home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Default Aulani refurbishment - anyone been recently?

I just picked up a night at Aulani for our Waikiki trip in February.

I understand there is a lot of refurbishments going on right now. Hopefully it will be completed by February. If anyone has been frequently can you advise how what is being done and how it impacted the resort?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

The only thing I can find is that the pool and whirlpool spa are under refurbishment until mid December.

https://www.disneyaulani.com/pool-refurbishment/
Old 10-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Sephorin
Grand Villa

The pool (and by pool I mean the swimming complex) is being refurbished, but it should be done by the time you get there.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
The pool (and by pool I mean the swimming complex) is being refurbished, but it should be done by the time you get there.
We have been there in the past when the new pool and spa was being built but at least the main pool, slides and lazy river were working. That would really suck to be there if they entire pool complex was out of order.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Just back this week. The lazy river was closed since August, but reopened on Wednesday. The Menehune Bridge is still closed with a current expected opening in early November.

On Wednesday, the main pool, the rainbow reef and adult hot tub closed with an expected opening date in mid-December.

The adult pool (now all ages) and grotto pool and toddler splash zone are all open.
SuzanneSLO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Just back this week. The lazy river was closed since August, but reopened on Wednesday. The Menehune Bridge is still closed with a current expected opening in early November.

On Wednesday, the main pool, the rainbow reef and adult hot tub closed with an expected opening date in mid-December.

The adult pool (now all ages) and grotto pool and toddler splash zone are all open.
Are any walkways closed? Any obstruction to AMA AMA or any of the other restaurants?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Are any walkways closed? Any obstruction to AMA AMA or any of the other restaurants?
Not sure exactly what walkways are now closed (we left Tuesday), but some are certainly closed.

There is no access to The Lava Shack (moved to area near Makahiki), Mamas Snack Shop (food from there is temporarily available at Ulu Cafe) or the Shave Ice stand (supposed to be available at the bar near the adult pool). Ama Ama and Off the Hook are only open for dinner. Makahiki is open for table service lunch (menu is apparently available at Aulani website).

I think that access to Auntys Beach House is only from the back (by walking on the path through the lawn where the luau is held) during the day and through the first floor of the Ewa wing after 5pm.

I’m not sure if the area in front of Ama Ama with lounge chairs and casabellas is still accessible, but if so, it may require heading to the beach path and then back up.
SuzanneSLO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

They're already refurbishing Aulani? Wasn't it opened like just yesterday? Boy, time flies.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

I was just there in March and the rooms were fine. Aulani certainly doesn’t have the wear and tear that the WDW resorts do, for some reason. I really wouldn’t have guessed it needed a refurb yet.

I do know there were upcoming plans to refurbish the pool area and SuzanneSLO gave a great update on that.

ME DH DS21 DD19
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
They're already refurbishing Aulani? Wasn't it opened like just yesterday? Boy, time flies.

Dirk
Just the pools are being refurbished, not the rooms.