home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #41
kanda6421
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Unhappy

no contract was made.
Also, I can pay him today. I'm just trying to make sure it isn't a scammer first!
#1 he has a new account
#2 when asked about renting in the past. He said his previous MO account was deleted bc it was made with a hotmail account.
#3 he didn't give me any references even after I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCP View Post
When I first bought into DVC I had tons of banked points on my purchase so I immediately went to rent out a few. So although it is more prudent to have someone with lots of activity on the board, it doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to scam you. However, they should be willing to provide substantial proof that they are legit. With new users, even with my renters, I call them on the phone to discuss their options. I can get a good feel as to whether they're legit or not. Those not willing to talk with me tend to quickly disappear into the night. It sounds like the reservation is already made as you indicated it's linked to your MDE account. Thus, it would make sense that they are now demanding payment, but what was agreed in writing in your contract you signed? ...you did sign a contract didn't you? ...all part of due diligence!
kanda6421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #42
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanda6421 View Post
no contract was made.
Also, I can pay him today. I'm just trying to make sure it isn't a scammer first!
#1 he has a new account
#2 when asked about renting in the past. He said his previous MO account was deleted bc it was made with a hotmail account.
So, no contract + no references + new account = too many risks for me. But that's just my personal comfort level. If this person can make the reservation for you, so can an experienced renter with the proper credentials. Is saving a few dollars per point worth the potential risk? It wouldn't be for me. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #43
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanda6421 View Post
no contract was made.
#1 he has a new account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
So, no contract + no references + new account = too many risks for me. But that's just my personal comfort level. If this person can make the reservation for you, so can an experienced renter with the proper credentials. Is saving a few dollars per point worth the potential risk? It wouldn't be for me. Good luck!
I agree about proceeding with caution. However, speaking from experience, I also have rented with people who had never rented before and really didn't know how to go about the process.

My advice would be:

1) ask him/her for the name the deed is under, the resort he/she owns at and how many points they own
2) check the with the proper registrar to validate the contract, and that the payment is actually being made to the same person on the deed
3) I personally would not do the rental without an Agreement/Contract. It's just a step that I happen to feel a potential scammer wouldn't want to go through.
4) I thought you had said that this person had rented before. If they have, get references. If they have not, ask them for other ways to validate them. Do they have an eBay account? Have your checked Facebook or Social Media to find them? These are things I did with my owner that had never rented, and my rental went very smoothly.
5) I hope you are paying a cut rate to this person for the risk. I only paid the owner I worked with $9.00pp since he had no experience & no referrals. If you aren't paying a steeply discounted rate for your rental I'd move on to a more "solid" owner

Those are my two cents on your rental. Good luck.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #44
TLCP

If he refused to give references, then I'd move on. As others have stated, there are many ways to give references with the internet.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #45
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

But you do have a reservation linked to your account. The reservation exists. I would get his phone number and actual name and address. Then I will call and talk to the owner. An actual conversation can build trust . Find out the use Year, ask how man points they are renting and ask if they have any intention of selling the contract. Ask if they are holding points . The questions are mainly to see if the owner can answer them. He may be brokering someone else’s points informally. But since the reservation is made it may legit. But after talking to him you will have a better feel to know if he will cancel your reservation after you pay. All you need him to do now is keep the reservation in your name to the vacation is taken.

Trust on both sides is essential in renting.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #46
kmm227

I agree with the above. I am new to this process as well and I had 3 people contact me and all were willing to give me references and there name so I could look them up.
kmm227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #47
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
But you do have a reservation linked to your account. The reservation exists. I would get his phone number and actual name and address. Then I will call and talk to the owner. An actual conversation can build trust . Find out the use Year, ask how man points they are renting and ask if they have any intention of selling the contract. Ask if they are holding points . The questions are mainly to see if the owner can answer them. He may be brokering someone else’s points informally. But since the reservation is made it may legit. But after talking to him you will have a better feel to know if he will cancel your reservation after you pay. All you need him to do now is keep the reservation in your name to the vacation is taken.

Trust on both sides is essential in renting.
Good advice too. Speaking with them by phone is always a step that should not be skipped.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #48
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I have rented from MO's in the past with no rental past. I always cross check their names on the orange county comptrollers site to make sure they own points. I also transfer in points every year (we stay longer and I invite family/friends) and again, I cross check with the orange county comptrollers site.
A phone call to him/her might also be helpful:-)
Old 03-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #49
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I agree about proceeding with caution. However, speaking from experience, I also have rented with people who had never rented before and really didn't know how to go about the process.

My advice would be:

1) ask him/her for the name the deed is under, the resort he/she owns at and how many points they own
2) check the with the proper registrar to validate the contract, and that the payment is actually being made to the same person on the deed
3) I personally would not do the rental without an Agreement/Contract. It's just a step that I happen to feel a potential scammer wouldn't want to go through.
4) I thought you had said that this person had rented before. If they have, get references. If they have not, ask them for other ways to validate them. Do they have an eBay account? Have your checked Facebook or Social Media to find them? These are things I did with my owner that had never rented, and my rental went very smoothly.
5) I hope you are paying a cut rate to this person for the risk. I only paid the owner I worked with $9.00pp since he had no experience & no referrals. If you aren't paying a steeply discounted rate for your rental I'd move on to a more "solid" owner

Those are my two cents on your rental. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #50
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

You have the confirmed reservation - that is a plus.

I agree with a phone call, references and checking the deed.

I would insist on a contract or something in writing, however. And, I would immediately verify the individual presented in the contract.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote