home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Love Kidani Village at AK!!!

We stay there often, 2-3 times a year it seems.

This past trip, we booked a 1-bedroom standard view to save on points. It was the first time not staying savanna or club level. Some of the standard view rooms have good views, we got to overlook the front portico......blah.

I really missed my savanna view and and won't be doing that again.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Jambo Pro’s
Cooler lobby, more “atmosphere”
Closer to restaurants, including quick serve
Shorter hallways
Comfy beds (hubby made me include that)
Bigger/Better store, if that matters.

Quote:
Kidani Pro’s
Lower floors, so closer to animals
2 bathrooms in 1BR unit
Parking beneath resort
DVC centric....with "like" people
better pools (not bigger)
Sanna
First bus stop
Bigger rooms
Old 10-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
Both pool areas are nice, but Kadani in my opinion is more kid friendly.

The Kidani Pool complex is mine and our grandsons favorite DVC pool area. Lots of shade, cool music in background, great slide, pool bar (for me) and smores (for the kids)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackowski View Post
Interested in this thread too. If Jambo, but in a studio, any suggestions on room locations/requests? I'm hoping we can get a peek of the sav view.
I love Jambo, and always stay in a standard view studio there. If you ask for the Uzima Savannah location, you'll be on the side of easy access to food and pool, and lots of times some type of animal views. It's a farther walk but worth it.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
tzb
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

we prefer jambo house for the atmosphere overall. also, we have always done standard view studio and then requested prior to check in for a "partial savannah view". we have always gotten this and have always had great views of animals from our balcony (including giraffes and zebras) on a daily basis. it is also typically a closer view and you get a better variety of animals in my opinion. don't get me wrong, the full savannah view is awesome, but we have found for the points/price difference, it is way more worth it to do this way for us. if there is something about doing it this way that some might consider a "negative," it is that it usually means you will be at the far end of a hallway. however, for us that is a worthwhile trade.
tzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #16
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

This response is opinion so no wrong or right answers if I disagree with other comments.

We just left a Kidani SV Studio last Friday.

First, I really like Kidani (and Jambo). The Decor just agrees with my tastes.

As far as SV vs Std., I would probably opt for Std if I had a choice. Why you ask. We are not room people. When we get back in the evening, it is generally dark so no animals to see. I can sit on balcony in the morning before others are up but there is not a ton of activity on the savannah. So, I would save the points/$$ and get a Std. and walk down towards lobby area and sit there and watch the savannah if I wanted an early morning view.

Kidani has LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG Hallways. We were in last studio furthest from lobby last week. It is a trek. Not a game changer but a consideration if considering Kidani.

I love that Sanaa is onsite for Kidani and they now have QS breakfast there. But for other meals only QS is pool and it is limited. Mara is at Jambo.

I think Kidani pool is better than Jambo. Personal opinion. More relaxed, better slide, better splash area.

Jambo lobby is THE BOMB. Kidani is nice to look at but not really a hang out place like Jambo lobby. Love Victoria Falls Bar at Jambo.

So, I would choose Std. For the choice you have to pick for your family preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiapgh23e View Post
So Im almost at my 11 month mark for 2020 and Im trying to figure put where I want to stay. DW and kids (7&10) like AK so Im looking at the 1br. So my question are:

1. Standard vs Savanna view, which do you recommend? ($450 difference in price).

2. Jambo vs Kidani? Gonna hit the pool and MNSSHP the 1st day, so consider pool too.

I will have a vehicle since were doing a US split and will drive to parks.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #17
bakerworld
Grand Villa

We love the AK-J Value pool view. The last time we stayed at AK-J our value room was there Savannah view. FYI, apparently check-in for value rooms are 5pm.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Bigger/Better store, if that matters.

DVC centric....with "like" people

One time when I was at Jambo, a couple who obviously didn't know I was DVC, were telling me all about how awful it was that they let "those DVCers" into Jambo.
That said, I've stayed at both, and MUCH prefer Jambo!
Simba's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I always get sav view but if you're talking real money and you don't normally do a lot of resort time them the really good views are from the lobby or basement anyway.

1 or 2br lean toward kidani but for studio it's a coin flip. I like both locations for diff reasons. However with a car I'd definitely look at kidani because parking is underground (read: not in sun) and you can park near your room should you be out in the boonies. I'm curious why you put the difference in terms of money instead of points though. Would you be renting?
Yes, I will be renting.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiapgh23e View Post
Yes, I will be renting.
Ok, that makes sense. I'd definitely lean towards Kidani being that you're driving some and you get the extra bathroom. The only downside to that I see is that the quick service is at Jambo if you plan to eat at the resort often. If you don't feel like you spend a lot of time hanging out at the room and especially on the balcony then I'd go for the standard view. There are fewer of those and the best views at Kidani are down near Sanaa anyway where there are more bait stations. I want to try standard but haven't convinced my wife to try it yet. The last time we stayed at AKV though we were at parks or the pool the whole time and didn't even go out on the balcony.

If you like to hang around the room a decent amount then it's really nice to spend some time out relaxing on the savannah and that's the move.

Good luck!
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote