home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
DVCDisneyRunner
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Is This Normal?

I had a reservation for a studio at SSR from 12/30-1/8. We decided a little late that we would have preferred to be in a 1 bedroom. With that in mind I had been checking the RAT from time to time to see if anything popped up. Well yesterday 12/17 a 1 bedroom for 1/2-1/8 showed as available. I call MS and get a very friendly lady on the phone but she keeps telling me she can not change the reservation without risking losing the studio and the 1 bedroom. She would have to cancel the one before booking the second... This is the first thing that was odd and if it were not for it being such a limited find I would have said good bye and called back, but given the time sensitive nature I pressed on and asked her why not and that it seems that is what they do all the time for wait list from one resort or unit to anotehr. Long story short she ends up borrowing points from my next use year to book the 1 bedroom then cancels the studio. So I have the rooms I want but now the points from the studio are in Holding. She puts me on hold and after a few minutes comes back and says she has submitted a ticket to have the points reallocated to my 2018 use year and it should only take a few days... should be done by the New Year.

So my question.... Is this normal?

Seems to me this should be something they do routinely or am I missing something.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
melk
Grand Villa

The thing is she would have had to cancel the studio first. Because it's a busy time the risk was there that in those few minutes the one bedroom could have been scooped up by someone. I think she covered the bases for you and at least she's going to try and reallocate the points.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
disneydre@ming

I think it may be normal! I recently was in a similar situation and the CM told me he would check inventory for the room type/resort to which I wanted to switch before cancelling my prior reservation. He said if inventory was tight he could still do it, but it would require some "creativity" and a few "extra steps"
Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Why not waitlist it with instructions to cancel the other reservation?

I've done this while on with a CM when I knew a room was available and it filled automatically while I was still on the phone.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Yes, that is normal.

There is a method to do it yourself online with 2 browsers but if the website burps then you could still lose both. I've heard of people pressing for a supervisor to get involved who may be able to hold inventory but the couple of times I've spoken to supervisors about things they didn't seem particularly helpful either.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

I guess it depends on who you get on the line. I recently had a reservation in Mid-March at AKL in a SV studio and wanted to move to BWV. I kept watching but no studios were opening. Finally a standard view 1 Bedroom opened. I did not need the 1 bedroom but really wanted to be at BWV so I decided the extra points are worth it.

Called and told the CM I wanted to switch the reservation but ONLY if he could do it without me losing anything because I knew there were no more SV studios left either. He just swapped them out and even kept the same reservation number. Not sure how but I am happy.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
DVCDisneyRunner

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Why not waitlist it with instructions to cancel the other reservation?

I've done this while on with a CM when I knew a room was available and it filled automatically while I was still on the phone.
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEGRAM View Post
I guess it depends on who you get on the line. I recently had a reservation in Mid-March at AKL in a SV studio and wanted to move to BWV. I kept watching but no studios were opening. Finally a standard view 1 Bedroom opened. I did not need the 1 bedroom but really wanted to be at BWV so I decided the extra points are worth it.

Called and told the CM I wanted to switch the reservation but ONLY if he could do it without me losing anything because I knew there were no more SV studios left either. He just swapped them out and even kept the same reservation number. Not sure how but I am happy.
makes me wonder if perhaps I was working with some one that did not have a complete knowledge of how to use the system. It would seem odd if MS was not able to swap out a reservation that used more points without the hassle of having to create a ticket to have my points allocated back to the year they belong. And if I had not had the points to borrow I would have been out of luck.... This can't be the way it is suppose to work and if it is it needs to be fixed IMHO.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCDisneyRunner View Post
I had a reservation for a studio at SSR from 12/30-1/8. We decided a little late that we would have preferred to be in a 1 bedroom. With that in mind I had been checking the RAT from time to time to see if anything popped up. Well yesterday 12/17 a 1 bedroom for 1/2-1/8 showed as available. I call MS and get a very friendly lady on the phone but she keeps telling me she can not change the reservation without risking losing the studio and the 1 bedroom. She would have to cancel the one before booking the second... This is the first thing that was odd and if it were not for it being such a limited find I would have said good bye and called back, but given the time sensitive nature I pressed on and asked her why not and that it seems that is what they do all the time for wait list from one resort or unit to anotehr. Long story short she ends up borrowing points from my next use year to book the 1 bedroom then cancels the studio. So I have the rooms I want but now the points from the studio are in Holding. She puts me on hold and after a few minutes comes back and says she has submitted a ticket to have the points reallocated to my 2018 use year and it should only take a few days... should be done by the New Year.

So my question.... Is this normal?

Seems to me this should be something they do routinely or am I missing something.
This is standard procedure. You can make wait list in which they will do everything in the background with cancellation and booking as wait list inventory gets put on hold differently then direct booking.

Glad they issued a ticket to put your points back in to 2018 after borrowing.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCDisneyRunner View Post
This

and this

makes me wonder if perhaps I was working with some one that did not have a complete knowledge of how to use the system. It would seem odd if MS was not able to swap out a reservation that used more points without the hassle of having to create a ticket to have my points allocated back to the year they belong. And if I had not had the points to borrow I would have been out of luck.... This can't be the way it is suppose to work and if it is it needs to be fixed IMHO.

I guess everybody will agree on a fix for this, but seems the way inventory can be put on fold for a booking is different then what we like.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
DVCDisneyRunner

Default The Solution

I wanted to close the loop on this one.

After a couple days my points that were placed into holding have been reallocated to my 2018 UY and all is good.

It may not be the most efficient way for them to handle these transactions, but the MS rep. was great and what she told me is what happened... So I am happy (still a little dismayed by the process but now I know)