home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Small add ons do not qualify for any promotions
That's fine, just what was printed said minimum point add on and wanted to make sure small add on was doable. Thanks.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #12
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
That's a good idea. So are they just offering 10% off for cash? With last year's points included too 150 points would be 140-something per point, which is resale prices.
Correct, when you buy 150+ pts, net price can be very close to resale.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Correct, when you buy 150+ pts, net price can be very close to resale.
Good to know. I just wish the threshold for the discount was lower. That's really more points than we want, but immediate points (and 2017 points) would be really nice. Apparently, they've dropped the 100 point minimum, though so maybe the cash discount is negotiable too.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Good to know. I just wish the threshold for the discount was lower. That's really more points than we want, but immediate points (and 2017 points) would be really nice.
Honestly really small contracts are few and far between and cost a lot of money. It was only about $15-20/point difference doing resale for a total of $1000 savings before closing and such for 50 points. I made up that $1000 pretty easily, so if you are looking for small contracts it might not bet worth resale.

I did see one for $135 that was listed since May when I gave up (and my UY of course) but most I've seen are $150-160. I do wonder if that one contract was sold before it was listed though, because I'm still on lists and didn't even get notified of it. Smaller contracts are always more $$$ per point.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That's a good idea. So are they just offering 10% off for cash? With last year's points included too 150 points would be 140-something per point, which is resale prices.
It's not a discount for paying cash. It's a discounted price for larger purchases. The more points the larger the discount. Paying cash for a small contract means nothing. They'd much rather you finance with them I'd bet but they won't charge a premium if you decide to pay cash.

There really no negotiating on the discounts. The most is that they will offer you an option like between getting a discount off the price vs some other incentive they are doing.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Good to know. I just wish the threshold for the discount was lower. That's really more points than we want, but immediate points (and 2017 points) would be really nice. Apparently, they've dropped the 100 point minimum, though so maybe the cash discount is negotiable too.
Just think of it as your first contract and bout of addonitis at the same time.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #17
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
It's not a discount for paying cash. It's a discounted price for larger purchases. The more points the larger the discount. Paying cash for a small contract means nothing. They'd much rather you finance with them I'd bet but they won't charge a premium if you decide to pay cash.

There really no negotiating on the discounts. The most is that they will offer you an option like between getting a discount off the price vs some other incentive they are doing.
Gotcha. I actually finally talked to my guide (rather than spending even more time speculating on what might or might not happen) and that's what he indicated. He did say they could do full payment in 90 days without doing financing, which is nice.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #18
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Honestly really small contracts are few and far between and cost a lot of money. It was only about $15-20/point difference doing resale for a total of $1000 savings before closing and such for 50 points. I made up that $1000 pretty easily, so if you are looking for small contracts it might not bet worth resale.

I did see one for $135 that was listed since May when I gave up (and my UY of course) but most I've seen are $150-160. I do wonder if that one contract was sold before it was listed though, because I'm still on lists and didn't even get notified of it. Smaller contracts are always more $$$ per point.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing - $140s for 100+ point contracts and $150+ for anything under 100. We're looking for 75; I haven't seen many of those. Depending on the value of the "extra" points Disney includes, it's something like a $450-$850 more. And, as I know I've seen you say before, the closing costs appear to be lower too, which cuts into that difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Just think of it as your first contract and bout of addonitis at the same time.
I guess that's the alternative. For not that much more we could probably get a 100 point contract resale. More points might mean more trips or bigger trips. On the other hand, taking more or bigger trips has it's own costs or trying to rent some amount of excess points, which could be difficult. We'd likely miss out on points for the current use year, which would raise the cost of the trip we have planned for next year. Of course, we'd also have more points and I know how y'all feel about that around here.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #19
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing - $140s for 100+ point contracts and $150+ for anything under 100. We're looking for 75; I haven't seen many of those. Depending on the value of the "extra" points Disney includes, it's something like a $450-$850 more. And, as I know I've seen you say before, the closing costs appear to be lower too, which cuts into that difference.

I guess that's the alternative. For not that much more we could probably get a 100 point contract resale. More points might mean more trips or bigger trips. On the other hand, taking more or bigger trips has it's own costs or trying to rent some amount of excess points, which could be difficult. We'd likely miss out on points for the current use year, which would raise the cost of the trip we have planned for next year. Of course, we'd also have more points and I know how y'all feel about that around here.
The way I looked at buying more points was that I could rent whatever I don't use and have that cover some MF's. I also knew that I was likely kidding myself and I'd just use more points. But technically if you get a bigger contract you could rent a chunk of those points, especially when you start with a full year in the bank. Or you do that for a couple years and if you really didn't want half of the points, you could sell one of the (80 point?) contracts.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #20
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I'll be honest, I don't think we'll be seeing the smaller contracts for a while. Those who bought those were likely getting either for full membership or an owner who really has a desire to see them. It only went for sale about 2.5 years ago and people are just not selling in the small amounts. Those who bought direct and maybe didn't realize what they were getting into probably bought more points. It's not a huge resort either really total point wise which also likely doesn't help.

Part of why we didn't go for more points was because I don't want more points. I am not the type to rent out because if I have the points, I will use the points for us. I pay for these myself with cash and I'm not willing to use more of my cash to buy something as a business venture. Just not my thing really. So that's why we didn't want more.

So yes you can rent out but you have to decide if that's what you want to do. Not everyone wants that. It's a valid idea though.