home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
ccsmith312
Two Bedroom

Default Availability Stinks (and also we need more points)

I have been watching the availability of studio rooms during the month of May 2020. I thought we would be ok to book outside our home resort at seven months, however it seems like all of the studios that sleep five people are not available exactly seven months from today, which makes me think getting my ressie later in the month may be harder than I thought.

I guess I'm just pouting that I can't get what I want at the seven month window anymore. It seems like it used to be easier. I feel like we either need to add on more points at another home resort ($$$), or sell our current contract and go forward booking cash reservations with our AP discount (tempting when I think about all the hassle of DVC booking).

Old 10-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Yeah, lots of discussion here about 7 months getting tougher, although some are still having luck. We've never had a problem getting just what we want at BCV and BWV at 11 months, but would not want to try at 7.

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

And I thought May was one of the slower months. Jeez.....
Old 10-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
capeokw56
Grand Villa

BWV garden/pool view has lots of studio availability starting tomorrow through the end of May.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
BWV garden/pool view has lots of studio availability starting tomorrow through the end of May.
Yeah, but a very bad use of points. The same number of points as a Boardwalk view with, IMO, a view not much better than standard (except for dumpster view, of course ).

But availability is availability.

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith312 View Post
I have been watching the availability of studio rooms during the month of May 2020. I thought we would be ok to book outside our home resort at seven months, however it seems like all of the studios that sleep five people are not available exactly seven months from today, which makes me think getting my ressie later in the month may be harder than I thought.

I guess I'm just pouting that I can't get what I want at the seven month window anymore. It seems like it used to be easier. I feel like we either need to add on more points at another home resort ($$$), or sell our current contract and go forward booking cash reservations with our AP discount (tempting when I think about all the hassle of DVC booking).

It has been a discussed for a while now that it is getting very hard to book/switch at the 7 month window frame

Did you have something booked already and was just looking to switch?

Last edited by AnnaS; 10-06-2019 at 04:30 PM.
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Think you may be looking at May 4th right now? If so, Iím sure that will be crazy busy with all of the Star Wars fans and the newer ride open by then. Especially if your looking to stay right near/on the boardwalk resorts.

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

The studio only issue is real. Honestly it's the biggest issue I see with DVC repeatedly.

I think anyone who wants a studio stay needs to book inside their own window if they want a chance.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
The studio only issue is real. Honestly it's the biggest issue I see with DVC repeatedly.

I think anyone who wants a studio stay needs to book inside their own window if they want a chance.
I think one factor here in the "studio issue" might be the fact that a lot of folks that hjave bought DVC in the past are now (ahemmmmmm ) "older", and empty nesters or retired. For those folks, a studio is just fine space-wise.

I know that fits my wife and I for sure. Why spend points on space or features we wouldn't really use much or at all.

So as the percentage of the total DVC pool that shifts to couples/DINKS or whatever......... maybe the ratio of the "fits-2-people-perfectly" studio pool becomes "smaller" relative to the total market availability.

best,

...............john
Old 10-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
bakerworld
Grand Villa

11 months ago I booked the days I had points. I figured I'd add WLs on either end and 7 months out I had a good chance of getting the vacation I wanted. I added the 2 WLs and received the 1st around 6 months out. As the time commenced, and sporadically checking to see no availability, I figured the last day wasn't going to happen. Today I received a BD present in the form of an email welcoming us to our November vacation showing the last day had come thru. Hopped on SW and changed flights successfully - actually less in $$. Fixed the ME. So ccsmith312 don't give up.