home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #251
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf2018 View Post
If Disney really wanted to make a difference in it's waste, it would start collecting and composting all the food waste that it has on a daily bases. I can't believe they haven't done this already, not only is it good for the environment but would save them a ton of money.
Take the Keys to the Kingdom tour so you can see why CM's refer to Splash Mountain as Trash Mountain (hint: it involves high pressure jets of ground up trash) or how they process every bag of trash by hand to remove all recyclables and compostables. Take the Back to the Seeds Tour to find out about Disney's growing intitatives to eliminate waste and spoilage.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #252
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Or the back stage tour in AK that includes the animal meal prep area to hear that is a zero waste operation.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #253
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Take the Keys to the Kingdom tour so you can see why CM's refer to Splash Mountain as Trash Mountain (hint: it involves high pressure jets of ground up trash) or how they process every bag of trash by hand to remove all recyclables and compostables. Take the Back to the Seeds Tour to find out about Disney's growing intitatives to eliminate waste and spoilage.
DH and kids want to set up our own aquaponics system here. Living with the Land is a family favorite, and we all enjoyed Behind the Seeds. Have to keep reminding them that we donít have Disneyís budget and have to start small...
Old 08-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #254
Kathy O
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
DH and kids want to set up our own aquaponics system here. Living with the Land is a family favorite, and we all enjoyed Behind the Seeds. Have to keep reminding them that we donít have Disneyís budget and have to start small...
AeroGarden is a good way to start small. We've had ours for about a month. It's amazing!
Kathy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #255
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
AeroGarden is a good way to start small. We've had ours for about a month. It's amazing!
Iíll check into that. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 AM   #256
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

As an engineer -- my only comment is that a pareto chart would be helpful with this discussion.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #257
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
As an engineer -- my only comment is that a pareto chart would be helpful with this discussion.

Straws would be waaaaayyyyy off to the right, and barely recognisable as a bar. I suspect far more plastic could be saved (especially at Starbucks where the "fix" uses more plastic than before) by simply reducing the wall thickness of every single-use water bottle by a fraction of a mm.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #258
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Environmentally, Disney is a top notch company.....a leader in the industry.

Personally, I would like to see them do away with selling bottled water and soda products, and feature refillable stations and water bottle filling stations. I know this will not happen any time soon.....but it could in a few years, if Disney wanted too.
I'd like this as well!
JerseyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #259
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post

Straws would be waaaaayyyyy off to the right, and barely recognisable as a bar. I suspect far more plastic could be saved (especially at Starbucks where the "fix" uses more plastic than before) by simply reducing the wall thickness of every single-use water bottle by a fraction of a mm.
It probably is far to the right of any Pareto chart (I couldn't find a Pareto, but I found a stack chart that showed that all of consumer was relatively small next to packaging). Not worth it.

After all, how could one start a revolution against race inequality with one person refusing to go to the back of the bus. Ludicrous!

Cheers.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #260
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
It probably is far to the right of any Pareto chart (I couldn't find a Pareto, but I found a stack chart that showed that all of consumer was relatively small next to packaging). Not worth it.

After all, how could one start a revolution against race inequality with one person refusing to go to the back of the bus. Ludicrous!

Cheers.
Pretty sure your example represents a small slice off the big bar on the left of the chart.

Plus, the entire chart we're talking about is plastic. A plastic bottle CAP weighs 7-10x what a straw weighs. Get rid of all of the straws and you've eliminated less than 2 hundredths of a percent of the discarded trash.

Is it a start? About like stopping alongside the road and picking a single paper cheeseburger wrapper out of a tossed-out McDonald's bag, leaving the rest, and feeling good because you did something about litter, and it's a start.

Eliminate ONE water bottle, and you've done the equivalent of 25 straws. Do that every day for a month and you're over a year's worth of straws. This is an exercise in ignoring the low hanging fruit in order to make people feel good about themselves.