home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #31
BayMom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Here is the list of fees PER DAY that you are charged to use one of the rental companies toll transponders:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Thanks for posting. My husband did not have change on a trip he took, so we are expecting a charge from our rental car company. The bill still did not arrive, and we did not know how much it would be. $20 plus the cost of tolls is a tremendous relief.

I'm thinking I should order a sunpass for our August trip. This was the 1st time he encountered a toll booth with no attendant lanes. I almost thought he was fibbing about that detail until I saw someone else post it on this thread.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #32
TexasChick
Grand Villa

FWIW, you also get 3x points on the Chase Sapphire Reserve for tolls and 2x points for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'll take an extra 3% back in addition to the 5-10% off the posted toll prices just for charging it to my credit card and having a Sunpass transponder.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 AM   #33
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcfan937 View Post
I have an sunpass transponder that I take with me when traveling to Florida. I can use it on my rental car as well.
That's what we have. We use it for Disney and visiting family in the FLL area where we fly into MIA and drive up.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #34
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac0712 View Post
We rent quite a bit at MCO, and the car rental transponders are in a protected box on the dash. Simply leave it closed not to use it and get charged. We bring our own sunpass. The only time this could be an issue is if your transponder doesn't read for some reason and then the toll agency bills from the license plate which would be registered to the rental agency pass, but in 50+ trips we've never had this happen.
The cars we've had in FL (both MCO and MIA) have had very visible switches on the box that holds the transponder to simply turn it off and use ours. Hasn't failed yet.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #35
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofduck View Post
With Alamo (and companies that use "toll by plate"), the only reason for registering the rental car would be if the transponder fails for some reason.
The truth is that the transponders fail to register with some degree of frequency. I commute across a toll bridge daily, and I'd say it fails to register about 5% of the time. Setting up the rental car in the SunPass app is pretty painless insurance to make sure you don't have to deal with the rental car company afterwards if that does happen. The app even allows you to specify the rental car return time so you don't have to go in and remove the car afterwards.