home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Should DVC implement more restrictive policies toward reservation modifications?
YES 98 35.13%
NO 181 64.87%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
Lensman
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
I would love to see a follow up poll about the morality of booking a room at eleven months with no plan to keep it if you can get something more desirable at the 7 month window.
I don't see anything wrong with making backup plans. Just as I don't see anything wrong with someone making a reservation and then changing their mind.

Do I think these things should have a cost? Maybe, but my wife often tells me that monetary incentives can't solve everything. It certainly hasn't solved the problem of keeping the kids bathroom clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i say let it be. more rules could make things worse in ways that we have not yet imagined.
I too worry about the unintended consequences of restricting changes. Another reason I'm more in favor of small fees to discourage costly behavior.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
handa
Two Bedroom

If we haven't had to modify reservations due to flight availability, changes in party situation, and in one case having to move my pre-approved vacation days because my boss wanted them for her third timeshare trip that year (in the end it didn't matter so I'm a little bitter about this), I would say that tighter reservation policies would be the way to go.

However, even booking at 11 months, we've not been able to get everything we wanted 100% of the time. One itinerary even resulted in us having to book a POP for a night because we simply could not get a room for that night due to demand, and that was a January trip. In another instance, we ended up having to bank an admittedly small number of points that we ended up losing by the rules, and points are money in my mind.

If there were some kind of limit to the number of times points may be shifted during a UY or something like that, I would have no problem if this would prevent "reservation abuse."

Then again, if our contract was like a typical (and recently-offered) week-long timeshare contract with limited options regarding transfer of privileges, then DVC would not be for us because our vacation situation has been so fluid over the past 6 or so years.

Chris

P.S.--"Saving" pool chairs with resort towels is a social rule, and the opposite of the resort rule. I think that there is a difference between working within the rules and ignoring a rule regardless of level of enforceability. These kind of things result in significant alteration of programs, such as what happened with the GAC a while back.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

I have never walked a reservation. I am considering doing it for Thanksgiving 2016...but, very time consuming.

I say the measures needed to enforce disallowing this would be detrrementail to others who are not intending to walk a reservation, but need to make a change.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #14
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
The rules state you can book your home resort 11 months prior to check in. NOT 11 months less 2 days or whatever duration one would walk, so technically walking is not following the rule.
It is like the people who get up at 7 and put pool towels on chairs they will not use till noon or the people who grab a table at a counter service while someone waits in line to get food. People with trays walk around not able to get a table because the people who do this.
Sadly some have a me me me mentality that the rules do not apply to them and have no consideration for others.
If everyone walked, they would have to hire extra cms to handle all the changes or our wait times would increase further.
Hang on. So you think it's better to have everyone in a party stand in line to order instead of half going to the table and waiting? So you just fill up the line with unnecessary people and make ordering twice as more difficult. Or maybe they should just stop filling orders until people vacate the tables. Then you've got a sit down restaurant instead of counter service.

By it's very nature, a counter-service restaurant is a place where you can get food at the counter. Nowhere do they promise a table is provided. In fact, you don't even have to buy food to use a table. You can sit down and read a book, for all they care.

Reservation walking is only required for a handful of rooms and days during the year. This just happens to be one of those times. The Christmas to New Year's holiday week. Since they've gone to online booking, Member Services has been freed up a lot. When they only did day-by-day check out bookings there was a mad rush to dial in at precisely 9am and spit out your request then hope the CM had fast enough fingers to lock it in. And you'd have to do this every day for a week to complete a reservation. God help you when MLK holiday fell in the middle of your booking and you forgot.

I hated those booking years. (Especially since getting an HA room required an extra 30 minute hold while they tried to get Disability Services on the phone to block the room.) Trying to get Dec 30-Jan 2 was one strenuous time. I much prefer what we have now, even if it does mean I have to resort to some hoops to get one particular room reservation. (My HA BWV studio in standard view.)

Currently planning
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
handa
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I would love to see a follow up poll about the morality of booking a room at eleven months with no plan to keep it if you can get something more desirable at the 7 month window.
Trying to get a different resort at 7 months in no way guarantees that you are going to get all or part of it. I would guess that many times, members book their home resort at 11 months just to ensure that they get a reservation for their preferred time of travel.

Chris
Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #16
DVC Data

For me, this is a non-issue, at least personally.

I have never been harmed by someone walking a reservation, as I have never been locked out of booking what I want. I get the reservation I want - 100% of the time - because I book my home resort at the 11-month window and I don't book at the busiest times.

So, I have no skin in this game. I'll post on a topic like this because I'm attempting to stimulate an interesting conversation (this is a discussion forum, after all).

I really don't think DVC is going to do anything here, any way. Most members are simply unaware of the practice so they're not going to complain. The practice doesn't harm Disney.

Placing restrictions on booking is going to harm the flexibility of the reservation system, so I'm not sure I'd want any changes.

I guess they could implement a rule that would allow you to change your end date to whatever you want, but only allow you to pull your start date earlier and not allow you to push it out.

That would stop walking but again, harm the flexibility of the DVC system.
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #17
Belle & Ariel
Two Bedroom

Quote:
This is exactly my point, it was 9:15. Just because it became available how do you know it was being walked?
It became available a few days later. My guess is someone had walked and cancelled to get the days they would actually use.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #18
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
It became available a few days later. My guess is someone had walked and cancelled to get the days they would actually use.
Or someone like my wife said, " hell no we are not spending Christmas Day away from family, make it later in the week."

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #19
Micah008
Grand Villa

I personally see nothing wrong with walking a reservation, as it is within the rules, as you are making a reservation 11 months before the date you are booking.

What I would like to see the ability to modify reservations added to the website, so this isn't a "burden" on MS. There are plenty of other reasons to modify a reservation, especially as other nights or waitlists become available and change our plans, and having to call to modify sometimes means the night is no longer available.

It would also be nice while they are at it to be able to book a room with transferred points without having to call MS.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 ???
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #20
Belle & Ariel
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
Hang on. So you think it's better to have everyone in a party stand in line to order instead of half going to the table and waiting? So you just fill up the line with unnecessary people and make ordering twice as more difficult. Or maybe they should just stop filling orders until people vacate the tables. Then you've got a sit down restaurant instead of counter service.

By it's very nature, a counter-service restaurant is a place where you can get food at the counter. Nowhere do they promise a table is provided. In fact, you don't even have to buy food to use a table. You can sit down and read a book, for all they care)
When we were there this New Years the counter serve near the Wishes desert party had tables and chains blocking all entrances to seating except one. There were signs to go to a certain entrance once you had food and 2 cms let you in.
This has been done other times we were there without the blockades. Disney every now and then only allows people to get a table once they have food.
Ordering is not at all more difficult when a family stays together--not sure how that could be. By your way you are instead filling tables with unnecessary people thus making others stand to eat.
I think Disney DOES care if you are just there to read a book when others are walking around with trays looking for a table. If people who cannot sit to eat and do not buy food, they care very much. I think they put the tables there for people to buy their food and eat at them.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote