home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

For a short while a few years ago they would split reservations and allow different dining plans for different parts of the stay. That ended pretty quickly as it seemed to create a huge mess. Since then it's virtually impossible to get a reservation split. You need to originally book it that way and there have been a few reports that if DVC notes the split they might combine it together.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I understand and I was also told you cannot "divide" a reservation.

If the availability is there for your dates, you can grab it again and rebook but if there is no availability you risk whatever days you release being grabbed by the waitlist.

You can modify a reservation by adding/deleting a day at the beginning or the end, but as far as splitting a reservation into 2, you can only do that if the availability still exists.

If not there is a chance of loss. It would be nice if they could just divide the reservation but I can see how it could create havoc with the booking windows
and would give large point owners an advantage over smaller point owners.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggatorgirl View Post
Or have different guests on the ressie. I did 'split' a ressie we had into 2 2-days because a 4th person would be there the last 2 days, not the first, and we were getting the DDP.
Yes, this is the reason I was thinking of.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
For a short while a few years ago they would split reservations and allow different dining plans for different parts of the stay. That ended pretty quickly as it seemed to create a huge mess. Since then it's virtually impossible to get a reservation split. You need to originally book it that way and there have been a few reports that if DVC notes the split they might combine it together.
Thanks! That's not one I knew about and I can see myself trying to make elaborate plans around something like this, only to have them dashed.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #15
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Thanks! That's not one I knew about and I can see myself trying to make elaborate plans around something like this, only to have them dashed.
It was a nightmare!

They gave away more free food during that trial due to all the glitches and hangups. I know the hours at the front desk and in the restaurants when I tried it were not worth it at all.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
cvjw
Grand Villa

It is my understanding that to split an existing reservation into 2 separate reservations is not a modification, but a cancel and rebook. This means that part of your second reservation can be lost before member services can rebook it. It could be picked up by a waitlist or booked by another member.

You can book your original reservation in 2 separate reservations, but there is an excellent chance that member services will merge the two without contacting you.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

i was fortunate enough to do this once or twice a few years back when there was no availability, had to get a supervisor and also had to be different people on the two parts. now, i just assume that i'll lose any "unused" nights in a reservation, too risky to count on being able to split.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #18
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

DVC customer service has become more inflexible on this request Barb. I've had the most success with this request through e-mail.

ETA: I had several rentals in the last 6 months where I needed to do this. And when I emailed DVC customer service they were able to fulfill my request. it did take several days to be completed.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 08-16-2017 at 07:30 PM.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #19
hlawton
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthut View Post
Member service says they can not split a ressie with losing one part of it. Has anyone ever had DVC successfully split a ressie with out losing a portion of it?

Thanks for looking
I tried to do this same thing last year when I had two potential renters. One renter wanted the first 3 nights of a reservation and the other renter wanted the last 4 nights. Member services told me it could not be done even after checking with a supervisor. I was forced to drop off nights. It was for a December reservation at the Poly and I figured the dates would go to someone else's wait list, but fortunately I was able to pick them back up later that evening. Luckily, I was able to rent out all the nights after all.
hlawton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
If not there is a chance of loss. It would be nice if they could just divide the reservation but I can see how it could create havoc with the booking windows
and would give large point owners an advantage over smaller point owners.
It took me a few minutes to see your reasoning here, but I think I see your point. I don't believe that this would necessarily be a source of widespread "abuse". Members who own larger amounts of points purchased those points to make reservations, after all.

In my case, We have reservation next year at VGF during a school vacation. We have invited different friends/family to stay and because two of the guests will change during the week, it makes things difficult to plan. I made two separate ressies at the 11 month mark, but they were automatically merged last week.