home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
jnrrt
Grand Villa

Default Spring Break - how bad is it really????

Hi, all,

We are longtime DVC owners and WDW fans. We haven't been as much lately because we have changed our family significantly in the last couple of years and have needed the money/travel time to complete several adoptions.

That said, one of our new kiddos has a heart condition that makes it really hard for him to be in the heat. We took the fam to Disney at the beginning of the summer a year and a half ago and he really had a tough time - had we known how it would be, we would not have gone then. The cast members were fabulous trying to help us stay in AC and shade and we had cooling cloths and fans and misters, etc, but there's only so much you can do in FL heat. But all our kiddos are school age, and it's hard to go in the winter and miss school.

So, that said, who's been at spring break, specifically Easter week? How bad is it, really? And is the weather that much cooler? If not, there's not much point. We don't need cold, but we do need "not sweltering."

One helpful factor, though, is that he does qualify for the disability pass because of his condition, so that helps some with the lines during crazy busy times.

Advice? I just rented our points out again for the year which made me sad, and I'd love to find a solution - all the kids loved it as an experience and want to go back, but we can't make him go through that again.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy, "Ode"
jnrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

I have been over spring break many times. Afternoon can get hot some times. I don't do good either on these very hot weather. What I have done to come back during lunch time and go back in late afternoon.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I would recommend December or January. Like if you can take them out of school the last couple days before Xmas break and go like Dec 18-24ish. And if they get a winter break in January (min did at the end of Jan). Or MLK weekend. But Easter week is crazy crowded. As is Dec 24th through New Year's and then marathon weekend. Thanksgiving week might be kinda nice too. Probably crowded but maybe not AS bad as Easter week. And it will be cool. I hope you can find a week that works and have a great trip!

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
Grandma Minnie
One Bedroom

We go every year during our kid's, and now grandkid's, spring break (typically third week in April). The temperature is usually 85-90 degrees and a bit humid. I don't do well in heat once it hits 90, so on those days I hang back at the resort pool in the shade. We have also done trips mid-late October (perfect weather!), early December (variable, wide range of temps), and early March (chilly mornings and evenings). Another good time is just before Thanksgiving. The kids would only miss 3 days of school. The weather is cooler and the crowds are moderate.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
TeacherGrandma
Studio

I always had to visit during school vacations, because I was a teacher. In Massachusetts we always had the week off with the third Monday (Patriots Day), which was also sometimes Easter vacation week.

The weather at that time is stunningly beautiful, with low humidity and little rain. Absolutely perfect weather! It was always crowded, but manageable with a solid plan. (I havenít ever visited during Christmas week, but I donít believe it is anywhere near as bad as that timeframe.)

Easter vacation is a great time to go, since youíre trying to avoid that suffocating heat and humidity.
TeacherGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
MOTed
One Bedroom

The first half of December and any time in January are perfect for me, but I realize thatís problematic for your school-aged kids. If you decide to take the kids out of school and go then, be aware that it can get quite cold in Florida in December/January. We were there in January 2010 and temps were in the 20s every night and 40s every day! On the other hand, we were there the first week of December 2019, and the weather was picture-postcard perfect - in the 60s every day, bright and clear blue skies, and no humidity. Perfect!
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Easter flips around on dates so much. Some years it is better than others. The ones where it is late March/early April I think are busier because it coincides with more SBs that are more stationary.

March is more iffy with weather but more likely for not sweltering. April is more consistent but a bigger chance for higher temps. Not sure when you go in the summer, but the sweltering can come as early as May but it's usually not unbearable. Even the heat wave we had last late May/early June wasn't as bad as later June trips we've done.

Not sure if you get fall or winter breaks either. Those could be good times.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
fuzzylogic
Two Bedroom

Aw, that's sad that you had to rent your points if you wanted to go. Sounds like you're in a tough spot. If you can't do the heat or the crowds, I would not shoot for Spring Break. It's going to be pretty hot and really crowded. Not as hot as a month later, but more crowded than ever. What if you get your fix in shorter stretches? Maybe go for 4-day weekends in the winter... You'll enjoy lighter crowds and cooler temps. Missing 2 days of school might be more tolerable than missing 5. It's a different trip in the summer vs winter. Summer you're hot and wet the whole time. Winter you're cool, dry, and bringing sweatshirts everywhere.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #9
jnrrt
Grand Villa

Thanks, you all! This is good advice. We used to take our older kids out of school for short times often when they were little to go in January because the crowds were so low, but that's harder now that they are older and we're dealing with some in finals, etc.

I'm not as worried about the crowds since the disability pass helps some with that - they let us wait somewhere air conditioned, etc, but we've never gone on the weeks people say to avoid like SB, Christmas, etc, BECAUSE we've always heard the crowds were terrible. I'm a good planner, but that just gets old. It's really the heat I'm concerned about, but I also don't want to set us up just to feel claustrophobic the whole time.

We don't have any big breaks in our school district, but maybe we could consider the weekend before Thanksgiving, hadn't thought of that one, and it sounds like SB is still a possibility?? I'll have to think on it. Or a year when Christmas falls into our winter break better - this year it wouldn't work, but another might.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy, "Ode"
jnrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:08 AM   #10
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

If someone is truly affected by the heat Iím going to have to go against some of what youíre hearing here. To me, as soon as it approaches 80 Iím done with outside time and seeking air conditioning.

Unfortunately the only time the Florida weather is cool enough for me to be out and about all day is December / January, and even thatís questionable. This year was nice, but other years it has been in the 80s. March trips have varied, but almost always get too hot for me to be outdoors during the heat of the afternoon.

I think your best option is to adjust your park days accordinly. Mornings and evenings are typically bearable the majority of the year, and sometimes even downright pleasant. The period from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (adjust as you wish) should be spent indoors (or at the pool if that is an acceptable alternative).
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote