home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #31
Janann
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I have used my Hilton timeshare to trade into RCI for DVC. Back in the good old days before the two bedroom units disappeared, we traded into two bedroom units at Old Key West and Kidani Village with a savannah view. Then all of the two bedroom units disappeared a few years ago, and now pretty much your only hope of trading into DVC is for a one bedroom unit. Saratoga Springs is the most frequent resort, but there are still rare stories of Old Key West and Kidani availability. We stayed at Saratoga Springs in June 2017 (exactly one year ago today!), and we are going again in October 2018.
Janann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #32
FCivish3

Default Can you ever, actually, use RCI to trade into DVC from outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank808 View Post
Only Hilton trades through RCI. All the other major hotel timeshares (westin, marriott, sheraton) trade through Interval International. 2br oceanfront at westin kaanapali, maui ocean club lahaina or napili towers or westin nanea would be some of the 2br units that people actually pay $1500 a night during certain seasons.
Worldmark also trades through RCI. RCI does have some decent properties, but the main ones we use are just our Worldmark properties: Reunion or Kingston Reef in Orlando, for Disney World and Worldmark on Katella Avenue or Worldmark Dolphin's Cove, both in Anaheim, for Disneyland.

A few years ago, 3 or 4, we used our RCI points from Worldmark to stay in a 2 bedroom, Savannah View at Kidani Village. Wonderful stay.

BUT, I have had a CONTINUOUS request in for almost 2 years at RCI, for ANY 2 bedroom DVC property at Disney World. At ANY week, ANY time. I even paid RCI a $250 fee to have them keep looking, and they report back to me each week, but there is NOTHING. No offers at all.

So, what do you need to do to use RCI to trade INTO Disney World from outside?

I think it is clear that DISNEY is just using RCI as a means to siphon more points from DVC members. The DVC member DOES get their exchange (haven't figured that one out yet, AND, I don't think it is EVER worth it) but Disney ends up with the points for sale.

Perhaps Disney is just taking the points and then PAYING RCI for whatever the DVC member is booking with those points.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #33
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
Worldmark also trades through RCI. RCI does have some decent properties, but the main ones we use are just our Worldmark properties: Reunion or Kingston Reef in Orlando, for Disney World and Worldmark on Katella Avenue or Worldmark Dolphin's Cove, both in Anaheim, for Disneyland.

A few years ago, 3 or 4, we used our RCI points from Worldmark to stay in a 2 bedroom, Savannah View at Kidani Village. Wonderful stay.

BUT, I have had a CONTINUOUS request in for almost 2 years at RCI, for ANY 2 bedroom DVC property at Disney World. At ANY week, ANY time. I even paid RCI a $250 fee to have them keep looking, and they report back to me each week, but there is NOTHING. No offers at all.

So, what do you need to do to use RCI to trade INTO Disney World from outside?

I think it is clear that DISNEY is just using RCI as a means to siphon more points from DVC members. The DVC member DOES get their exchange (haven't figured that one out yet, AND, I don't think it is EVER worth it) but Disney ends up with the points for sale.

Perhaps Disney is just taking the points and then PAYING RCI for whatever the DVC member is booking with those points.
The obstacle blocking your current path is that DVC hasn't deposited 2BR units in ages. Seems all the current DVC inventory given to RCI are 1BR units, mostly at SSR.

I've had ~9 exchanges into DVC through either RCI or II, mostly against Worldmark points: (1) Grand Villa 3BR @SSR ; (1) 2BR unit @BWV; (1) studio @BWV; (1) 1BR @ Vero and all the rest were 1BR @BWV. But these were years ago ...
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #34
FCivish3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
The obstacle blocking your current path is that DVC hasn't deposited 2BR units in ages. Seems all the current DVC inventory given to RCI are 1BR units, mostly at SSR.

I've had ~9 exchanges into DVC through either RCI or II, mostly against Worldmark points: (1) Grand Villa 3BR @SSR ; (1) 2BR unit @BWV; (1) studio @BWV; (1) 1BR @ Vero and all the rest were 1BR @BWV. But these were years ago ...
So, Id like to hear from ANYONE who has used RCI or II to trade INTO a DVC property in the last year, and how they did it.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #35
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
So, I’d like to hear from ANYONE who has used RCI or II to trade INTO a DVC property in the last year, and how they did it.
Suggestion: Go join the Timeshare User's Group. Their 'Sightings' board will show you all the recent sightings of DVC offered through both RCI Points and RCI Weeks. There is plenty of discussion on inbound trade strategies.

Site: http://www.tugbbs.com
Membership: $15 for the 1st year. Renewals are less ... likely free if you turn in a few resort reviews.

Edited to add: You are on the right track using the Ongoing search against Worldmark. However, if you really want that exchange you should drop the requirement from 2BR down to 1BR.

Last edited by bwvBound; 07-11-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #36
Janann

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcivish3
So, I’d like to hear from ANYONE who has used RCI or II to trade INTO a DVC property in the last year, and how they did it.
I've done it with a Hilton trade, with our current stay coming up at SSR in October 2018 in a 1 bedroom. Before that, we were at SSR in a 1 bedroom in June 2017. Earlier than that, we had two stays in two bedroom units at other resorts, but those units no longer exist in RCI.

There are still plenty of 1 bedroom SSR sightings on RCI. If you check online a few times a day for two weeks you will almost certainly see at least one SSR unit.

Last edited by Janann; 07-11-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Janann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #37
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janann View Post
There are still plenty of 1 bedroom SSR sightings on RCI.
Agreed, there are several 1BR SSR units out there even today.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #38
bwvBound
Grand Villa

@FCivish3,

Do you have two logins available to RCI?
a) your WM>RCI portal login
b) an individual login direct from rci.com?

If so, run a quick search on both sides for DVC. Through my individual account, I'm currently seeing 8 weeks at SSR, all 1BR units. However, if I access RCI using the WM>RCI portal (starting from my Worldmark account page), I see no DVC available.

I'm thinking there may be a glitch with the [mini-system]>RCI portals. This has also been reported for the HGVC>RCI portal and we are discussing the behavior over on TUG.