home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Lsutiger25
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Paying dues with gift cards?

I hope this is the right place to ask...

I see a lot of conflicting information about this so I figured I would just come here and ask the experts.....

Can I buy discounted gift cards from say Sams and then combine them all onto 2-3 cards and use those 2 or 3 cards to pay for the annual dues?

Thank you so much!
Lsutiger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

I'll do you one better. Get the gift cards, put them in a Disney Vacation Account, get the $20 gift card for depositing $1,000, then pay your annual dues online. You enter your DVA number in place of a gift card number when you pay your dues.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Paying dues with Disney gift cards has been allowed for a long time so there shouldn't be any conflicting info about if it's alllowed or not. The only thing has been a change in the process in that they now limit the number you could provide in 1 call but that just happened since the new gift card website that allows a person to combine many small ones into cards up to $1,000. Prior to that you had to fax in if your dues required many cards although 3 or so years ago you could still call in with the numbers.

As mentioned people have used the DVA but do be aware that paying the dues with it is written as not being allowed and no certainty that it would be a valid option going forward. If it weren't allowed you could always request a refund from it although it apparently can take some time for Disney to give back that money.

Both of these options are when you pay in lump sums. Ongoing monthly payments have to be set up to withdraw from a bank account.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
D&MourDVC
Studio

I pay my maintenance fees every year with gift cards. It use to be you had to call in to pay but now you can do it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
I'll do you one better. Get the gift cards, put them in a Disney Vacation Account, get the $20 gift card for depositing $1,000, then pay your annual dues online. You enter your DVA number in place of a gift card number when you pay your dues.
Good idea! Thanks for the tip.
D&MourDVC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
vwlmom
Studio

I've been able to make monthly payments online using gift cards since the end of last year. I click on pay balance but then it lets me pick how much to pay on each contract. If your account is already set up as autopay, you can make the monthly payments with gift cards or Disney rewards redemption card. It then updates you next payment due date.
vwlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlmom View Post
I've been able to make monthly payments online using gift cards since the end of last year. I click on pay balance but then it lets me pick how much to pay on each contract. If your account is already set up as autopay, you can make the monthly payments with gift cards or Disney rewards redemption card. It then updates you next payment due date.
Yes, you can make payments anytime but you do need to have it set up to a bank account for the primary.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

The one (recent) change I really like is that you can pay ahead at any time (using gift cards) even if you aren't on the monthly plan.

I buy discounted Disney GCs every month but instead of leaving them sitting around the house I go ahead and apply them to my account immediately. It doesn't even matter which contract you apply them to; when MFs are formally billed the money all goes into the same pool (for those who have multiple contracts in different UY's).

I should probably do the Disney savings account trick, haven't gotten around to that one yet.

My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
taccol
Two Bedroom

Quote:
WOW!!!! I learn something new EVERYDAY on these forums!!! NICE!!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlmom View Post

This functionality is such a nice little pick-up!

I've paid dues via GC (and, following the creation of DVA via GC's run through the DVA) for many years now. Doing so, used to mean that I couldn't take advantage (at least without making lots of phone calls) of the monthly installment offering available to those paying via direct link to their checking account. The new online functionality has reversed that situation.

So, now, rather than building up a GC reserve to make a lump-sum payment of my dues each February, I can fund it in a real time basis. GC's to DVA to DVC contribution in just a few clicks . . . . and, presto, 22% "off."
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
beckythetechy
One Bedroom

Quote:
I'm not sure if something has changed or not but according to the DVA rules you can't pay for your dues with the DVA.... it may allow you to, but its against the terms and conditions:

https://disneyvacationaccount.disney...disneygiftcard

Quote:
Can I apply my Disney Vacation Account toward the Annual Dues for my Disney Vacation Club Membership?

No, your Annual Dues cannot be paid using your Disney Vacation Account.

ME DH DS(7) DD(4) DD(2)
Visits to the World: JUL 1987 First visit! JUL 1998 (POR) JAN 2005 (POR) SEP 2015 (BWV)
"I'm 99.9% sure I'm a Disney Princess...that .1% of uncertainty is because birds don't talk to me...yet!"
beckythetechy is offline   Reply With Quote