home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Bibbity Bobbity Buying
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #591
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
We just dove in last month. Not new but new to us.

the DW had her Nissan Altima new since 2008 when Audrey was only 6 months old. Car is still in perfect working order (may need a brake job this fall but normal wear) and only has 52K on it but she wanted an upgrade.

So, we found a Lincoln MKZ with the Turbo and AWD and she fell in love with it. That car flies and corners so well. Only had 22K on it and was half price of sticker! Too good to pass up! One month in and so far so good..

Now what to do with a very nice 2008 Nissan Altima SL. Perfect car for a teen so could keep for Audrey but 6 more years is a long time to pay property taxes and insurance on a car that will not be used...hmmmm...
If there's a CarMax in your area, have it appraised there. Usually those places lowball you. But there are certain cars they are in constant need of, and will pay significant sums for them. A well equipped Altima with low miles would be on that list.

My gf sold her 2010 Murano SL that had all the features, but high miles and a lot of wear, to CarMax for $2500 over KBB value because they needed a car like hers. We took it to one of the competitors who say they can beat CarMax with their offer before selling. The guy came back 10 minutes later and said sell it to CarMax as fast as you can because it was a ridiculous offer. lol
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #592
gflatto
Two Bedroom

Default Looking for recommendations for lots of passenger/cargo space

So I haven't read much of this thread, but we are now thinking of getting a new vehicle, and am looking for recommendations. We are looking for something that will hold 7 or 8 people, and also good cargo space (in particular, for an ECV). I'm hoping to keep it from being too huge, but will see what we figure out.

For starters, I'm thinking of looking at the Honda Pilot, the Honda Odyssey, the Toyota Highlander, or the Toyota Sienna. (As you can see, haven't even settled on type of vehicle). Are open to other recommendations, but there are Honda and Toyota dealers near us, and we are familiar and comfortable with their service departments, so that is a consideration.

For this vehicle, space is the number one criterion, but safety features are also really important to us. Generally, mileage is important (we currently have 2 hybrids), but given that we're going to need a rather large vehicle, that is going to have to give at least a bit.

So any thought on those vehicles, or others we should think about?

Thanks!

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon
May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member
May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV
May/June 2010 - VWL
July 2010 - VGC
Christmas 2010 - BLT
May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV
July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!
October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP
May/June 2012 - BCV
Christmas, 2012 - BLT
June, 2013 - AKV (Kidani) and BWV
December, 2013 - VGF and BLT
December, 2014 - BWV
June, 2015 - AKV (Kidani) and SSR
December, 2015 - Christmas Cruise on the Fantasy
October, 2016 - BLT
May/June 2017 - BWV
Next Up: October, 2017 - AKV (Kidani) and CCV
gflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #593
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflatto View Post
So I haven't read much of this thread, but we are now thinking of getting a new vehicle, and am looking for recommendations. We are looking for something that will hold 7 or 8 people, and also good cargo space (in particular, for an ECV). I'm hoping to keep it from being too huge, but will see what we figure out.

For starters, I'm thinking of looking at the Honda Pilot, the Honda Odyssey, the Toyota Highlander, or the Toyota Sienna. (As you can see, haven't even settled on type of vehicle). Are open to other recommendations, but there are Honda and Toyota dealers near us, and we are familiar and comfortable with their service departments, so that is a consideration.

For this vehicle, space is the number one criterion, but safety features are also really important to us. Generally, mileage is important (we currently have 2 hybrids), but given that we're going to need a rather large vehicle, that is going to have to give at least a bit.

Thanks!
Fuel economy concerns?
Need 4-wheel drive?
Does it need to be low vs high as far as the load-floor and getting in & out?
7 or 8 people AND stuff? or 7-8 people sometimes, and plenty stuff other times?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #594
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Fuel economy concerns?
Need 4-wheel drive?
Does it need to be low vs high as far as the load-floor and getting in & out?
7 or 8 people AND stuff? or 7-8 people sometimes, and plenty stuff other times?
I am sure my better half will correct all my mistakes.

For a scooter, we are talking a GoGo Elite travel scooter. We do not plan to go off roading with it so a 4 wheel drive is not needed. We would prefer better mileage but realize that is a trade-off. My 2002 Odyssey got roughly 17 mpg. Would like better than that but don't need to maximize MPG at the expense of room.

Lower might be nicer for getting scooter in and out but I prefer to step up into vehicle such as my Rav4 or Honda Odyssey (what I drove prior to the Rav4). DW has a Prius and I find it harder for me to get down into her car. Thus "lower" is relative since I think any minivan or larger SUV will have me step up into it.

Typically "either or" for stuff and people rather than both at the same time.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #595
jflatto
Grand Villa

Anyone know if the seats can fold down into the floor on any of the SUVs or minivans you are familiar with? I am thinking particularly the second row of seats. In our 2002 Honda Odyssey, the third row folded into the floor but the second row captain seats had to be physically removed and they were a pain to remove and get back in place.

Thanks.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #596
disney65
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
Anyone know if the seats can fold down into the floor on any of the SUVs or minivans you are familiar with? I am thinking particularly the second row of seats. In our 2002 Honda Odyssey, the third row folded into the floor but the second row captain seats had to be physically removed and they were a pain to remove and get back in place.

Thanks.
If space is main concern odyssey will beat all in your list. In general van will have more interior space then a suv. I have both, owned many odyssey never had any problem with any. Switching to suvís As kids are getting big and donít need those sliding doors any more.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #597
Belle & Ariel
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflatto View Post

Thanks!
We traded our Dodge Caravan in for a 2017 Toyota Sienna last week. I am very pleased with it. I love the Stow n Go so had looked into the new this year Chrysler Pacifica. I really wanted it but there is a Facebook group of 2017 Pacifica owners and it has LOTS of problems. The more I researched there and elsewhere it seems this car has lots of problems. I thought about waiting till the 2018s are out a while and see how they do. Then my almost 7 year old Caravan smoked and I thought I was looking at a $1300 repair on a car worth $5000. Luckily it was only $400 and while it was being fixed we looked at the Sienna and bought one two days later.
Those are the two choices for 8 passenger seating. Right now the Pacifica has a recall where the middle seat comes unbuckled so you're not supposed to use it but the repairs will not begin for a month or so. It took 5 months of persistent calling to get my old van in for a recall.
My Sienna is huge. I cannot stop in the garage where I did with the Caravan. There is a little more room behind the back seats than our old van.
We bought the XLE to get the sunroof and Navigation and a few other goodies. It has a blind spot safety feature where there is a blinking light on either rear view mirror to tell you not to change lanes. There is also a chime warning when you back up if something is there. I prefer cloth seats on LE, but XLE has leather.
I agree with the above comment about Carmax. We went there and got a bid. If we got a better deal buying a new car without trading, we could sell it to them within 7 days. It turned out when we were buying the Sienna they said they would give x on trade. We said we would keep and sell to Carmax. They met the bid(which was just $200 more but then we also saved sales tax on the trade value) so it made it easier.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #598
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post

Thanks.
How flat/fold-down are you looking for? I'm not aware of any SUVs with 2nd-row that do any more than have the backs fold flat down onto the seat bottom.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #599
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
How flat/fold-down are you looking for? I'm not aware of any SUVs with 2nd-row that do any more than have the backs fold flat down onto the seat bottom.
I agree with this. I don't know of any SUV that offers "stow and go" seating that folds into the floor like on minivans. Most may have backs that fold flat onto the seats creating a level cargo surface. But if you're looking for an open area between the front and third row, you're probably going to have to oull out the seats. Some do offer a fold and tilt type seat that would create additional space.

I'm pretty sure the Chrysler family minivans still offer stow and go too.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote