home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Micah008
Grand Villa

Default Split Stay FAQ

Here are some common questions and answers about Split Stays, based on my own experiences and reports from others in the forums. These apply to both DVC stays, and while staying at other Disney World resorts.

How do I transfer my luggage and food?
The easiest way to transfer your belongings is to call Bell Services from your room when you are packed and ready to leave. They will come and get all of your luggage, food you have (including cold food), and even your Owners Locker, and transfer it to your second resort for you. Don't forget to tip. Note that this typically takes 5-20 minutes depending on the resort and how busy they are. But, if they are very busy it has been reported to take 60+ minutes. You can call the night before to schedule your pickup time to make sure you get the pickup time you want.
At your second resort you can simply call them again from your new room and they will bring everything up once it arrives. Alternatively you can also drop off or pick up everything off at Bell Services yourself, but it is simpler just to call them from your room, unless they happen to have a very long wait.
Also note that it will take a few hours (typically until late in the afternoon) for your bags to arrive at the second resort. It works great to go enjoy a park for the day, and then show up at your second resort later in the day, just make sure you have everything with you that you will need during the day in case it arrives later than you expected (like sunscreen and swimsuits if you plan to use the pool at the second resort while you wait).

Do I need to check out of the first resort?
It is recommended (though not mandatory) to go to or call the front desk to check out of the first resort, to make sure you don't have a surprise during check in at the second resort. This is especially recommended if you are checking into the second resort early in the day (before 11am), before the system would automatically check you out of the first resort. Your MBs will only work on one room at a time, so in order to check in to the second resort they will have to first check out of the first.

Can I get the Disney Dining Plan for one part of the stay and not the other?
Yes, since they are separate reservations you can get the DDP for just one part of the split stay. If you get DDP for the first resort stay you will be able to use the credits until midnight of the check out day from that resort, even after you have checked into the second resort.
The refillable mug you get with the DDP is considered a length of stay (which is up to 14 days, and can be extended with receipt) and will be valid for the entire second stay, well beyond check out from the first resort.
Keep in mind that you must qualify for the DDP, either by booking a package, staying at a DVC resort, or having APs. This can potentially complicate a Split Stay if you are forced to buy tickets as part of the package.

How will it work if I purchased the Disney Dining Plan for both stays?
If you purchased the DDP for the second stay you are unable to use dining credits for it until after all dining and snack credits for the first stay have been used (or expired) by at least 2 hours to give the system time to load the new credits. If you have even one snack credit remaining on the first stay you will not be able to use any of the dining credits from the second.
You can also get new mugs at the second resort, but this is only really necessary as a souvenir since the first ones will continue working.

I received a different set of Magic Bands for each resort, do I need to keep track of them individually?
Assuming all MBs are connected to your My Disney Experience account, they can be used interchangeably for park tickets, memory maker, charging to the room, FP+ (and anything else linked through the MDE account), and it is not necessary to keep track of which MBs were originally for which resort stay. It is recommended to make sure at check-in that the MBs are properly linked to your room as they "key" which is still a common issue. Some people still recommend just using the MBs that came for that resort, but others (myself included) have not had any issues, it should not be necessary if things are setup properly at check-in.

Can I set up FastPass+ at 60 days for the entire split stay?
Yes, as long as the two stays are consecutive (without a gap in between them) you will be able to setup your FP+ reservations for both stays when you reach the 60 day mark for the first stay (up to a limit of how many individual days of tickets you have). The only exception to this is if the only tickets you have are attached to the second stay as part of a package, meaning they will only activate as part of that stay, and not be eligible for FP+ on the first stay.

Can I make Dining Reservations at 180 days for the entire split stay?
Maybe. The online ADR system will not properly recognize the second stay when you reach the 180 mark for the first stay, only allowing you to book ADRs for the length of the first stay. If you call to make ADRs over the phone they usually are not able to book them for the second stay, but will sometimes make an exception. When calling, most CMs say this isn't even possible, but some people have had success. DVC members can also try calling Member Services, who have the ability to do this too, and seem more likely to make an exception for you. You may have to call back and/or wait until the 180 day mark for the second stay.

How do I use Disney's Magical Express with a split stay?
It is still possible to use DME for a split stay. It is recommended to call and make sure they put your arrival flight on your first stay, and then put your departure flight on your second stay. This is also possible to do online, by creating 2 separate DME reservations.

If I charge something to my MagicBand on the day I am transferring resorts, which room will it get charged to?
The charge will show up on your first resort (and then billed to a credit card), until the point when you actually check in to the second resort. The charges will not carry over, and you will not be able to bill anything to your second resort until after you check in there. If you are doing Direct-To-Room online check in, it is hard to know the exact time they consider you checked in, but you will get a notification when the room is ready.
It is recommended to have a different form of payment during the transfer day just in case you run into issues.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Last edited by Micah008; 03-12-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: reworded section about luggage transfer
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Micah008
Grand Villa

If anyone has any other tips, tricks, corrections, or other information about Split Stays... please post them here and I will update the first post. Thanks.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Old 10-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Well done! Here's hoping people utilize the information posted above before posting the same questions.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Well done! Here's hoping people utilize the information posted above before posting the same questions.
Thanks. That was my goal, and if nothing else we can link to it when they do.

MousePerks

Old 10-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Great summary. Even tho we do a lot of split stays, it seems I still have questions!! Thanks!
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
jflatto
Grand Villa

Love this. I wonder if one of the admins can sticky this.

Thanks for doing this. You might add a note to the effect that when you switch resorts, you may want to make sure you take with you whatever you need for the day as you will be homeless and depending on when your items are moved from one resort to another, you may not have access to your luggage.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Default Room charge

if you checked out from first and did not check in to second your MB would not work for charging privilege, you have to check in first to keep the charging privilege. If you charge early morning like breakfast, that will stay with first resort and your cc will get charge for that later on or at check out.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Default Magic Band

If you have lots of MB, use the MB that was sent for that perticular reservation to avoid room key mix up. Resort software does not recognizes lots of MBs if you have because of multiple trips. Use the MB associated with the reservation.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
oufpat
Two Bedroom

With my first split-stay booked, I really appreciate this information. And I have saved this info so that I will not ask any "stupid questions".
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
mmisaacson
Studio

Great information! We just booked a split stay for March.
mmisaacson is offline   Reply With Quote