home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The legend is that nobody dies at Disney - doesn't say anything about the dead coming back . . .

In all seriousness - this really surprises me. I'm generally not icked out about things like this, but there are some practicalities. The lack of cleaning stations makes absolutely no sense to do this. Body juices can get on you, regardless of how well gowned you are.

And even dead bodies drip fluids which need to be cleaned up.

These kinds of seminars really need to be done in university and hospital labs.

Dirk
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
John2247
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by micca View Post
Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #13
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Wink Total ick

I am grossed out

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
noreen99
One Bedroom

lol always heard rumors of a real skull at pirates.

Think that's how they got it? leftover from one of the cadivars?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NeLfurx-EUT8rp
noreen99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I may have missed it, but the article doesn't tell what types of organizations or institutions hold these "conventions". The only legitimate ones (medical schools, hospitals, and ...?) would have their own facilities. And who attends? Presumably surgeons who feel the need to hone their skills or learn new ones, apparently outside those traditional settings. And who teaches in this unsanctioned setting?
Many questions....

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I may have missed it, but the article doesn't tell what types of organizations or institutions hold these "conventions". The only legitimate ones (medical schools, hospitals, and ...?) would have their own facilities. And who attends? Presumably surgeons who feel the need to hone their skills or learn new ones, apparently outside those traditional settings. And who teaches in this unsanctioned setting?
Many questions....
It's really very bizarre. Makes me wonder if anybody is practicing treatments for Ebola at the Holiday Inn and assembling nuclear bombs at the Radisson . . .

Dirk
Old 12-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #17
krisephillips
One Bedroom

I have attended seminars similar to this in Florida to learn new operating techniques/use of new surgical instruments or implants but the cadaver (hands on) section was always held at a medical facility, college campus or at/in the companies lab facilities. (The vast majority of companies have a mobile semi trailer that they have outfitted with appropriate equipment for cadaver labs that can be placed in the parking lot of the resort).

We would meet to have the didactic/educational instruction at the resort but move to the labs on opposite days or later in the week.

If I attended this kind of program I would immediately report it to the state medical board and health department. This has to be a fly by night company/distributor who has no clue.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #18
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Welp, Yacht Club USED to be my favorite.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- May 15-19 at HHI, Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and March 3-6 at BWV & 6-9 at ???
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Perfectly quiet cadavers that Iím not even aware of, or someoneís yappy little dog next door howling and whining... Iím fine with the cadavers.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisephillips View Post
I have attended seminars similar to this in Florida to learn new operating techniques/use of new surgical instruments or implants but the cadaver (hands on) section was always held at a medical facility, college campus or at/in the companies lab facilities. (The vast majority of companies have a mobile semi trailer that they have outfitted with appropriate equipment for cadaver labs that can be placed in the parking lot of the resort).

We would meet to have the didactic/educational instruction at the resort but move to the labs on opposite days or later in the week.

If I attended this kind of program I would immediately report it to the state medical board and health department. This has to be a fly by night company/distributor who has no clue.
Well, this begs many questions. How does a fly-by-night company get its hands on cadavers? Just what kind of body market is there for corpses? Could a High School science club get their hands on one? Does Disney's reservation form include a question regarding number of bodies needed for seminars?

The author of the article checked with the San Francisco Health Department, which swore it was an internet rumor until presented with the evidence. Apparently this is a fairly unregulated practice.

You can't scatter ashes, which are perfectly safe, anywhere you want, but you can stroll into any hotel ballroom and cut open a corpse.

Jim jokes that he wants his mortal remains left at Disney. Guess I'll have to tell him to donate his body to science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Perfectly quiet cadavers that I’m not even aware of, or someone’s yappy little dog next door howling and whining... I’m fine with the cadavers.
Not to mention the very attractive impressionistic drip patterns the show up in the ballroom carpet after each seminar . . .

Hey, maybe the dog is barking to alert people it smells cadavers!!

Dirk