home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #151
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom
 
cpnkirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
From that map, it looks like Pop is winning as far as territory goes, but Soda is probably ahead on population (note: I didn't study very long so if there were details somewhere with all that spelled out, forgive me for being so obvious).

However, Coke is the way we say it - and it's very common to hear a server say "is Pepsi ok?"
__________________
Jun 2019 BC/BWV/AKV
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #152
mustinjourney
Grand Villa
 
mustinjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
And what do they call it if it really is Coke?
I’d like a coke
What kind?
Regular.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #153
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
And what do they call it if it really is Coke?
Coke.... just regular coke.

We're a house divided. I say soda, my husband says Coke. We live in an area where they say soda pop or pop. Hearing some people say "pop" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Can't stand it with a nasal-y accent.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #154
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreis76 View Post
Exactly! I don’t get this. We never use straws at home so why does everyone seem to need them when they go somewhere else? I understand for younger kids but older kids and adults this confuses me
At home, I who am serving the beverage have not been spending hours touching paper money and other people's dirty dishes before serving myself. At least not in most cases.

Then we get to whether or not the mouths of 10 other people have been on the same glass that day. Now I get to wonder if the person washing dishes is under the weather and not on their game that day.

While I think that we should find a new way given that the current way is destructive, let's not pretend that there are no reasons for straws
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #155
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado
 
luaulei321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post


Coke is short for Coca Cola.

People around here use all of the common terms, but I think most people just say “soda”.
__________________
BLT, VGC, Aulani
luaulei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #156
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado
 
luaulei321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
At home, I who am serving the beverage have not been spending hours touching paper money and other people's dirty dishes before serving myself. At least not in most cases.

Then we get to whether or not the mouths of 10 other people have been on the same glass that day. Now I get to wonder if the person washing dishes is under the weather and not on their game that day.

While I think that we should find a new way given that the current way is destructive, let's not pretend that there are no reasons for straws
This is why I use straws at restaurants. I also decline the lemon wedges for the same reason.
__________________
BLT, VGC, Aulani
luaulei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #157
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado
 
erikthewise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 6,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Coke.... just regular coke.

We're a house divided. I say soda, my husband says Coke. We live in an area where they say soda pop or pop. Hearing some people say "pop" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Can't stand it with a nasal-y accent.
Don't blame you! It's not easy to say "pop" with a nasal accept, so it must be pretty obnoxious.

"She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie... just regular Coke."
__________________

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #158
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Don't blame you! It's not easy to say "pop" with a nasal accept, so it must be pretty obnoxious.

"She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie... just regular Coke."


My aunt is the worst at it. She has severe disabilities and pop is seemingly harder to say, so it kind of loudly gets pushed out. Love her a lot and kind if glad she now just asks for her preferred diet coke.

The offspring won't drink carbonated drinks so it's now mostly just coke... regular Coke here
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #159
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,630
Default

pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #160
D C
Add-on Aficionado
 
D C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 10,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
At home, I who am serving the beverage have not been spending hours touching paper money and other people's dirty dishes before serving myself. At least not in most cases.

Then we get to whether or not the mouths of 10 other people have been on the same glass that day. Now I get to wonder if the person washing dishes is under the weather and not on their game that day.

While I think that we should find a new way given that the current way is destructive, let's not pretend that there are no reasons for straws
Does the same logic and provenance of germs not also follow the rest of a meal? I presume the plate and silverware have the same or a greater likelihood of being contaminated, no?
__________________
~Dave
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software