent/transfer and let those who are looking contact you. Or you can use a broker.

OP I agree with others that have said Rent your points to hold you over. Davids has a excellent reputation and you can properly get your points rented quicker.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I'm sorta in the same boat as you. I think the thing that most people do under estimate when buying DVC is how life changes and the DVC you love today, may not be a good fit for you in the not too distant future. But, you have been an owner for a long time (93!) -- I've only owned since 2006.

You didn't say how many contracts you own or if you have more than one UY. But, you are correct that while you have outstanding reservations on a contract you can't close until after the trip happens.

I own multiple contracts in the same UY and I'm looking at ways to potentially exit my DVC membership too. What I'm planning on doing is being careful about the contracts I have used reservations for and be sure that the contracts I'm selling do not have any reservations tied to them. I've also considered changing the title of one or two of my contracts and then that would separate those apart with a new member number and transfer points between those two contracts. Hope that makes sense to you and doesn't cause more confusion on your options.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

IMO it shouldn't be a burden and if I felt that way I would sell. There are plenty of other ways to visit Disney should it be of interest in the future - many that offer much more flexibility - and there would also be nothing to prevent you from buying again should it ever be a strong interest again. In addition prices are high now - anyone selling that has owned that long will certainly not be losing out on the sale.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #18
Breyean
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
You have been a owner for a long time. Things change and vacation habits. If it was me, I would maybe rent and then see how you feel down the line. There is no doubt with resale prices you will make back your money and then some compared to what you paid in 93. But you may end up with sellers remorse and to buy again, well you know the prices.
Not sure what site you are on re: your mention about others. Are you looking at sites that people post what they are looking for? If so, that can be a grab bag. You are better off posting a Points for rent/transfer and let those who are looking contact you. Or you can use a broker.

OP I agree with others that have said Rent your points to hold you over. Davids has a excellent reputation and you can properly get your points rented quicker.
I've registered with David's but don't quite understand their model. It seems weird to tell them upfront how many points I have to rent because I'm not sure right now. I own 555 points, 230 at OKW and the rest at VGC (3 contracts there). All 4 have the same UY. I could be tempted to rent out most of them from this year (!) as I have a couple of reservations booked now I might have to cancel. But with David's I just told him what I had left w/o cancelling them. So I don't know if I'm hurting my chances with him because I could rent out a TON more than what I told him.

I also use one of the brokers that posts what renters are looking for. I actually got one of those a few months ago thanks to a MO member who clued me in about the site. But lately I've never seen any I could fill until others have taken them. I guess I don't spend enough time online!

I was also thinking of trying to transfer points to someone (maybe the VGC points w/b in demand?) but I've only done that once so don't have a ton of references. I mean, I could transfer anywhere up to several hundred VGC points, and even more if I did this UY's points before I have to bank them and then also dip into next year's points.

It's a confusing and depressing situation.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I've registered with David's but don't quite understand their model. It seems weird to tell them upfront how many points I have to rent because I'm not sure right now. I own 555 points, 230 at OKW and the rest at VGC (3 contracts there). All 4 have the same UY. I could be tempted to rent out most of them from this year (!) as I have a couple of reservations booked now I might have to cancel. But with David's I just told him what I had left w/o cancelling them. So I don't know if I'm hurting my chances with him because I could rent out a TON more than what I told him.

I also use one of the brokers that posts what renters are looking for. I actually got one of those a few months ago thanks to a MO member who clued me in about the site. But lately I've never seen any I could fill until others have taken them. I guess I don't spend enough time online!

I was also thinking of trying to transfer points to someone (maybe the VGC points w/b in demand?) but I've only done that once so don't have a ton of references. I mean, I could transfer anywhere up to several hundred VGC points, and even more if I did this UY's points before I have to bank them and then also dip into next year's points.

It's a confusing and depressing situation.
If you have a little bit of time to devote you might want to just rent them out yourself here on the rent/trade board. It will involve a couple more emails than thru David's but usually that's all and you can offer the points for closer in rentals if you prefer not to tie it up that long in case you do decide to sell. Transfer would be a good idea since once the points are out of your account you're free to sell should you wish. Remember it's only one transfer in or out per UY though.

With David's, since you get to chose what offers you respond to, you might tell them all the points you might have a possibility of renting.

With multiple contracts you could also just keep one or two and sell the remainder. Maybe too many options for you out there! If I may ask, what is preventing you from selling if DVC feels like a burden?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #20
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

just for the record, when booking a rental, you cannot close on the contract in a sale until after the checkout date. i have been able to move some points around in upcoming vacations to free up points so that i can sell some contracts faster. i'm holding off on selling other contracts at this time.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote