home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #21
PartPixie
One Bedroom

I agree that the transferable Sunpass is the best option if there is any chance you might change or rent cars. I do want to point out that you should be careful if you rent a car. On our last trip we rented from Alamo and didn't even notice there was an installed toll reader. SO... we ended up double paying. You can bet there was a discussion w/ Alamo!
PartPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #22
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
Thanks for the link. Last time we rented from Alamo and there was no mention of the tolls or transponders. Did not realize that opt-in is automatic based on which toll lane one uses. On a side note, a couple of times we took an off ramp to get gas or go to a local store and were surprised to see the tolls at the end of the ramp. Digging for coins is such a hassle! Do they accept dollar bills? What do you do when you don't have the coins?
Many are cashless toll plaza. Last I encountered will take bills if they are full service.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #23
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
Thanks for the link. Last time we rented from Alamo and there was no mention of the tolls or transponders. Did not realize that opt-in is automatic based on which toll lane one uses. On a side note, a couple of times we took an off ramp to get gas or go to a local store and were surprised to see the tolls at the end of the ramp. Digging for coins is such a hassle! Do they accept dollar bills? What do you do when you don't have the coins?
You drive through the sunpass lane and they will take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill in the mail.

When my transponder did not work, they have sent me a bill. However, I just call them and they move the fees from my account.
https://www.tollbyplate.com/index

For rentals, it was defined by the rental company and described in the link TexasChick provided.
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #24
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Also, if you have a transponder, you need to register the rental car every time you use the transponder in it. Otherwise, you will get charged by the rental car company since you are automatically opted in to their toll charging system. If you have registered the rental car to the transponder, supposedly the transponder trumps the rental companies' PlatePass systems and just charges your Sunpass account. I would be very careful to always check my rental car bills though.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #25
dvcfan937
Studio

TexasChick;1439574]Also, if you have a transponder, you need to register the rental car every time you use the transponder in it. Otherwise, you will get charged by the rental car company since you are automatically opted in to their toll charging system. If you have registered the rental car to the transponder, supposedly the transponder trumps the rental companies' PlatePass systems and just charges your Sunpass account. I would be very careful to always check my rental car bills though.[/quote]

dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Here is the list of fees PER DAY that you are charged to use one of the rental companies toll transponders:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Awesome list, thank you for posting this. Great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Checked my records for my last trip: 2 x $6.95 to Alamo for transponder and/or tolls, on top of rental charge. Since I don't have my own, I'm happy with that.
See, I am cheap and won't give the rental agencies a penny more than I have too And looking at the link from TexasChick, since we use Dollar, they are not getting another 10.49/day (or $52.49 max) from us. The movable transponder cost us $25 and we have used it multiple times, so it was well worth the cost.

Quote:
Also, if you have a transponder, you need to register the rental car every time you use the transponder in it. Otherwise, you will get charged by the rental car company since you are automatically opted in to their toll charging system. If you have registered the rental car to the transponder, supposedly the transponder trumps the rental companies' PlatePass systems and just charges your Sunpass account. I would be very careful to always check my rental car bills though.
Yes, this ^^^.
We always add the rental car to our SunPass account before leaving the parking garage. Takes all of a couple of minutes. DH loads the luggage and plugs in the address on WAZE etc while I update SunPass. So it's really not adding any time to our travels anyway

NOTC4
It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I have used transponder in rental car many times, never registered, never had any problem. Only time I can see this problem will be if for some reason transponder does not work.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #28
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I have used transponder in rental car many times, never registered, never had any problem. Only time I can see this problem will be if for some reason transponder does not work.
That makes sense because the system just picks up on a transponder in a car, registered or not. What I got from the Sunpass website and a thread on the other board is that while people haven't been registering their rental cars so far, they may start to assign all of the tolls to the rental cars' PlatePass instead of the transponder if the rental isn't registered. No idea if this has been happening as of late or is just a "possibility".
Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #29
houseofduck
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

With Alamo (and companies that use "toll by plate"), the only reason for registering the rental car would be if the transponder fails for some reason. If your transponder is in/on the car, the toll will be charged to your account. If your transponder fails, then the license plate is used. If you have the license plate registered to your account, the toll gets charged to your account. If the license plate is not registered, it goes to Alamo and then they charge you.

One warning about ordering the SunPass sticker online...I have ordered two stickers online. Both times, there were charges on my account from the vehicles that were used during the delivery. They were removed once I called customer service.
houseofduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #30
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofduck View Post
With Alamo (and companies that use "toll by plate"), the only reason for registering the rental car would be if the transponder fails for some reason. If your transponder is in/on the car, the toll will be charged to your account. If your transponder fails, then the license plate is used. If you have the license plate registered to your account, the toll gets charged to your account. If the license plate is not registered, it goes to Alamo and then they charge you.

One warning about ordering the SunPass sticker online...I have ordered two stickers online. Both times, there were charges on my account from the vehicles that were used during the delivery. They were removed once I called customer service.
That is actually pretty funny.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote