home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
Dana
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
How do I use Disney's Magical Express with a split stay?
It is still possible to use DME for a split stay. You will need to call and make sure they put your arrival flight on your first stay, and then put your departure flight on your second stay.
Thanks Micah! Really appreciate all the organizing of WDW info. you do! Several items:

1. I read that moved luggage might not show up until 4 pm at the new resort, regardless of time checked out from the old resort. (I have no experience one way or another regarding this.)

2. Can I not just book DME on-line - the flight in on the first reservation and the flight home on the last reservation?
Dana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Great work. I will sticky it.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
Thanks Micah! Really appreciate all the organizing of WDW info. you do! Several items:

1. I read that moved luggage might not show up until 4 pm at the new resort, regardless of time checked out from the old resort. (I have no experience one way or another regarding this.)

2. Can I not just book DME on-line - the flight in on the first reservation and the flight home on the last reservation?
Luggage transfer gets done once a day around 2 PM so they usually do not show up in next resort till close to 4 pm.

Yes you can book DME for one leg of the trip, do not understand the question clearly.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
dvcnewbie1212
Grand Villa

Great Summary and Information, thanks!
2012 AKV 1st DVC visit
2013 SSR waterpark trip
2013 AKV Girls Only
2014 DCL,VB,OKW
2015 PVB & AKV
dvcnewbie1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
... You might add a note to the effect that when you switch resorts, you may want to make sure you take with you whatever you need for the day as you will be homeless and depending on when your items are moved from one resort to another, you may not have access to your luggage.
I added an additional note on this, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
...if you checked out from first and did not check in to second your MB would not work for charging privilege, you have to check in first to keep the charging privilege. If you charge early morning like breakfast, that will stay with first resort and your cc will get charge for that later on or at check out.
I added some notes on this topic, most importantly to have a second form of payment on the transfer day to make sure you can pay for lunch either way.

I agree it will for sure not go to your second room until after you check in there, but I had read somewhere that you can still charge to your MB after a normal check out (for buying things at the airport, etc) and it would still just go to the CC connected to the room. I didn't do this personally, and just used a Gift Card, which is why I am not 100% sure how it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
If you have lots of MB, use the MB that was sent for that perticular reservation to avoid room key mix up. Resort software does not recognizes lots of MBs if you have because of multiple trips. Use the MB associated with the reservation.
I added a few additional notes on this topic also. I haven't had the problems that you have, so I am still convinced it is necessary to always use the MB with the reservation.

Without getting back into that topic here... I tried to word it in a way to show it can/should work fine, but it is recommended to just use the MB that came with each.

Quote:

I don't remember the exact time I checked in at AKL, but I believe it was before 4pm. I added a note that it could be later in the day, possibly late afternoon.

From what I remember you can't do the DME properly online for a split stay, it has to be over the phone. I will be able to report back on this one in a few weeks.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
mitchwebb
One Bedroom

Thank you I should of read this before asking the FP+ question.

I was not able to make 180 day dinning reservation on line for my entire stay today so I got worried about FP+.

Both IT and Customer Service (not sured what they call it) said I would not be able to book all my FP+ at 60 days out. I would have to wait for my second reservation to open up to book for my second resort.

Now I feel better since I am sure yours is the most accurate info
New Years BWV 12/28-1/3 (might sneak a day to potter land)
mitchwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Just a couple of comments on this based on my recent experience with split stay.
1) I had also heard 4 and that is what we allowed for in our plans but it worked out for us to be better than that. When we did our transfer from SSR to VGF, BS at SSR told us that since it was a relatively slow time, our luggage would probably be available by 2:30 (though he did say they usually tell guests 4pm, the distinction was we were in a slower season and maybe Friday isn't a common day to switch resorts, so that may also have improved our delivery time). When our VGF room became available at 3, we contacted BS and had our luggage in our room by 3:15. So, I don't know when it actually got to VGF, but we had it in our room at 3:15.

2) I booked our DME on-line (new at this, so I never even thought to call MS, I thought booking it on line was just what everyone did). Anyway, I booked it but I created 2 different DME ressies. One for the trip from MCO to SSR, and another for the trip from VGF to MCO. I assumed based on the way I filled it out that it was what you were supposed to do, and we had no problems with DME, so apparently the way I did it was at least good enough .

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
ggatorgirl
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwebb View Post

Both IT and Customer Service (not sured what they call it) said I would not be able to book all my FP+ at 60 days out. I would have to wait for my second reservation to open up to book for my second resort.
Just this week, I booked FP+ for both parts of our split stay at 60 days out from the beginning of the first stay. No Problem!

ggatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
Dana
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Just a couple of comments on this based on my recent experience with split stay.
1) I had also heard 4 and that is what we allowed for in our plans but it worked out for us to be better than that. When we did our transfer from SSR to VGF, BS at SSR told us that since it was a relatively slow time, our luggage would probably be available by 2:30 (though he did say they usually tell guests 4pm, the distinction was we were in a slower season and maybe Friday isn't a common day to switch resorts, so that may also have improved our delivery time). When our VGF room became available at 3, we contacted BS and had our luggage in our room by 3:15. So, I don't know when it actually got to VGF, but we had it in our room at 3:15.

2) I booked our DME on-line (new at this, so I never even thought to call MS, I thought booking it on line was just what everyone did). Anyway, I booked it but I created 2 different DME ressies. One for the trip from MCO to SSR, and another for the trip from VGF to MCO. I assumed based on the way I filled it out that it was what you were supposed to do, and we had no problems with DME, so apparently the way I did it was at least good enough .
Thanks for the added info! Looking forward to testing it in January .
Dana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
ppony
Studio

We are also habitual split-stay vacationers. I'm about to do a first for us, a split w/ a DCL cruise in the middle. Unless someone already knows to add information, I'll report back as to how it was to have luggage and food (including cold food) kept for 5 days. I've never had to leave anything w/ them longer than half a day or so. I know they don't have any problem holding your luggage for you while you cruise, but I'm not sure how they will be with food that requires refrigeration.